Thread: Over 400 of the World's Most Popular Websites Record Your Every Keystroke

Over 400 of the World's Most Popular Websites Record Your Every Keystroke

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/11...very-keystroke

The idea of websites tracking users isn't new, but research from Princeton University released last week indicates that online tracking is far more invasive than most users understand. In the first installment of a series titled "No Boundaries," three researchers from Princeton's Center for Information Technology Policy (CITP) explain how third-party scripts that run on many of the world's most popular websites track your every keystroke and then send that information to a third-party server. Some highly-trafficked sites run software that records every time you click and every word you type. If you go to a website, begin to fill out a form, and then abandon it, every letter you entered in is still recorded, according to the researchers' findings. If you accidentally paste something into a form that was copied to your clipboard, it's also recorded. These scripts, or bits of code that websites run, are called "session replay" scripts. Session replay scripts are used by companies to gain insight into how their customers are using their sites and to identify confusing webpages. But the scripts don't just aggregate general statistics, they record and are capable of playing back individual browsing sessions. The scripts don't run on every page, but are often placed on pages where users input sensitive information, like passwords and medical conditions. Most troubling is that the information session replay scripts collect can't "reasonably be expected to be kept anonymous," according to the researchers.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pro tip: this is how they capture passwords. Use the same password on multiple websites? They will know that. Accidentally type in your Facebook password on Amazon? Amazon now has your Facebook password.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Pro tip: this is how they capture passwords. Use the same password on multiple websites? They will know that. Accidentally type in your Facebook password on Amazon? Amazon now has your Facebook password.
    Its half the reason there is the push for biometrics. Of course, make something idiot proof and the world will build a better idiot.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

For real? I use the same password everywhere. I watched a Snowden video awhile back and he suggested using a phrase as a password. Something that would make sense to you but no one else. I tried that but by the time I worked in all the password requirements, my own phrase didn't even make sense to me.

I always use our street number for the numbers but my son uses 80085. It took me a minute to get it but I may have to steal that idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I tried that but by the time I worked in all the password requirements, my own phrase didn't even make sense to me.
    That is one of my pet peeves, that all the password requirements/rules end up making passwords less safe as people end up having to write them down somewhere just to remember them. especially the stupid ones that cause them to expire regularly and not let you reuse old pwds.

'nother pro tip: It evens happens on this site. Begin to type a message and you will see a little "Auto-Saved" box pop up on the bottom right. It'll continue to do that every once in a while as you type. It's one of the "features" of vBulletin.

EVERYTHING you do online is tracked and cataloged. Mostly, it is ever used for anything, but it's available. Just in case it is ever needed.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Here's a direct link to Princeton that you can scroll through the sites that have been found doing this.... SO FAR....

https://webtransparency.cs.princeton...lay_sites.html

Here is a keystroke encryption software that has a free version.

http://www.qfxsoftware.com/
    FJB