Thread: Porcini Mushrooms May Help Keep You Young

Porcini Mushrooms May Help Keep You Young

I could've sworn there was a mushroom thread that didn't have to do with psychedelics. If anyone knows of it, lemme know and I'll get this one merged.

Newser) – Hoping to age gracefully? You might consider tossing some porcini mushrooms in the shopping cart. A new study out of Penn State finds that mushrooms in general contain high levels of antioxidants ergothioneine and glutathione, and some varieties are more potent than others. "What we found is that, without a doubt, mushrooms are [the] highest dietary source of these two antioxidants taken together, and that some types are really packed with both of them," Robert Beelman says in a release. The wild porcini mushroom popular in Italy, for example, had "by far" the highest amounts of any mushroom tested. But though white button mushrooms had the least, they still had more than most other foods, reports Newsweek.

And there's no need to eat mushrooms raw, because cooking doesn't seem to affect the compounds. So what makes ergothioneine and glutathione so helpful? Research is ongoing, but it's believed they protect against atoms known as free radicals, which damage or age the body over time, per New Atlas. Beelman even floats the provocative stat that countries such as Italy and France, where people typically eat the equivalent of 5 button mushrooms a day more than Americans, have lower rates of neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. He cautions that it's way too early to draw any firm conclusions from that, but says researchers will explore the topic.
    http://www.newser.com/story/251418/p...you-young.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think here is one you started: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...l-Youth-Elixir

I also like Reishi Mushrooms too.

Anti-aging Properties
    With popular names such as “king of herbs” and the “10,000-year old mushroom”, reishi mushrooms have been highly praised in herbal medicine for thousands of years for their effects on longevity. In ancient times, those seeking immortality often used reishi mushrooms because of this belief. However, modern studies have positively linked reishi mushrooms to certain lifespan expansion, namely due to the impressive polysaccharide content of these fungi. This is accomplished by boosting the health of the immune system and preventing certain abnormal blood vessel formation. Furthermore, certain antioxidant properties of other organic compounds in reishi mushrooms neutralize free radicals, which can cause chronic diseases and premature aging.
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...mushrooms.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I thought that sounded familiar.

I also like Reishi Mushrooms too.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...mushrooms.html
    Never heard of them but I'm not very knowledgeable about different varieties. I think I've only had the white one's in the grocery store and portabellas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.