Thread: Army Lowers Recruiting Standards To Allow Soldiers With History Of Self-Mutilation, Bipolar

Army Lowers Recruiting Standards To Allow Soldiers With History Of Self-Mutilation, Bipolar

Since the beginning of the year, much ink has been spilled about the Army’s increasingly desperate attempts to fill its lofty recruiting quota for fiscal year 2017-2018: That is, 80,000 new soldiers. To hit that number, the Army has repeatedly loosened its recruiting requirements. Last month, the military introduced a new policy that would forgive recruits with a history of marijuana use or certain marijuana related criminal violations...
    ...and now, the military is taking those efforts one step further, with USA Today reporting today that the Army has expanded its criteria for granting “waivers” to certain recruits who violate criteria related to mental-health violations like having a history of bipolar disorder, or self-mutilation. The military said this expansion is justified by the increasing availability of medical records allowing recruiters to analyze a potential recruit’s history in greater detail to make a more accurate assessment as to whether they’re fit to serve.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...n-bipolar-diso
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What do they need them for? They are not even a cannon fodder.

These are probably pre-2009 standards. I couldn't get in because I was prescribed adderall when I was younger, but guys who enlisted before me I know were on all types of chemicals before (during and after) enlisting. I even had a letter from my then psychiatrist, my upper hooker upper, clear me and vouch for my normalitude.

More guys on the payroll usually means more works a comin...
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 11-13-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Need more veterans with psych and criminal discharges to buy guns and cause more chaos in civvie-land. That will help justify the cop worship. Need more wolves to keep the coyotes in check. Farmer Jones has quite the gig running the animal farm.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-27-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    From earlier this year:
    Army to spend $300 million on bonuses and ads to get 6,000 more recruits

That works out to $50K per new recruit.
    That seems like a lot of advertising money to me , but I guess TV commercials are very expensive .

Wait a minute , self mutilation and bi polar ? Is not the Marine Corp going to be upset when they find the Army stealing its recruits ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Wait a minute , self mutilation and bi polar ? Is not the Marine Corp going to be upset when they find the Army stealing its recruits ?
    They would, if they were able to find out.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

People with self-mutilation, bipolar, depression, drug and alcohol abuse can now join Army

WASHINGTON – People with a history of “self-mutilation,” bipolar disorder, depression and drug and alcohol abuse can now seek waivers to join the Army under an unannounced policy enacted in August, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY.

The decision to open Army recruiting to those with mental health conditions comes as the service faces the challenging goal of recruiting 80,000 new soldiers through September 2018. To meet last year's goal of 69,000, the Army accepted more recruits who fared poorly on aptitude tests, increased the number of waivers granted for marijuana use and offered hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses.

Expanding the waivers for mental health is possible in part because the Army now has access to more medical information about each potential recruit, Lt. Col. Randy Taylor, an Army spokesman, said in a statement. The Army issued the ban on waivers in 2009 amid an epidemic of suicides among troops.

“The decision was primarily due to the increased availability of medical records and other data which is now more readily available,” Taylor's statement to USA TODAY said. “These records allow Army officials to better document applicant medical histories.”

But accepting recruits with those mental health conditions in their past carries risks, according to Elspeth Ritchie, a psychiatrist who retired from the Army as a colonel in 2010 and is an expert on waivers for military service. People with a history of mental health problems are more likely to have those issues resurface than those who do not, she said.

“It is a red flag,” she said. “The question is, how much of a red flag is it?”
    Source: USA Today
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sorry about that. This one can be deleted then....
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post
    Sorry about that. This one can be deleted then....
    No problem, it happens to all of us.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    No problem, it happens to all of us.

One should self exile for a week when this happens without doing a proper search first before posting.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post

Last edited by Raginfridus; 11-13-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Meh, they used to send inmates off to war.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I do no see this as bing a good idea. *sigh*
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.