Thread: Virtue of consumerism

Virtue of consumerism

Consumerism is often used as a negative term by the left but could it be an ideology that benefits the world?

If the middle east cared more about Black Friday then religious holidays would there be continuos war between the different faiths?

Would Cuba remain communist if they were able to taste the delious flavor of an Arby's Melt?

Would the Russian revolution happen if they watched the World Series instead of reading the communist manifesto?

Maybe instead of starting war with North Korea maybe we can add them on x-box live and play some call of duty.

What's everyone's thoughts?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Everything in moderation. (including moderation)
    Balance is essential. (including a balance between balance and imbalance)
    We have too much consumerism, others might have too little.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 11-04-2017 at 01:16 AM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I think people would prefer a Cadillac CT6 over the sickle and cross

Quote Originally Posted by Mikezelot View Post
    Consumerism is often used as a negative term by the left but could it be an ideology that benefits the world?

If the middle east cared more about Black Friday then religious holidays would there be continuos war between the different faiths?

Would Cuba remain communist if they were able to taste the delious flavor of an Arby's Melt?

Would the Russian revolution happen if they watched the World Series instead of reading the communist manifesto?

Maybe instead of starting war with North Korea maybe we can add them on x-box live and play some call of duty.

What's everyone's thoughts?
    That's exactly right, well said.

Most people want the same thing: wealth, peace, being left alone to go about their business.

The worst atrocities in human history (Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler, etc) all result from ECONOMIC catastrophes.

When people become desperate, things become extremely irrational.

Throw a couple million chickens at the residents of St. Peterburg c. 1916-17, there wouldn't have been a revolution.

So, yes, God bless consumerism.

Ascetics are not to be trusted.

I hate the term "consumer" as opposed to "customer" or "buyer" or "owner", but otherwise I agree.

The only only trouble is that liberty is often clouded and lost just as easily as those other, more negative, philosophies would be.

The real problem is when people start spending money they don't have. Everyone's gotta have that new I-phone 30, complete with all the features of I-phone 29 but frivolous new feature added!

Unfortunately they can't scrounge up $50 to go see a doc when they get sick every now and then. No no, those costs are someone else's problem.

As a society we have forgotten the difference between NEEDS and WANTS. It's critical. If you cannot tell what your needs are then you become incapable of caring for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Ascetics are not to be trusted.
    Asceticism is a choice. State-controlled starvation is not.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Throw a couple million chickens at the residents of St. Peterburg c. 1916-17, there wouldn't have been a revolution.
    Or cake, as the case may be. The problem with autocracies is more often than not, the interests of the swineherd don't include slopping their passel of hogs.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.