Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military Coup Reportedly Under Way In Zimbabwe

Military Coup Reportedly Under Way In Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe is on edge amid speculation that a military coup is in progress, with army tanks seen outside the capital a day after the army commander threatened to "step in" to calm political tensions over the president's firing of his vice president. The Associated Press said it saw three tanks with several soldiers in a convoy on a road heading toward an army barracks just outside the capital, Harare, while Reuters reported that four tanks were seen heading toward the capital.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...r-way-zimbabwe
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The essential problem there, as in most of the third world, is political instability; that's what incentivizes the outlandishly stupid economic policies.

If there is a coup, that *could* be a good thing, in the long run, if the new regime is able to make itself more politically secure than the old.

We'll see.

Something is happening in Zimbabwe. It might be a coup. It might not. It probably is not.

https://www.africandefence.net/something-is-happening-in-zimbabwe-it-might-be-a-coup-it-might-not-it-probably-is-not/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A total of seven tanks were spotted on the move.

That's probably all it would take to have the whole pie.

A shiitt pie.

Zimbabwe Military Commander Denies Coup: Only "Targeting Criminals That Cause Economic Suffering In The Country"

Update: News24 reports that Zimbabwe military commander Chiwenga says on state television that this is not a military coup.

Chiwenga goes to say that the military will bring to justice those who are responsible for "social and economic suffering in the country," that Mugabe and his family are safe, and they are targeting "criminals" around the Mugabe family.. promising the situation will return to normal soon.
    The commander adds that "this is an attempt to stop a degenerating system, asks veterans to play a responsible role ," and concludes by asking several sectors in society... "churches, traditional leaders.. to play their role during this period and "to the media please report responsibly."
    Update: AFP reports that gunfire was heard close to Mugabe's private residence.
    As we detailed earlier, following at least three explosions across Zimbabwe's capital city tonight - following what appears to be the start of a military coup as tanks rolled in - the US embassy in Harare has been closed. Additionally, reports state that troops have deployed on the streets and have seized the state broadcaster.
    As we detailed earlier, The Associated Press said it saw three tanks with several soldiers in a convoy on a road heading toward an army barracks just outside the capital, Harare, while Reuters reported that four tanks were seen heading toward the capital.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...ary-seize-stat

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Additionally, reports state that troops have deployed on the streets and have seized the state broadcaster.
    Well, that certainly sounds like a coup.

The military detained Finance Minister Ignatius Chombo on Wednesday, a government source said. Chombo was a leading member of the so-called 'G40' faction of the ruling ZANU-PF party, led by Mugabe's wife Grace, that had been vying to succeed Mugabe.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/soldiers-...003457233.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Zimbabwe's army urges other security services to "cooperate for the good of our country," warning that "any provocation will be met with an appropriate response."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lates...183620499.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Zimbabwe military assures judiciary its independence is guaranteed, says will protect civil service against planned purge.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-...QuHlMFLTI.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South African President Jacob Zuma said he was sending his ministers of defense and state security to Zimbabwe to meet with Mugabe and the military there. He said he hopes Zimbabwe's army will respect the constitution and that the situation "is going to be controlled."
    Who will rule Zimbabwe should become clearer in the coming days.
    "There is a soft transition underway," said Zimbabwean analyst Alex Rusero.
    "The whole idea is that the military has always been the chief broker" in Mugabe's ruling party, he said. "But there were attempts to sideline the military by G40 and (the military) are reasserting their position."
    Mnangagwa may well be installed as a transitional leader to return Zimbabwe to constitutional rule, Rusero said.
    Zimbabwe may enter a period of negotiation to get Mugabe to step down voluntarily, said Piers Pigou, southern Africa consultant for the International Crisis Group, who also suggested that Mnangagwa may be an interim leader.
    "Zimbabwe could have some kind of inclusive government and some kind of democratic process, possibly leading to elections," Pigou said. "It's clearly a coup d'etat, but typical of Zimbabwe, the military is trying to put a veneer of legality on the process. ... It is part of the theater that Zimbabwe is so good at, to try to make things look orderly and democratic. South Africa and other neighboring countries may be brought in to help put some lipstick on the pig."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/zimbabwe-...053415929.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

In his first contact with the outside world since the takeover, Mugabe spoke by telephone to the president of South Africa, Jacob Zuma, and told him he was confined to his home but fine, the South African presidency said in a statement.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-zi...-idUSKBN1DF025

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Bloomberg reports that Mugabe is said to be “Preparing to Step Down” and negotiating for his wife Grace to leave the African nation”, citing unconfirmed reports from News24.

Zimbabwe’s privately-owned NewsDay is reporting several members of the Zanu-PF ruling party have been detained by the army, according to News24.
    Zimbabwe's privately-owned NewsDay is saying that at least three leading figures in the Generation 40 (G40) faction of Zanu-PF who had been reportedly fomenting chaos in the ruling party were picked up in the early hours of Wednesday following the intervention of the country's Defence Forces. Although the reports remain unconfirmed at the moment, indications are that Finance minister Ignatius Chombo (Zanu PF's secretary for administration), national commissar Saviour Kasukuwere and Higher Education minister Jonathan Moyo were arrested in raids at their respective homes. Moyo is believed to have been the brains behind the G40 faction that has reportedly been masterminding the expulsion of liberation war heroes in ZANU-PF, including the recent sacking of former Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa, the report says.
    More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...ors-watch-rand

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The ruling ZANU-PF party later tweeted that former Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa, whom Mugabe had ousted last week, had stepped in as interim president, and South Africa's News24 reported that Mugabe, 93, is "preparing to step down." The ZANU-PF account called Wednesday's military takeover of the capital a "bloodless transition," and said Mugabe and his wife, Grace, are "detained and safe."

More at: http://theweek.com/speedreads/737473...ess-transition

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Zimbabwe's state broadcaster has interrupted its programming to air an apology by the ruling party's youth leader to army commanders for "denigrating" them.
    Kudzanai Chipanga says the statement he made earlier this week attacking the military did not originate with him. He also said he was making his public apology without coercion.
    He says that "by this big mistake we have learned a lot."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-zi...073026969.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Zimbabwe's state broadcaster has interrupted its programming to air an apology by the ruling party's youth leader to army commanders for "denigrating" them.
    Kudzanai Chipanga says the statement he made earlier this week attacking the military did not originate with him. He also said he was making his public apology without coercion.
    He says that "by this big mistake we have learned a lot."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-zi...073026969.html
    Yes, they learned who's in charge.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/zimbabwes-...opstories.html

Zimbabwe's military apparently seized control of the southern African nation overnight, deploying tanks to the capital, taking control of the state-run broadcaster and confining longtime leader Robert Mugabe to his residence.

It's uncharted waters for Zimbabweans. Mugabe, 93, has led the country since its independence in 1980, making him the world's oldest head of state. Despite his age and concerns over his health, Mugabe so far has showed no signs of relinquishing his grip on power.

In December of last year, Zimbabwe's ruling party confirmed Mugabe as its sole candidate for the 2018 election.

Just last week, Mugabe dismissed his deputy and longtime ally, Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa, and accused him of scheming to take power, including through witchcraft, according to the Associated Press.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, the world's oldest head of state, refused to resign during a crunch meeting Thursday with military generals who have seized control of the country.The talks in Harare came after tumultuous days in which soldiers blockaded key roads, took over state TV and put the veteran leader under house arrest.

"They met today. He is refusing to step down. I think he is trying to buy time," said a source close to the army leadership who declined to be named.
    Mugabe's motorcade took him from his private residence to State House for the talks which included envoys from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) regional bloc. A Catholic priest was also present for the gathering, according to the state-run Herald news site.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/stunned-z...042213901.html

A Catholic Priest?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Reports That All Ten Branches Of Mugabe's Zanu PF Party Passed No Confidence Votes

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-17/zimbabwe-reports-all-ten-branches-mugabes-zanu-pf-party-passed-no-confidence-votes-h

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Mugabe was spotted at a graduation ceremony on Friday despite being under house arrest in the wake of the military coup in Zimbabwe.
    Mr Mugabe has been ordered to resign or face impeachment, however, the 93-year-old has refused to back down amid the threats.
    Doctor Brilliant Mhlanga, an academic at the University of Hertfordshire, warned of a possible civil conflict as Mr Mugabe clings on to power.
    He told talkRADIO: “The situation is still very tense and very dangerous. In fact, I should highlight that this is a coup, by the way.

“If this government continues the way it is there is the possibility of a kind of civil conflict,” he said.
    “There may be some need for the military to intervene and it is still a very big possibility.”
    Doctor Mhlanga said surrounding countries, such as Angola and Namibia, could be keen to join in any military action in Zimbabwe.

More at: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...il-war-warning

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Mugabe Admits 'Mistakes', But Refuses To Resign In Defiant Speech

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-19/president-gone-zimbabwe-ruling-party-officially-ousts-mugabe

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Zimbabwe's military says longtime President Robert Mugabe has begun working toward "a definitive solution and roadmap for the country," even as he faces impeachment.
    The military says it has held further meetings with Mugabe since his national address Sunday night that defied calls to resign.
    In a press conference aired on state-run television, the military says it is encouraged by new developments that include "contact" between Mugabe and his recently fired deputy Emmerson Mnangagwa, who is now poised to succeed him and will return to Zimbabwe "shortly."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-zi...082900949.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Zimbabwe’s Speaker of Parliament Jacob Mudenda had barely finished reading the rules and regulations of how impeachment proceedings would proceed against President Robert Mugabe when the 93-year-old leader and former revolutionary surprised his colleagues by officially resigning the presidency – something he had been reluctant to do even after the military placed him under house arrest last week.
    Both Reuters and the Associated Press confirmed that Mugabe had resigned, citing an announcement made by Mudenda.

BREAKING: President Robert Mugabe has resigned, Speaker of Parliament confirms
    — Zim Media Review (@ZimMediaReview) November 21, 2017
    "I Robert Gabriel Mugabe in terms of section 96 of the constitution of Zimbabwe hereby formally tender my resignation... with immediate effect," said speaker Mudenda, reading Mugabe's letter.
    "My decision to resign was voluntary on my part."
    Zimbabwe's Parliament has erupted in cheers as the speaker announces the resignation of President Robert Mugabe. The speaker stopped impeachment proceedings to say they had received a letter from Mugabe with the resignation "with immediate effect." It is an extraordinary end for the world's oldest head of state after 37 years in power.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...mugabe-resigns

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

According to state broadcaster ZBC, Zimbabwe's former vice president, Emmerson Mnangagwa, will be sworn in as president Nov. 24, Reuters reported.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...ent-set-nov-24

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Former Zimbabwean Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa, better known as the crocodile, took the oath of office Nov. 24 before being sworn in as president during an event at Harare's national stadium, Reuters reported.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...e-sworn-office

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A Zimbabwe High Court has ruled that the military takeover that led to Robert Mugabe's ousting was legal, raising immediate concerns about judicial independence under the country's new administration.Army chiefs put military vehicles on the streets of Harare and placed veteran leader Mugabe, 93, under house arrest, before he resigned on Tuesday.
    Many Zimbabweans celebrated the end of Mugabe's 37-year rule, but fear the new government under President Emmerson Mnangagwa could also be an authoritarian regime.
    "Actions by the Zimbabwe Defence Forces to stop the usurping of power by those close to former president Robert Mugabe are constitutional," state-run ZBC media on Saturday reported the court as saying.
    In an apparent reference to Mugabe's wife Grace and her supporters, it said the court ruled Friday that the takeover was "to ensure the non-elected individual do not exercise powers that can only be exercised by (those) elected".

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zimbabwe-...103048493.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Deposed Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe to Receive $10m 'Golden Goodbye'

Robert Mugabe and his wife are set to retire in luxury after Zimbabwe granted its deposed president a $10 million “golden goodbye” package.
    The 93-year-old will also receive immunity from prosecution and full military protection despite being ousted by a military takeover.

On top of the lump sum, Mugabe will enjoy his full presidential salary of $150,000 until his death, after which time his 52-year-old wife Grace Mugabe will continue to receive half of the salary.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/deposed-z...133006655.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Zimbabwe police, army to patrol together after Mugabe ouster

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zimbabwe-police-army-patrol-together-mugabe-ouster-105044710.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Zimbabwe's president names top military officers in new cabinet

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zimbabwes-president-names-top-military-officers-cabinet-233017085.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Zimbabwe’s vice president Constantino Chiwenga and his wife sustained minor injuries from a blast at a political rally, a source close to President Emmerson Mnangagwa told Reuters on Saturday.

Mnangagwa’s spokesman said earlier that the president was not hurt in the blast at a stadium in the second city of Bulawayo and was taken to safety.

More at: https://af.reuters.com/article/topNe...BN1JJ0MC-OZATP

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast