Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump May Not Seek Re-election: Rand Paul

Trump May Not Seek Re-election: Rand Paul

Senator Rand Paul said on Sunday night that even though the president is raising millions for a 2020 campaign, Republicans should not assume he's running.

“There could well be a primary," the junior senator from Kentucky said on MSNBC, after being asked if a 2020 primary would be good for the Republican Party.

Paul had prefaced his remark by saying Republicans "need to know [if] President Trump [is] running for re-election. I think you won't know that until you get into sort of second, third year of his presidency."

Paul’s comment echoes what Trump insider and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie told the Today show's Matt Lauer on October 27: "If he runs again I would support him, yes, but I'm not so sure what will happen."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-may...140318114.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Paul will not do well in a 2020 Primary if that's what people are hoping for. The nation is far far too polarized and brainwashed by Trump (both for and against) for anyone with actual principles or ideas to make any headway in his wake. Republicans are now chiefly concerned with merely pissing off liberals and stomping on them every chance they get, regardless of the underlying principles or morality. Democrats meanwhile are going to see every Republican as a reprehensible MAGA-hat-wearing Trump disciple and ignore anything else, especially any theoretical idea requiring more than 2 neurons to comprehend.

Mark my words- 2020 is going to be worse than 2016 in terms of discourse. Trump and the ignorant, emotionally-driven overreaction to Obama which he led, with no foundation in theory or principles, is what did this. America will need 4 years after him to reset before it even starts thinking again.

Yeah I think Rand should just stick to the Senate, or go back to his medical practice if he wants to.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

I would like to see Paul run again. A bit of sanity in politics would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

The neocons have Pence in place and guaranteed as the next GOP pick. He will be their greatest victory yet.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray N Rothbard View Post
    Mark my words- 2020 is going to be worse than 2016 in terms of discourse. Trump and the ignorant, emotionally-driven overreaction to Obama which he led, with no foundation in theory or principles, is what did this. America will need 4 years after him to reset before it even starts thinking again.
    I'm pretty sure the left-right paradigm and the tactics of divide and conquer used by the media have existed long before Trump. Sure, his actions may have escalated it, but the media painted him out to be Satan and still continue to. This leads to dividing a lot of people into two opposing groups. Do you agree with media and treat Trump like Satan or do you disagree with him and "defend" him as if you're defending yourself because in defending him, you're defending your ideology opposing the media in a sense.

I dont disagree with you that people are only becoming more ignorant and violent, but this all can't be blamed on Trump.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Paul will not do well in a 2020 Primary if that's what people are hoping for. The nation is far far too polarized and brainwashed by Trump (both for and against) for anyone with actual principles or ideas to make any headway in his wake. Republicans are now chiefly concerned with merely pissing off liberals and stomping on them every chance they get, regardless of the underlying principles or morality. Democrats meanwhile are going to see every Republican as a reprehensible MAGA-hat-wearing Trump disciple and ignore anything else, especially any theoretical idea requiring more than 2 neurons to comprehend.

Lucid.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    or go back to his medical practice if he wants to.
    I dearly hope it doesn't come to this.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    I dearly hope it doesn't come to this.
    I wouldn't blame him to be honest. I swear he must feel like this every time he tries talking to Congress and the media:

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

I'm not so sure. Liberals wouldn't vote for a Republican regardless, and there are far fewer "Maga" folk than the media portrays. What we will hopefully see is the dem's freak-show coalition going against a reasonable gop candidate who resonates with the unclaimed middle class.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Far too early to see how anything is gonna shake out.

Rand is fortunate that Trump hasn't endorsed him as his replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Rand is fortunate that Trump hasn't endorsed him as his replacement.
    What planet did you just come back from?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Rand was doing well until Trump jumped in and the avalanche of media coverage followed him. He got buried along with all the other republican candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What planet did you just come back from?
    How is US Senate GOP candidate Luther Strange polling in your galaxy, after his YUUGE victory over Roy Moore in the primary?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    How is US Senate GOP candidate Luther Strange polling in your galaxy, after his YUUGE victory over Roy Moore in the primary?
    Who cares?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Fake news didn't get the soundbyte they wanted so they took Rand out of context. They keep trying to get Rand to criticize the president so they can claim he is against Trumps agenda to cut tax or repeal Obamacare. They just wanted to be able to blame Rand Paul for Washington's failed policies and pit Trump supporters against him

Let’s hope not I think once was enough for everybody. I’m kinda seeing 20-20 for 2020, is there a doctor in the house?

Here's hoping for a Trump/Paul ticket in 2020
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

If Trump doesnt run in 2020, it'll be because he accomplished what he set out to do (MAGA)
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The neocons have Pence in place and guaranteed as the next GOP pick. He will be their greatest victory yet.
    It is a lock as far as i know .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    It is a lock as far as i know .
    Did you consult the Magic 8 ball?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Did you consult the Magic 8 ball?
    3 times

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mello View Post
    Rand was doing well until Trump jumped in and the avalanche of media coverage followed him. He got buried along with all the other republican candidates.
    OH PLEASE. Rand killed his own chances. He did it all by himself. If he had wanted to kill his campaign, he couldn't have done a better job of it. Now, THAT is the truth. Deal with it.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    OH PLEASE. Rand killed his own chances. He did it all by himself. If he had wanted to kill his campaign, he couldn't have done a better job of it. Now, THAT is the truth. Deal with it.
    That is NOT the truth.

Trump-lovers & the media took Rand down.

Deal with it.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    That is NOT the truth.

Trump-lovers & the media took Rand down.

Deal with it.
    Nope.

It was indeed sad to watch. It started with Rand supporting McConnell against being called a liar on the Senate floor. It made him look like establishment, in a political climate where establishment was not the thing to be.

You have a convenient memory, Ender.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Nope.

It was indeed sad to watch. It started with Rand supporting McConnell against being called a liar on the Senate floor. It made him look like establishment, in a political climate where establishment was not the thing to be.

You have a convenient memory, Ender.
    Sadly I must agree. If Rand had ran on a firebrand don't-give-a-$#@! all out Lion for Liberty campaign, he would have done much better... but he played politics with McConnell and the RINOs and people saw right through it.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by mello View Post
    Yes. Not only that, but I still haven't seen any solid evidence that trump wasn't a Hillary plant. The Podesta Manafort collusion says it all.

Of course, on script you get a bunch of people saying Rand was too compromising and not alpha enough. The McConnell alliance wasn't a factor. The voting populace doesn't even know who McConnell is.

But I will accuse Rand of stupidly trying to beat trump at his own game, trying to be brash and insulting and failing miserably during the debates. It's not in Rand's nature to be confrontational. He's a man of ideas. The high road would have suited him better. Without trump and the meticulously orchestrated anti-ISIS outrage, 2016 could have been a campaign of policy discussion that would have educated the populace (those who didn't fall asleep) like never before in history.

The public will eventually develop clown fatigue and throw their support behind a (relatively) sober, policy-driven candidate.

That's not necessarily Rand, of course, but it's a better environment for him than the current circus.

It's the sort of environment that he was anticipating in 2016, and for which his campaign was well designed.

When? You say 2024/28. I'm a little more optimistic. 2020 is realistic if Trump continues to make an ass of himself while failing to deliver anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast