Thread: You Can't Do This Anymore on Honolulu Streets

You Can't Do This Anymore on Honolulu Streets

(NEWSER) – Visiting Honolulu? Better get out of the habit of texting while walking, or at least while walking across a street. In a new law that took effect Wednesday, the Hawaiian city has banned looking at your phone (or any mobile electronic device) while crossing a street or highway. Anyone who does so in Honolulu or the surrounding county can be fined up to $35 for the first offense, the New York Times reports. Subsequent offenses will cost up to $75, and then up to $99. The exceptions: If you're communicating with 911 at the time, or if you're an emergency responder performing your official duties, TechCrunch reports. (Pedestrians can also still talk on phones or listen to music while crossing streets.) KHON notes the fines aren't just tickets to pay; offenders must appear in court.

Honolulu is the first major US city to pass such a law, NPR reports. Similar legislation has been considered, but not passed, in multiple states and is pending in two states. Municipal laws aren't officially tracked, but Rexburg, Idaho, banned the practice in 2011 after five pedestrian deaths were recorded in a short period of time in the small town. There have been no more pedestrian deaths since. Honolulu officials cite safety as the reason for their city's ban; experts say people who text while walking are almost four times as likely to engage in a dangerous behavior like jaywalking or not looking both ways before crossing a street, and they also take 18% more time to cross streets than those who aren't distracted by a device.
    http://www.newser.com/story/250628/h...ng-street.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Texting in Honolulu? When I'm there, I'm too busy ogling.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    When I'm there, I'm too busy ogling.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    is this AF's sockpuppet account?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

is this AF's sockpuppet account?
    If he catches the blame for all of my work, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    If he catches the blame for all of my work, then yes.

Just for you:

Caitlyn Jenner shares first-ever swimsuit video: 'Walking on the beach being my authentic self

https://www.yahoo.com/news/caitlyn-j...193849142.html
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I have never texted while jaywalking .

I was in Honolulu last month for a week. I was amazed at the number of homeless people. They are everywhere, it’s so bad that I changed our accommodations out to a spot in the county.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From the comments, boobus love this new law. Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    From the comments, boobus love this new law. Sigh
    I prefer to think of it as natural selection and let it run it's course.

Just for you:

Caitlyn Jenner shares first-ever swimsuit video: 'Walking on the beach being my authentic self

https://www.yahoo.com/news/caitlyn-j...193849142.html

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I was in Honolulu last month for a week. I was amazed at the number of homeless people. They are everywhere, it’s so bad that I changed our accommodations out to a spot in the county.
    High cost of living and warm temps increases mentally ill pop . You should vacation along the Canadian / Minnesota border where they would be eaten by wolves .

Many lives will be saved.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his