Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Manafort, Who Once Ran Trump Campaign, Indicted on Money Laundering and Tax Charges

Paul Manafort, Who Once Ran Trump Campaign, Indicted on Money Laundering and Tax Charges

Paul Manafort, Who Once Ran Trump Campaign, Indicted on Money Laundering and Tax Charges

WASHINGTON — Paul Manafort and his former business associate were indicted on Monday on money laundering, tax and foreign lobbying charges, a significant escalation in a special counsel investigation that has cast a shadow over President Trump’s first year in office.

Mr. Manafort, the president’s former campaign chairman, and his longtime associate Rick Gates, surrendered to the FBI on Monday. The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, said Mr. Manafort laundered more than $18 million to buy properties and services.

“Manafort used his hidden overseas wealth to enjoy a lavish lifestyle in the United States without paying taxes on that income,” the indictment reads.

Mr. Gates is accused of transferring more than $3 million from offshore accounts. The two are also charged with making false statements.

“As part of the scheme, Manafort and Gates repeatedly provided false information to financial bookkeepers, tax accountants and legal counsel, among others,” the indictment read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/u...-indicted.html

If you go to Twitter you can see all the pages of the indictment.

Last edited by Suzanimal; 10-30-2017 at 08:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well , if I had millions stashed in a foreign country I would not be surrendering to the FBI for tax evasion .

LIVE UPDATES: Latest developments in Mueller investigation

10:20 am – There is more happening today in the Russia investigation. A former Trump foreign policy aide, George Papadopoulos has plead guilty to making false statements to the feds in the Russia investigation.

http://jamiedupree.blog.palmbeachpos...7/10/30/24216/
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Well , if I had millions stashed in a foreign country I would not be surrendering to the FBI for tax evasion .
    Danke would be flying me somewhere warm.

Their crime was keeping their money.

Another victory for freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Their crime was keeping their money.

Another victory for freedom.
    I was hoping to see Hillary on the perp walk this morning.

pcgame

If Trump wanted to, could he pardon them? Also, just because he does not pardon them now, could he pardon them at the end of his term?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Lol. Yeah, that's not gonna happen. They know too much.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not yet. She is still circling the drain.

Yes, Bill has suffered long enough. He's learned to appreciate the cheaper hos in his twilight years. All of em got the claps, rich or poor, black or white, teeth or dentures, but down home lovin is still better than Hildabeast and big city blues.

Quote Originally Posted by pcgame View Post
    If Trump wanted to, could he pardon them? Also, just because he does not pardon them now, could he pardon them at the end of his term?
    I'm not completely sure. This is according to Newsweek...

The Constitution allows the president broad powers to pardon people for “Offenses against the United States." There is no precedent for a sitting president pardoning people tied to his campaign, as will likely be the case for Mueller’s debut indictment.

The Constitution contains no language barring such a pardon, but with the Trump administration, it probably wouldn’t pass without a fight.

For example, the only limit in the Constitution is that presidents can’t issue pardons for offenses relating to their impeachment. If Mueller issues charges that could be tied to a potentially impeachment offense for Trump, Congress could swiftly enact impeachment proceeding — thus stripping Trump of his powers.

Such an unprecedented pardon would also lead to inevitable legal battles, which could reach the Supreme Court, giving the justices final say on whether Trump’s pardons can stand.

Beyond this, presidents only have the power to pardon federal offenses — but state offenses are out of their jurisdiction.

Trump has no power to quash state charges, which can only be pardoned by state officials. So if a state attorney general takes up any of the federal charges from Mueller — for instance, charges related to Trump business practices in New York — Trump’s troubles would continue.

Reports have circulated for months that Trump has been wondering about the reach of his pardoning powers, and even asked about the possibility of a self-pardon, which is also not barred by the Constitution.

Trump has also been publicly boasting about his abilities to pardon. He wrote in a July tweet that “ all agree the U.S. President has the complete power to pardon,” showing a mistaken understanding of how far his powers can go.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-pardon...ictment-695780

Trump's tweet raises new question marks:

Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Trump's tweet raises new question marks:
    Trump creating outrage before turning things around - Manafort is connected to Podesta

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Trump creating outrage before turning things around - Manafort is connected to Podesta
    A thus-far-reliable source who used to be involved with Clinton allies John and Tony Podesta told Tucker Carlson that press reports appearing to implicate President Trump in Russian collusion are exaggerated.

The source, who Carlson said he would not yet name, said he worked for the brothers' Podesta Group and was privy to some information from Robert Mueller's special investigation.

While media reports describe former "Black, Manafort & Stone" principal Paul Manafort as Trump's main tie to the investigation, the source said it is Manafort's role as a liaison between Russia and the Podesta Group that is drawing the scrutiny.
    The "vehicle" Manafort worked for was what Carlson called a "sham" company with a headquarters listed in Belgium but whose contact information was linked to Kiev, the Ukrainian capital.

Manafort was, at the time, representing Russian business and political interests during the Obama era.

The source said the Podesta Group was in regular contact with Manafort while Hillary Clinton was America's chief diplomat.

In 2013, the group hired away one of Clinton's deputies, David Adams, effectively establishing contact between the Washington firm and Clinton's office in Foggy Bottom, D.C.
    http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/10/2...r-russia-probe

Papadopoulos lied to FBI agents “about the timing, extent and nature of his relationships and interactions with certain foreign nationals whom he understood to have close connections with senior Russian government officials,” according to the criminal complaint unsealed on Monday.

The Washington Post reported in August that Papadopoulos had offered to set up meetings between Russian officials and top Trump campaign officials.

Link to the indictment

https://www.scribd.com/document/3630...ent#from_embed

Wait a minute... George Papadopoulos?!!

???
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Wait a minute... George Papadopoulos?!!

???
    Poor Webster.

False statements, wow. Who could have predicted that.

Good. Now when are all of the other indictments coming down for everyone else guilty of the same thing? And how is someone like Mueller who is implicated in crimes still acting as a special prosecutor?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The plot thickens....

Brother of Clinton campaign chair steps down from lobbying firm amid reports of scrutiny from special counsel

Tony Podesta, the brother of Hillary Clinton's former campaign chairman, John Podesta, has resigned from his lobbying firm amid reports he is under scrutiny from Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...l-counsel.html

this might be just a little something to provide cover for indicting Hillary next. To prevent the "witch hunt" accusations.

If they nab a couple on the Trump side, they can avoid appearing to be partisan about it.

just a theory.

But then again, Mueller seems to be an enemy of the Trumpmeister, so who knows.
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 10-30-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    this might be just a little something to provide cover for indicting Hillary next. To prevent the "witch hunt" accusations.

If they nab a couple on the Trump side, they can avoid appearing to be partisan about it.

just a theory.

But then again, Mueller seems to be an enemy of the Trumpmeister, so who know.

It would be poetic if they arrested her tomorrow. It is her day, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    False statements, wow. Who could have predicted that.
    Clinton was only guilty of lying to Congress in his impeachment.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Clinton used a private server.

The cockroaches are scurrying...

Tony Podesta stepping down from lobbying giant amid Mueller probe

Democratic power lobbyist Tony Podesta, founder of the Podesta Group, is stepping down from the firm that bears his name after coming under investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller.

Podesta announced his decision during a firm-wide meeting Monday morning and is alerting clients of his impending departure.

Podesta Group did not respond to a request for comment for this story.

Podesta’s decision to leave the firm came on the same day that former Donald Trump campaign aides Paul Manafort and Rick Gates were indicted on multiple charges, including money laundering, operating as federal agents of the Ukrainian government, failing to disclose overseas bank accounts and making false statements to federal authorities. Trump campaign foreign policy advisor George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty earlier this month for lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russian officials, according to court records.

The investigation into Podesta and his firm grew out of investigators’ examination of Manafort’s finances. Manafort organized a PR campaign on behalf of a nonprofit called the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine. Podesta Group was one of several firms that were paid to do work on the PR campaign to promote Ukraine in the U.S.

Podesta Group filed paperwork with the Justice Department in April stating that it had done work for the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine that also benefited the same Ukrainian political party that Manafort once advised. Podesta Group said at the time it believed its client was a European think tank untethered to a political party.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...r-probe-244314

The cockroaches are scurrying...
    Podesta Group filed paperwork with the Justice Department in April stating that it had done work for the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine that also benefited the same Ukrainian political party that Manafort once advised.
    whoa.... interesting.

Sounds like Podesta and Manafort were playing in the same sandbox.

Manafort going to make a deal for turning state's evidence?
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.

How much you want to bet the headlines will mention Trump more than Manafort.

Damn, first article I found:

Trump campaign adviser admitted to lying about Russian contacts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.708e7b68ecfc

Live feed of Manafort hearing thingy:

1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast