Sen. Rand Paul announced on Thursday that he is endorsing U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie, who represents the Fourth District of Kentucky in Congress, for reelection.

Massie was first elected to Congress in 2012. He was serving his first term as Lewis County judge-executive at the time, when then incumbent Republican Geoff Davis announced he wouldn't seek re-election in 2012.

During a conference call Thursday, Paul said he believes Massie to be one of the strongest supports of the people in Congress.

"(Massie) is one of the strongest supporters in the house," he said. "He believes in the constitution and he has gone to heroic lengths to defend our civil liberties and rights to be free. I endorse him for reelection."

Massie said he was excited to have Paul's endorsement.

"I'm excited to have Rand's endorsement," he said. "It's been an honor to work in Congress since I first came here. It's been a completely different atmosphere with the new president."

During the call, Massie was asked about his reasoning behind not voting for the hurricane victims package that gave assistance to those affected over the last few months.

According to Massie, the reason he voted against the package was due to the lack of funding that would have paid for it.

"I stand by my decision," Massie said. "It would have taken $1 billion out of Kentucky. It would have taken that money from the children and the future generation of Kentucky, because that funding wasn't paid for."

Massie was also talked about a tax reform bill that was presented to the House of Representatives Thursday.

"Just two hours ago, they revealed the tax reform bill in the house," he said. "I'm very excited about this bill. I think there is a lot of misconception about my support, because I did vote against the budget, but I am very positive about this tax bill."

Massie said he supports the bill because it will make the United States more competitive for industries.

"It's a tax cut," he said. "That's the most consequential thing about the bill. It will reduce the corporate tax rate, which will make us more competitive and help our economy. It will also increase the take home pay for the constituents. Everyone will prosper from it."

http://www.maysville-online.com/news...da82e47f8.html