Thread: Venezuela Officially Declared In Default

Venezuela Officially Declared In Default

From Bloomberg:

From the statement:

Wilmington Trust, National Association is communicating the following to you in its capacity as successor trustee (the “Trustee”) to The Bank of New York, as trustee, under the Indenture dated as of April 10, 2008 (the “Indenture”) for the $650,000,000 8.50% Senior Notes due 2018 (the “Notes”) of C.A. La Electricidad de Caracas (the “Issuer”). In a letter to the Trustee and various other parties dated November 30, 2012, National Electricity Corporation, S.A. (CORPOELEC) advised that it is the successor by merger to the Issuer. Capitalized terms used herein but not defined herein shall have the respective meanings set forth in the Indenture.

Please be advised that the Paying Agent with respect to the Notes has advised the Trustee that the payment of interest on the Notes that was due on October 10, 2017 was not received by the Paying Agent. The Issuer’s failure to pay interest on the Notes when due on October 10, 2017 constitutes a Default under the Indenture. The Paying Agent has further notified the Trustee that the interest payment was not received by November 9, 2017.

The Issuer’s failure to pay the overdue interest on the Notes on or before November 9, 2017 constitutes an Event of Default under Section 5.1(ii) of the Indenture. Pursuant to Section 5.1(b) of the Indenture, if an Event of Default shall occur and be continuing and has not been waived, the Holders of at least 25% in principal amount of Outstanding Notes may declare the principal of, and premium, if any, accrued interest and Additional Amounts, if any, on all the Notes to be due and payable by notice in writing to the Issuer and the Trustee specifying the Event of Default and that such notice is a “notice of acceleration”, and the same shall become immediately due and payable.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...terest-payment
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    S&P Downgrades Venezuela To "Selective Default" After Bondholder Meeting Devolves Into Total Chaos

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-13/sp-downgrades-venezuela-selective-default-after-bondholder-meeting-devolves-total-ch

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This was clearly an act of capitalist sabotage.

Maduro shall issue an emergency order declaring dirt to be food and the revolution will be saved.

...on another note, what kind of idiot would lend to Venezuela at 8.5%?

Brazil considers Venezuela to have defaulted on a $262 million payment to Brazilian suppliers due in September, Valor reported Nov. 13.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...payment-brazil

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why would you lend them money ? I guess you could take the value in land .....

After rating agencies declared Venezuela in selective default and after a meeting with creditors on debt restructuring failed earlier this week, the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA)—a finance industry body—has voted that both Venezuela and its state oil firm PDVSA had defaulted on their debt payments.
    The vote by the New York-based industry group will trigger payouts on debt default insurance on its bonds, the so-called credit default swaps (CDS) that investors use to protect against defaults.
    In a unanimous 15-0 vote, the members of ISDA’s Americas Determinations Committee voted on Thursday that “a failure to pay credit event occurred with respect to Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.”
    The members of the committee—which includes Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Deutsche Bank, Barclays, and Credit Suisse, among others—decided to meet again on Monday, November 20, to continue discussions on how to proceed and discuss an auction that is expected to determine the amount that holders of CDS will be paid.
    The committee also voted that “a failure to pay credit event had occurred” with respect to PDVSA, and a more detailed analysis will be prepared. The group will also discuss on November 20 how to proceed with CDS on Venezuela’s oil firm’s bonds.

More at: https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...n-Default.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Why would you lend them money ? I guess you could take the value in land .....
    Apparently they didn't loan them enough. Obviously this is America's fault.

Bankrupt Venezuela Is Demanding Oil From JV Partners Without Payment

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-21/bankrupt-venezuela-demanding-oil-jv-partners-without-payment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Citgo President Jose Pereira and five of the company’s vice presidents have been detained in Venezuela on embezzlement charges, according to emerging reports.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...t-Charges.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment