Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump and Jeff Sessions Are Going After More Sanctuary Cities

Trump and Jeff Sessions Are Going After More Sanctuary Cities

The Justice Department sent out letters to 29 cities, counties and states Wednesday warning that they were breaking the law by not cooperating with federal agents in the detention of undocumented immigrants.
    The letters point to specific policies in each of the targeted jurisdictions that the Justice Department said were in violation of a federal statute that prohibits local and state entities from enacting laws or policies that limit communication with the Department of Homeland Security. The letters asked for a response by December 8 detailing how the local policies address the federal statute.

More at: http://www.newsweek.com/sanctuary-ci...ews&yptr=yahoo
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Megan Barry of Nashville is trying to turn our city into a sanctuary city. I'm like, sanctuary for whom? Not for me, surely, and I've lived here 42 years.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

The U.S. Justice Department said Wednesday that the state of Oregon and Multnomah County are among so-called sanctuary jurisdictions that could lose public safety grants unless they prove they don't have laws and policies that allow withholding information from immigration agents.

More at: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...reatens_t.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Megan Barry of Nashville is trying to turn our city into a sanctuary city. I'm like, sanctuary for whom? Not for me, surely, and I've lived here 42 years.
    Luke 15:4

What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

And which man of you, having a hundred sheep that have just enough fodder for one hundred sheep would import twenty goats and prevent the shepherd from throwing out the goats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Luke 15:4
    What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
    John 10:1
    “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.”

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    And which man of you, having a hundred sheep that have just enough fodder for one hundred sheep would import twenty goats and prevent the shepherd from throwing out the goats?
    Luke 6:37

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Luke 6:37
    I forgive you for your post that has zero relevance to the question posed. Throw some rep at Swordsmyth for me, as I must spread some 'round.
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I forgive you for your post that has zero relevance to the question posed. Throw some rep at Swordsmyth for me, as I must spread some 'round.
    Already done. Swordsmith is on the list of people who get repped regularly.

Thank God that the federal government is now able to dictate to the States that they must cooperate in the prosecution of victimless crimes.

Liberty here we come.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Thank God that the federal government is now able to dictate to the States that they must cooperate in the prosecution of victimless crimes.

Liberty here we come.
    Article IV, Section 4... the United States promises to protect the States from Invasion... the State can't resist what is promised.

Article IV, Section 4... the United States promises to protect the States from Invasion... the State can't resist what is promised.
    It looks like rev3 to over from zippy as the troll in charge.

Article 1 Section 9

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Right, and "regulate commerce" meant tax people for growing tomatoes in their own yard.

Right, and "regulate commerce" meant tax people for growing tomatoes in their own yard.
    Article 1 Section 9

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I can't agree with that... the court case establishing that wheat grown by a farmer to consume himself being interstate commerce is one of the most unconstitutional boondoggles I have ever read, next to Robert's explanation on how Ocare isn't a direct tax.
    Still, taxing tomatoes is not the same as the directly stated promise mentioned. For the state to attempt to subvert delivery of that promise would be in violation of the Constitution as written.
    Last edited by fedupinmo; 11-15-2017 at 11:49 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't agree with that... the court case establishing that wheat grown by a farmer to consume himself being interstate commerce is one of the most unconstitutional boondoggles I have ever read, next to Robert's explanation on how Ocare isn't a direct tax.
    Still, taxing tomatoes is not the same as the directly stated promise mentioned. For the state to attempt to subvert delivery of that promise would be in violation of the Constitution as written.
    My point is that characterizing immigration as invasion is as much an abuse of language as characterizing home farming as interstate commerce.

My point is that characterizing immigration as invasion is as much an abuse of language as characterizing home farming as interstate commerce.
    Illegally entering our territory is invasion just as burglary is "home invasion".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Illegally entering our territory is invasion just as burglary is "home invasion".
    That only begs the question.

Look at me. I am such an intellectual. Have I convinced you already to my cause?

Seems like you have it backwards. Labor is a commodity. So it's the opposite of interstate commerce, where no boundaries are crossed by the home farmer.

Half of those in the country illegally actually entered legally. That is not invading. The Constitution says nothing about regulating immigration.

Q: When you ran for president in 1988, you said, “As in our country’s first 150 years, there shouldn’t be any immigration policy at all. We should welcome everyone who wants to come here and work.” You’ve changed your view.

A: And during that campaign I got into trouble with Libertarians because I said there may well be a time when immigration is like an invasion and we have to treat it differently. My approach to immigration is somewhat different than the others. Mine is you deal with it economically We’re in worse shape now because we subsidize immigration. We give food stamps, Social Security, free medical care, free education and amnesty. So you subsidize it, and you have a mess. Conditions have changed. And I think this means that we should look at immigration differently. It’s an economic issue more than anything. If our economy was in good health, I don’t think there’d be an immigration problem. We’d be looking for workers and we would be very generous.
    http://www.ontheissues.org/TX/Ron_Paul_Immigration.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Half of those in the country illegally actually entered legally. That is not invading. The Constitution says nothing about regulating immigration.

http://www.ontheissues.org/TX/Ron_Paul_Immigration.htm
    So you admit half ARE invading? the other half are still trespassing.

And the constitution does give the federal government power over immigration:

Article 1 Section 9

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Seems like you have it backwards. Labor is a commodity. So it's the opposite of interstate commerce, where no boundaries are crossed by the home farmer.
    Unless that farmer dares to sell raw milk to people who want it.
    There is no spoon.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So you admit half ARE invading? the other half are still trespassing.

And the constitution does give the federal government power over immigration:

Article 1 Section 9
    That article was dealing with slavery.

Invasion:

Definition of invasion

1 :an act of invading; especially :incursion of an army for conquest or plunder
    If I step onto your driveway, have I invaded your home? Am I trying to take over or control your property?

In order to deal with slaves they had to gid the government power over immigration or admit slaves to be property and not people, they chose to give the government power over immigration, some wanted to with or without slavery:

"Every society has a right to fix the fundamental principles of its association, and to say to all individuals, that if they contemplate pursuits beyond the limits of these principles and involving dangers which the society chooses to avoid, they must go somewhere else for their exercise; that we want no citizens, and still less ephemeral and pseudo-citizens, on such terms. We may exclude them from our territory, as we do persons infected with disease." --Thomas Jefferson to William H. Crawford, 1816. ME 15:28

But some of the States were not only anxious for a Constitutional provision against the introduction of slaves. They had scruples against admitting the term "slaves" into the Instrument. Hence the descriptive phrase, "migration or importation of persons;" the term migration allowing those who were scrupulous of acknowledging expressly a property in human beings, to view imported persons as a species of emigrants, while others might apply the term to foreign malefactors sent or coming into the country. It is possible tho' not recollected, that some might have had an eye to the case of freed blacks, as well as malefactors.

James Madison Letter to Robert Walsh, November 27, 1819 (emphasis added)

If I step onto your driveway, have I invaded your home? Am I trying to take over or control your property?
    Have I told you to stay off my driveway unless I give you permission? (STAY OFF MY DRIVEWAY UNLESS I GIVE YOU PERMISSION)

Now if you step on my driveway you are invading my property.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 11-16-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Invasion:

In order to deal with slaves they had to gid the government power over immigration or admit slaves to be property and not people, they chose to give the government power over immigration, some wanted to with or without slavery:

"Every society has a right to fix the fundamental principles of its association, and to say to all individuals, that if they contemplate pursuits beyond the limits of these principles and involving dangers which the society chooses to avoid, they must go somewhere else for their exercise; that we want no citizens, and still less ephemeral and pseudo-citizens, on such terms. We may exclude them from our territory, as we do persons infected with disease." --Thomas Jefferson to William H. Crawford, 1816. ME 15:28

But some of the States were not only anxious for a Constitutional provision against the introduction of slaves. They had scruples against admitting the term "slaves" into the Instrument. Hence the descriptive phrase, "migration or importation of persons;" the term migration allowing those who were scrupulous of acknowledging expressly a property in human beings, to view imported persons as a species of emigrants, while others might apply the term to foreign malefactors sent or coming into the country. It is possible tho' not recollected, that some might have had an eye to the case of freed blacks, as well as malefactors.

James Madison Letter to Robert Walsh, November 27, 1819 (emphasis added)

Have I told you to stay off my driveway unless I give you permission? (STAY OFF MY DRIVEWAY UNLESS I GIVE YOU PERMISSION)

Now if if you step on my driveway you are invading my property.
    http://www.annenbergclassroom.org/pa...le-i-section-9

Article I, Section 9 specifically prohibits Congress from legislating in certain areas. In the first clause, the Constitution bars Congress from banning the importation of slaves before 1808.
    https://www.thoughtco.com/constituti...tion-9-3322344

Explanation: This clause relates to the slave trade. It prevented Congress from restricting the importation of slaves prior to 1808. It did allow Congress to levy a duty of up to 10 dollars for each slave. In 1807, the international slave trade was blocked and no more slaves were allowed to be imported into the US.
    https://constitutionallawreporter.co...01-section-09/

After listing the various powers that Congress has, the Constitution turns to powers that Congress does not have. First, Congress may not ban the importation of slaves into the United States until the set date of 1808.

Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel Poet View Post
    Article 1 section 9 gives the federal government power over immigration after 1808, it does so by prohibiting it UNTIL 1808 thereby granting it after 1808.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast