Thread: You can be fined for feeding the homeless outdoors in Atlanta

You can be fined for feeding the homeless outdoors in Atlanta

It's the giving season and as groups try to feed the homeless and hungry, many are getting stopped and even fined in Atlanta.

Over the weekend, groups gathered in Hurt Park and other locations in Atlanta to provide services to homeless people. Instead of their intended targets, they were greeted by police.

Torrey Tomlinson with Old National Entertainment said police shut down their efforts before they could get started.

Here we are with carloads and boxes and plates of food and they were telling us no we couldn't unload it to give it out," he said.

His group was there to give out food and coats as a part of their annual "We've Got You Covered" event. He said they've done this for four years and never had a permit.

His wasn't the only group turned away. While he was there, he saw at least five groups without permits turned around.

"People are just outraged and didn't know about the permit," he said.

Tomlinson's group packed up and found a church in downtown to set up shop, but the homeless population wasn't as large there.

In years past, the group typically set up at the corner of Peachtree and Pine streets but that homeless shelter closed this year and was not replaced with another.

He said the prospect of being fined for passing out supplies to needy people is hurtful.

"You feel like you're doing something illegal when you're doing an act of kindness," Tomlin said.

"We're just trying to bless others. I don't think we should be fined for blessing others. I don't think you need a permit for a random act of kindness."

Community member Jason Salter was there too and said, "We shouldn't feel like we're doing something illegal when we're giving back."

The ordinance requiring permits is not new and extends to all City of Atlanta parks. The enforcement of the ordinance is what changed.

Georgia State Police Chief Joseph Spillane said after a meeting with the city, their police department changed the way they enforced the ordinances. He said their new approach is focused at encouraging groups to partner with professionals in the field of serving the homeless population instead of going at it alone.

"If you give to a location that provides services to the homeless, services to people in need, you provide a better service because there is other service beside giving people a plate of food," he said.

Spillane said the department began passing out fliers explaining the permitting process about a month ago but said getting the word to every group is not easy, calling it an awareness issue because groups come from all over to serve meals to Atlanta's homeless people.

He also explained the reasons behind the change in enforcement saying feeding people outside raises a host of sanitation and logistical issues. Officials are now encouraging groups to partner with indoor facilities so that there are places to use the restroom, wash hands, etc.

The state of Georgia Department of Public Health regulates the permitting process for food service venders. According to state law 511-6-1-.02, a valid permit is required for all food service operations.

There is also a city of Atlanta ordinance requiring a permit for gatherings of more than 75 people.

Community member Tequia Lester didn't know about the permitting requirements and said when she arrived, they had an abundance to give to people who needed it.

"We had so much plates. So much clothes. Everything," she said. "It's just disheartening because we saw people with children out there."
    http://www.11alive.com/article/news/...source=twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe a church will loan buses to take the people "indoors" to feed them?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Cop: "I'm sorry I'm going to have to fine you for feeding the hungry."

Good Samaritan: "I'm sorry but I did nothing off the such."

Cop: "I just saw you give food to that homeless man."

Good Samaritan: "I was getting ready to eat a sandwich and that homeless man took it from my hand. It's a good thing I had an extra, because right after that another homeless man took my other sandwich."

Cop: "So, you are saying they stole from you?"

Good Samaritan" "I said nothing of the sort. I haven't reported a theft."

He said they've done this for four years and never had a permit.
    If he admitted as such, that should be enough to prosecute for this crime
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

"You feel like you're doing something illegal when you're doing an act of kindness," Tomlin said.
    "Feel like"? You are. If you don't have the permits, it is illegal, period.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    "Feel like"? You are. If you don't have the permits, it is illegal, period.
    Good point. No one should act on feeling. Ever. The should consult an attorney first.

Article used the word "permit" (or a form of it) 10 times. That is disturbing. Wonder if I should contact that news outlet and give them my standard line about "permits."

The government does not permit anything. They can only restrict. Also, government does not grant rights.

They can call it whatever they like, but that does not mean it is technically accurate. Vocabulary and words are influential, which is why government uses the word "permit."

"When words lose their meaning, people will lose their liberty." -- Confucius
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members