Thread: Jeff Deist on Why Smaller is Better

Jeff Deist on Why Smaller is Better

Virtually every aspect of human life becomes more decentralized every day. Technology makes the old hub-and-spoke model of organizations obsolete; highly diffuse and ever-changing networks are the order of the day. So why is governance going in the other direction, becoming more and more centralized? Why do we accept the loss of local control and self-determination, yielding to national and even supra-national bureaucracies?

Jeff Deist spoke last week at a meeting of America's Future Foundation (https://AmericasFuture.org) on the why smaller government units are better, and how the Swiss principle of subsidiarity could help ease the nasty cultural and political divides facing America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jeff Whatever is weak and not a libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

Makes sense, that why he's only the president of the Mises Institure. He's not a real global government libertarian like you.

Makes sense, that why he's only the president of the Mises Institure. He's not a real global government libertarian like you.
    Yes, Mises would have been a big fan of retard Hitler Trump...

Do you read?

Yes, Mises would have been a big fan of retard Hitler Trump...

Do you read?
    I have seen no evidence he is a big supporter of Trump. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

I guess he would rather talk about Trumpy Bear.

But, for the liberal, the world does not end at the borders of the state. In his eyes, whatever significance national boundaries have is only incidental and subordinate. His political thinking encompasses the whole of mankind. The starting-point of his entire political philosophy is the conviction that the division of labor is international and not merely national. He realizes from the very first that it is not sufficient to establish peace with in each country, that it is much more important that all nations live at peace with one another. The liberal therefore demands that the political organization of society be extended until it reaches its culmination in a world state that unites all nations on an equal basis. For this reason he sees the law of each nation as subordinate to international law, and that is why he demands supranational tribunals and administrative authorities to assure peace among nations in the same way that the judicial and executive organs of each country are charged with the maintenance of peace within its own territory.

I have seen no evidence he is a big supporter of Trump. Perhaps you could enlighten me?
    My advice-don't debate that autistic guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's here plenty of wasted activity.

...most of these are quite thick.

So, ...

I've been telling the ladies that for years...

Ahem.

I'll show myself out.

predictable.
    "The only path to liberty is an unapproachable central government who doles it out."
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Said by someone who thinks Gary Johnson is a libertarian.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi