Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul: Have to Cut Taxes on Top 1 Percent or It’s Not a ‘Significant Tax Cut’

Rand Paul: Have to Cut Taxes on Top 1 Percent or It’s Not a ‘Significant Tax Cut’

THE LAURA INGRAHAM SHOW PODCAST 11/02/17 - FULL SHOW

Rand Paul: We'll See Growth, But This is Not a Significant Tax Cut

Rand Paul: Have to Cut Taxes on Top 1 Percent or It’s Not a ‘Significant Tax Cut’

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said Thursday on “The Laura Ingraham Show” that the House’s tax plan will deliver economic growth, although it doesn’t really constitute “a significant tax cut” as President Donald Trump said it would.

The House’s watered-down Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, released Thursday, would reduce the number of income tax brackets to four, with rates of zero percent, 12 percent, 25 percent and 35 percent. In addition, the corporate tax rate drops from 35 percent to 20 percent — short of the 15 percent tax rate Trump championed on the campaign trail, but still a significant change.

Although Paul applauded some aspects of the bill's content, he expressed disappointment, saying the proposed legislation as it now stands wouldn't deliver the "significant tax cut" Trump and Republicans promised.

"If you don't cut the top 1 percent, you don't really have a significant tax cut," Paul told LifeZette Editor-in-Chief Laura Ingraham. "What they've done is, they've bought into the class warfare on the individual side."

"So at the top, there's not going to be much of a tax cut. There will be some. And in the middle, there's going to be a little bit — there's mostly going to be eliminating deductions. And at the bottom, the bottom already don't pay much income tax and will continue not to pay much income tax," Paul added.

The senator from Kentucky said that if the U.S. wants to create jobs and keep them in the country, Congress must "lessen the punishment" it has doled out on corporations and the top 1 percent of income earners.

https://www.lifezette.com/polizette/...icant-tax-cut/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@! the 1%, what they ever do for me
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    $#@! the 1%, what they ever do for me
    If you got an Iphone / smartphone....you owe that to the 1%....if they did not want to earn a profit....you would have no smartphone today.

Quote Originally Posted by qh4dotcom View Post
    If you got an Iphone / smartphone....you owe that to the 1%....if they did not want to earn a profit....you would have no smartphone today.

I think most Texans use CB radios to communicate.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I think they use smoke signals, but Oyarde would know more about those than I do.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes but think about how many more iPhones I could have if we beat up the 1% collectively and took all their money
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Texans , what can you do .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Am I the only 1 percenter without a smart phone ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Am I the only 1 percenter without a smart phone ?
    Empty liquor bottles don't count towards your net worth
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Empty liquor bottles don't count towards your net worth
    I do not even count those . I calculate all of my wealth in Trees , Fruit Trees , crops , livestock , tillable land , homes ,tools , equipment ,lead , copper , guns , silver and gold . We do not count cash since it is backed by nothing and they could announce tomorrow it is devalued .

Seems there's very little agreement as to what this tax bill actually does. The opinions are all over the place.

Did You Catch the Huge Loophole in the GOP Tax Plan? The Rich Sure Did.
    http://fortune.com/2017/11/03/trump-...plan-loophole/
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

If it's this complicated, it's probably not going to be very good overall. But if they actually raise the standard deduction as high as they say and it can be filled out on a postcard, I'll be thrilled.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

It seems like this bill only cuts taxes for the rich. Anyone making $30k-$250k might see a small cut. Like savings of $500 a year. Some will see a small increase due to the deductions being removed. Only the people making 1%er income will see substantial cuts. For that reason, I'm out.

Also, didn't Rand pledge to not vote to increase the deficit? And this increases it by $1.5 Trillion? I'm not really a deficit hawk, but they need to at least make some token cuts to spending to try to offset this.

The top 1% will be still be paying less than most. Money they do pay taxes on will probably be taxed at the corporate rate (25%?).
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    It seems like this bill only cuts taxes for the rich. Anyone making $30k-$250k might see a small cut. Like savings of $500 a year. Some will see a small increase due to the deductions being removed. Only the people making 1%er income will see substantial cuts. For that reason, I'm out.
    What is wrong with massive tax cuts for the rich? Most people see their paychecks come from rich people.

I agree more cuts should be fought for, for everybody, but I wouldn't oppose any cut in taxes.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rich people wouldn't have to pay me as much wage if the government wasn't taking so much away. Rich people are the only ones that pay any taxes anyways, but that's because we monetize debt and that is a system that picks winners and losers its a system that causes only rich people to contribute because they have the money.

Essentially unless they cut government if they lower taxes it will result in a tax increase for the poor and lower middle class- an INFLATION tax increase. Something that distorts the economy even worse then taxes. You are essentially endorsing the monetization of debt and the theft of wealth from people who save their money to pay for your tax breaks.

If you want to argue for tax cuts, fine, argue for REAL tax cuts, argue for government cuts with the tax cuts so that the economy gets some life breathed into it. Don't get me wrong, vote for anything that reduces the amount of money that gets taken away from people, but if that same guy that voted to decrease taxes votes to increase military spending by 700B that guy is taxing you, he is not your friend.

^^^

That is extremely disturbing...

No future King of England (or of any other place) should permit some nouveau riche to poke him in the chest.

...on the other hand, what can one expect but prostitution from a dynasty which was called the throne by a parliament?

Let me tell you, Charles I would not have tolerated any such thing.

Any such poker would have rapidly found himself permanently lodged on London bridge, and several other places, simultaneously.

I don't know how Rand or anyone here can support tax cuts while spending continues to grow. This will cause a massive increase in future deficits.

Quote Originally Posted by cocrehamster View Post
    I don't know how Rand or anyone here can support tax cuts while spending continues to grow. This will cause a massive increase in future deficits.
    Tax cuts without government cuts is a myth. Rand supports anything that will reduce that amount of money government takes from people. The tax cut plan is Orwellian doublespeak at its finest, its not real tax cuts

Rand said he voted against the budget bill because it would add to the deficit but now is in full favor of the tax cut bill:

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...d-tax-cuts-now

Sen. Rand Paul: Let's pass big and bold tax cuts now!
    BY SEN. RAND PAUL (R-KY.), OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 10/26/17 08:00 AM EDT

I favor the biggest, boldest tax cut that Congress can pass. I’m 100 percent with President Trump in advocating for a 15 percent corporate rate to keep jobs in America.

I have been and will continue to be a loud voice for across-the-board tax cuts for everyone – rich, poor, and middle class. When the GOP leadership plan first came out, I raised a warning flag and urged the tax plan writers to slow down and make sure they got it right. Some simple calculations were telling us that some middle or upper-middle-class taxpayers could have been subject to a tax hike, if the tax plan eliminated big deductions for the middle class while keeping the 25 percent rate the same.
    Meanwhile: https://www.newsmax.com/Politics/ran.../17/id/820257/

Rand Paul Hits Senate Budget Over Deficit

Budget hawk Rand Paul threatened Tuesday to oppose the Senate spending plan if it increases the U.S. deficit, a move that could kill the deal in a Senate with a slim Republican majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Rand said he voted against the budget bill because it would add to the deficit but now is in full favor of the tax cut bill:

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...d-tax-cuts-now

Meanwhile: https://www.newsmax.com/Politics/ran.../17/id/820257/
    And I bet he wants budget cuts to pay for it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And I bet he wants budget cuts to pay for it.

Budget cuts should come before tax cuts- not afterwards. The "cuts" to pay for them never seem to materialize.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Budget cuts should come before tax cuts- not afterwards. The "cuts" to pay for them never seem to materialize.
    And what is to stop them from being done at the same time in the same bill?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And what is to stop them from being done at the same time in the same bill?
    The bill does not address any spending- only taxes. Sure it could be done in theory. In theory, we could have $trillion budget surpluses too and everybody earns $1000 an hour and everything costs a nickel.

The bill does not address any spending- only taxes. Sure it could be done in theory. In theory, we could have $trillion budget surpluses too and everybody earns $1000 an hour and everything costs a nickel.
    And Rand hasn't voted yet, the bill isn't done yet, he can still try to add spending cuts while supporting the idea of cutting taxes.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Rand is trying to hold conservatives accountable for things they can cut in a tax bill like the individual mandate. Any real tax reform would need budget reform.

Budget reform and tax reform are not the same and you couldn't possibly do it on the same bill because we have a managed economy, its not like a real tax cut would cut money from the public sector, a tax cut would cut from the private sector, because most of our spending is government intervention.

We could cut income taxes to zero for most Americans and it wouldn't cut one cent from government spending which is only one way the government intervenes with the economy. The goal is to have the least amount of government, or least amount of government intervention possible specifically.

Therefore not voting to cut intervention is not justifiable only because it doesn't reduce the amount of government intervention as much as you would like it to. Rand will cut government intervention anywhere he can.

And Rand hasn't voted yet, the bill isn't done yet, he can still try to add spending cuts while supporting the idea of cutting taxes.
    House version already passed and Senate has finished but not voted on theirs- it won't be a lot different (any differences will have to be reconciled and combined into one bill and passed by both houses). Nothing about cutting spending. The budget resolution they passed allows them to add up to $1.5 trillion to the debt. And they are struggling to keep the additional debt that low (which is why they have to say that some of the proposed tax cuts will expire- then they don't count towards the $1.5 trillion- such "temporary" cuts tend to be made permanent later on). Rand says he supports it.

Senate hopes to vote next week- while people are distracted by Christmas shopping.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-24-2017 at 08:43 PM.

House version already passed and Senate won't be a lot different (any differences will have to be reconciled and combined into one bill and passed by both houses). Nothing about cutting spending. The budget resolution they passed allows them to add up to $1.5 trillion to the debt. And they are struggling to keep the additional debt that low (which is why they have to say that some of the proposed tax cuts will expire- then they don't count towards the $1.5 trillion- such "temporary" cuts tend to be made permanent later on). Rand says he supports it.

Senate hopes to vote next week- while people are distracted by Christmas shopping.
    So it is like I said, Rand hasn't voted yet and there is still time to amend the bill in the Senate or in the reconciliation process.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast