Thread: How Economic Prosperity Spared Witches

How Economic Prosperity Spared Witches

That’s not the case in some severalparts of the world:

In August, villagers lynched an alleged witch in one of the poorest parts of India.
    Earlier this year, Tanzanian widow Ruth Zacaria fell victim to a witch hunt. Her attackers alleged that she prevented their family from being able to afford a particular property by using witchcraft to kill their father, bringing them to financial ruin.
    One witness to a witch hunt in Tanzania in 2015 described the situation in harrowing detail: “They broke into the house and hacked my wife with machetes and knives. They burned the body of my wife and later set fire on my house.”

Beliefs undoubtedly play a role in motivating these killings, and some people imagine that witch hunts result solely from cultural, not economic, factors. But as University of California-Berkeley’s Edward Miguel noted in his a study on witch killing, “Poverty and violence often go hand in hand,” and economic desperation frequently leads to scapegoating and slaughter.

Village mobs and individual families strangle, burn alive, knife or beat to death thousands of alleged witches each year, mainly in impoverished parts of the world. The Thomson Reuters Foundation estimates that in 2017, the deaths at the hands of vigilantes have numbered about 80 a month in Tanzania. Most victims are women. And an Indian law firm says it is “only the most gruesome cases that are reported — most cases of witch hunting go unreported and unrecorded.”

Miguel’s study found that in the extreme poverty of rural Tanzania, after a poor harvest, women are frequently blamed and murdered for witchcraft. In years where unusual rainfall ruins crops and creates near-famine conditions, there are about twice as many witch killings as in other years. Poor families are the most likely to murder alleged witches.

During the early 17th century, when witch killings were common across Western Europe, Germany’s average income was nearly identical to Tanzania’s in 2010: just over $800 in 1990 international dollars per person.

The Salem witch trials

Famously, America had its own smaller scale witch panic at the end of the 17th century, when its average income was roughly $900 by the same measure.

It seems that even in America, poverty was partly to blame for the killings. The majority of the charges in Salem were leveled by economically desperate farmers against more prosperous merchant families, according to the authors of Salem Possessed: the Social Origins of Witchcraft.

Unsurprisingly, the Salem madness was preceded by a series of unusually cold winters causing crop failures. Cold weather and subsequent deteriorating economic conditions also correlated with more witch killings in Europe, just as crop-ruining rainfall levels often precede witch hunts in Tanzania.

Poverty and ignorance do not always lead to witch hunts, but they seem to make violence more likely. For one 14th century site excavated in South Dakota, an astonishing 60% of the population died in conflict. Many of the bodies show not only signs of violent death but also extensive nutritional deficiencies, suggesting starvation-level poverty preceded deadly violence.

One reason for violence’s decline that Harvard University’s Steven Pinker identifies is capitalist peace theory: When it’s easier to buy things than steal, people don’t steal. Hence trade and commerce between countries reduce the exploitative incentives of military conquest.

Of course, trade doesn’t guarantee peace. Europe enjoyed abundant trade before World War I. But in general, as people move from subsistence to exchange and from poverty to prosperity, they become less desperate and violent. As prosperity enables education to spread, belief in witchcraft fades. After a poor harvest, instead of witch hunts energy is poured into innovative ways to ensure better crop yields next year.

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...ampaign=buffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    #Christiansdidnothingwrong

Admittedly, I only skimmed it but I have a hard time believing the Salem Witch Trials were a complete fabrication.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I've always found it interesting when people try and condemn the American natives for practicing human sacrifice while Europeans were torturing people, stoning them, and burning them alive for God. The Catholic Inquisition killed hundreds of thousand in these ways (and in worse ones) in their auto-de-fes.

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    #Christiansdidnothingwrong
    Try reading the article.

Many Christians have done much wrong, so have many atheists.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Admittedly, I only skimmed it but I have a hard time believing the Salem Witch Trials were a complete fabrication.
    I'm not sure if it was ENTIRELY faked but there was a large element of hoax at a minimum.

The author makes a pretty good case that it was started as a hoax and may have been nothing more.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm not sure if it was ENTIRELY faked but there was a large element of hoax at a minimum.

The author makes a pretty good case that it was started as a hoax and may have been nothing more.
    I'd go as far as saying the trials were most likely sensationalized over the years but faked? Nah.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Try reading the article.

Many Christians have done much wrong, so have many atheists.
    I skimmed it, the assertions it made and the reasoning used were laughably bad. A motive was never even bothered to be addressed. Why go to such an extent to fake this event? It says nothing relevant. Only someone who is accustomed to being convinced without any evidence would accept such a bogus article. Oh wait, the people who would be reading that article already have a habit of being convinced without any evidence....

I skimmed it, the assertions it made and the reasoning used were laughably bad. A motive was never even bothered to be addressed. Why go to such an extent to fake this event? It says nothing relevant. Only someone who is accustomed to being convinced without any evidence would accept such a bogus article. Oh wait, the people who would be reading that article already have a habit of being convinced without any evidence....
    You obviously have poor reading skills, the motive was one power faction attacking another in the court of public opinion.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You obviously have poor reading skills, the motive was one power faction attacking another in the court of public opinion.
    You truly don't know what I meant by motive. All that does is add one more layer to the event - that the girls were coached to accuse the political enemies of one group... which wouldn't mean the trials were faked. The trials can't be fake and about warring factions at the same time. Either the event happened, more or less as described, or it was concocted in the 20th century. The idiot who wrote that article managed to tie in about a dozen other conspiracy theories in just a few thousand words. Have you ever done critical thought before or do you just regurgitate whatever already fits your world view?

You truly don't know what I meant by motive. All that does is add one more layer to the event - that the girls were coached to accuse the political enemies of one group... which wouldn't mean the trials were faked. The trials can't be fake and about warring factions at the same time. Either the event happened, more or less as described, or it was concocted in the 20th century. The idiot who wrote that article managed to tie in about a dozen other conspiracy theories in just a few thousand words. Have you ever done critical thought before or do you just regurgitate whatever already fits your world view?
    You just don't get it, one faction set themselves up to look like the other faction and then created a scandal that would reflect badly on the targeted faction, they controlled the accused and the accusers and ran a deliberately scandalous kangaroo court that would discredit their enemies.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You just don't get it, one faction set themselves up to look like the other faction and then created a scandal that would reflect badly on the targeted faction, they controlled the accused and the accusers and ran a deliberately scandalous kangaroo court that would discredit their enemies.
    Oh so all along it really was #Christiansdonothingwrong #nothingeverhappens #Crisisactors #Nooneeverdies

Oh so all along it really was #Christiansdonothingwrong #nothingeverhappens #Crisisactors #Nooneeverdies
    Sometimes nobody does die, sometimes people do, why is it so hard for you to see that both lies and truths get told throughout history?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sometimes nobody does die, sometimes people do, why is it so hard for you to see that both lies and truths get told throughout history?
    Because there's absolutely no reason to doubt the official story in this case, and the only person who would is just trying to engage in Puritan-apologetics and nothing else. Christians have a long history of executing "witches," so it's not like it's a surprise to see that the ultra conservative puritans did the same.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because there's absolutely no reason to doubt the official story in this case, and the only person who would is just trying to engage in Puritan-apologetics and nothing else. Christians have a long history of executing "witches," so it's not like it's a surprise to see that the ultra conservative puritans did the same.
    The article gives good reason to disbelieve the mainstream historical narrative.

For those who didn't take the link above here it is again:

The Salem Witch Trials were Faked.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment