Thread: Should the Public Sector be Privatized?

Should the Public Sector be Privatized?

Hi all,
    I'm sort of new to the "Libertarian" movement, as i'm more of a conservative (even though i do agree with a lot of the Libertarian values), however i would like to hear your opinions on this topic. What are the pros and cons of the Public Sector as well

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In my mind I ask. should the government be involved in this service/thing. The answer is usually no as the private sector responds to markets much faster than government does. I would like to see the government involved in National Defense, postal service and maintaining interstate highways and we have a flat tax of 5% which is easily understood.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

tl;dr-Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Hmm..vague question isn't going to get much in the ways of answers.

Anyways, yes. Oddly enough, had liberal co-workers talk politics today, specifically healthcare. This was literally one of their arguments about healthcare: "The free market is better at being more efficient, but does a terrible job of valuing people's lives." So...in essence, it doesn't matter how much suffering you inflict, as long as at the end of the day you can feel good about yourself and your liberal beliefs are satiated.

Another guy said "healthcare isn't a commodity. These are lives!" Ok, so because you're uncomfortable with the fact that healthcare is a service that has to be provided by somebody who has to make a living, we live in a world of magic and fantasy? From Confucius: “The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.” Stop ignoring reality.

There is no government magic. As much as people worship government as a savior, it isn't a God. It's a bureaucracy that is detached from market feedback which leads to mal-investments and inefficiencies. That's why we established a limited government. It's supposed to provide a limited framework for society to function, not solve all our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 106459 View Post
    Hmm..vague question isn't going to get much in the ways of answers.
    This. ^^^ Be more specific.

What concerns you most? The roads? The children? The poor? The police? The military? Healthcare? The environment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by bda_conservatism View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm sort of new to the "Libertarian" movement, as i'm more of a conservative (even though i do agree with a lot of the Libertarian values), however i would like to hear your opinions on this topic. What are the pros and cons of the Public Sector as well
    Any Federal not covered under Article One Section Eight should not be part of public sector or pd with tax money . Social Sec and Medicare are entirely different that they are individually taxed/funded . that money should be held in a fund only for that and not mixed in the general slush fund . While in violation of the constitution they would be impossible to get rid of because the govt cannot reimburse people the money they would owe them as they have spent it all . So , that leaves State spending , County Spending etc and yes there is opportunity to privatize services there that are needed .

Some things should be privatized others shouldn't, and nothing should be partly both, also some things government should do should have private competition.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by 106459 View Post
    "The free market is better at being more efficient, but does a terrible job of valuing people's lives."
    That's not true. I think the value of an average slave is about $3M which seems to be a bit above the actual market value.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    That's not true. I think the value of an average slave is about $3M which seems to be a bit above the actual market value.
    How did you learn the market value of slaves, sir? #soundsmightysuspicious
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    How did you learn the market value of slaves, sir? #soundsmightysuspicious
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_of_life

It seems my data is a bit old. The current number is $6M-$9M

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Any Federal not covered under Article One Section Eight should not be part of public sector or pd with tax money . Social Sec and Medicare are entirely different that they are individually taxed/funded . that money should be held in a fund only for that and not mixed in the general slush fund . While in violation of the constitution they would be impossible to get rid of because the govt cannot reimburse people the money they would owe them as they have spent it all . So , that leaves State spending , County Spending etc and yes there is opportunity to privatize services there that are needed .
    Therein lies the problem. If they switch to a for-realsies individual fund-type system, they won't be able to raid it-which is un-congresslike. They'd also have to totally restructure disability, as disability claims are currently paid from SSI (known as SSID).

Seems like way more work and sacrifice than we can reasonably expect from congrescritters to me...

Many apologies for being so vague. It was decently late, and just wanted to get an answer
    As for your reply, i completely agree. A government needs to stop interfering with how people run their lives, and stop solving everyone's problems who is too lazy to work or get an education.

Depends on what you mean. Do you mean privatized as in having the government pay private companies to provide the services they currently do? If so, no. Do you mean close down the government and let people contract with each other for these services? Then yes.

Q. If the state were privatized, literally sold off to the highest bidder, what might be another name for the resulting form of government?