Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberal Opens ‘Livable Wage’ Pizzeria, Staff Stunned By What They Receive 2 Years Later

Liberal Opens ‘Livable Wage’ Pizzeria, Staff Stunned By What They Receive 2 Years Later

Liberal Opens ‘Livable Wage’ Pizzeria, Staff Stunned By What They Receive 2 Years Later

October 25, 2017 Robert Rich

A Boston pizzeria made headlines after it’s liberal owner announced that he would be offering his employees a “livable wage.” However, things have taken an odd turn in the leftist utopia as staff members were left stunned by what they most recently received – just two years after they were hired.

There’s no arguing that everyone would like to make more money. However, the hardest part comes when you try to make that a reality and realize it actually takes some effort on your part. In the end, it either comes down to working hard and climbing your way up the ladder to a position that you’re happy with.

Unfortunately, some think you can just luck out and have someone pay you more than you’re worth and more than they can afford. Thanks to one pizzeria, we’re seeing exactly how that really works out.

The employees at Dudley Dough in Boston, Massachusetts, were lucky enough to be one of the very few to find themselves getting paid more than they should for the job they were hired to do because the “livable wage” pizza joint was run by a liberal who thought they could show the world just how great this model of pay could be.

The shop was opened by a nonprofit organization known as Haley House, run by executive director Bing Broderick, and it started out with simple soup kitchens across the city. However, they’ve most recently ventured into the depths of leftist deception, seeking to prove that companies can, in fact, pay people more than they do.

Of course, in order to do that, they branded the pizzeria as a “non-profit,” meaning that company wouldn’t be able to make a profit, which defeats the purpose of going into business for most people, but I digress. They even shunned the “fight for $15” crowd by offering employees $12.50 an hour to prove their point about a “living wage.” Although it’s not the $15 liberals have demanded, it’s far above market average and minimum wage, so they considered it an improvement and an adequate wage.

Unfortunately for employees who were lucky enough to land a job, getting paid more than they were worth, they were all left stunned by what they were handed most recently. After opening just two years ago, Dudley Dough has handed all their employees their metaphorical pink slips, saying that the store is closing down and that everyone inside would be laid off, IJ Review reports.

So, why exactly are they doing this? Well, according to The Boston Globe, “While popular, the shop is not breaking even financially, which has put stress on the wider nonprofit organization.” Yes, you read that right, the liberal experiment has flat out failed — and it had nothing to do with the product, as even The Globe admits, the pizzeria was popular, but it still couldn’t stay afloat with the “living wage” being paid — and, mind you, that’s with not even expecting to turn a profit.

Sadly, it seems that the leftists in charge can’t even see the situation for what it is as they’re denying that this is the case. “I don’t think anyone is looking at it as a failure,” said Luther Pinckney, a team leader at Dudley Dough, which is in the Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building. “It’s an experiment, and some very good things came out of that, such as skill-building for staff and being in this building at this time of gentrification and change in this community.”

Um, no. This was a failure. Not only did they promise the public that this could work and tricked people into thinking that it would, but they made people dependent on an unsustainable business model. Now, these people who worked for them are out of a job and won’t be able to find work at that income level because everyone else in the city has the common sense to know that it’s too much to pay for this particular skill set.

That’s the problem with the left. They always think they’re helping, but when they break everything – just as conservatives said they would – they just shrug their shoulders and keep walking. Meanwhile, families are suffering and people who have now become accustomed to a higher wage will have to settle for what their job skills are really worth.

Who knows how many people this hurt, but the fact of the matter here is that it was perfectly avoidable. The left wants to say that everyone deserves $15/hour, but it’s just not reasonable. In fact, they’ll find that out the hard way if they keep pushing because business will either be forced to go automated or close down completely. Then, who will they complain to when they don’t have any money coming in?

Long story short, if a non-profit couldn’t afford to pay their employees more, then there is no way this so-called business model could work and turn a profit. In a capitalist society, that has disaster written all over it. No one wants the headache of starting and running a business without the end goal of a profit. That’s not cruel. That’s honesty. It’s time the left start thinking with their brains because, at this point, their model of basing decisions solely on feelings isn’t working.

If it’s too good to be true, then it probably is. If you want something, then you’re going to have to get out there and work for it like the rest of us. Let the entry-level jobs for the kiddos and quit trying to make a career out of them. Sadly, those who were tricked into thinking that something was better than it was are now reaping the results – and it’s not good.
    http://madworldnews.com/liberal-liva...zen.yandex.com
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"Dudley Dough, Pizza With Purpose"

lol

I can imagine the excuses-

Not enough government control over ingredient prices, rent, customers, pie slinging equipment, etc.

Oh, and that...

WWWWWWWW
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 10-26-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

https://boston.eater.com/2017/10/26/...-dough-closing

In a public statement, Haley House executive director Bing Broderick wrote:

While much good has come from Dudley Dough, sales have not met expectations. Our very compelling and aspirational vision for a fair-wage pizza shop was vital and appreciated, but after two years of operation, it is still far from breakeven, which is necessary for its success (to be able to elevate staff wages further, which is a central tenet of the mission). Our board determined that Haley House could not continue to subsidize it — to remain open would involve jeopardizing Haley House for the future. Last month, based on close business analysis of operations and trends, our board made the very difficult decision to close Dudley Dough by the end of the year.

Zippy, the master of bringing irrelevant angles into discussion. Unfortunately nobody falls for this $#@! anymore.

Friggin' customers.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

I remember when these weren't jobs that you lived on. These were jobs that helped put you through college, buy your first used car, fund the beer for the parties you went to before you started getting serious about life, etc.

If you are planning a career at McDonalds flipping burgers for the rest of your life to raise your family, a living wage isn't the problem. The problem is that you're an idiot.

My first job was rotating tires. I didn't concern myself that I was only getting $7.25/hr. I was too focused on how to use that job to get to a better one.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 10-26-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Clearly they needed to cut their pizza into more slices. Sometimes people forget their basic principles when they're trying to sell something. Damned markets.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    People should be FORCED to buy Pizzas.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I remember when these weren't jobs that you lived on. These were jobs that helped put you through college, buy your first used car, fund the beer for the parties you went to before you started getting serious about life, etc.

If you are planning a career at McDonalds flipping burgers for the rest of your life to raise your family, a living wage isn't the problem. The problem is that you're an idiot.

My first job was rotating tires. I didn't concern myself that I was only getting $7.25/hr. I was too focused on how to use that job to get to a better one.
    I tipped muh tire guy ten bucks today . I was in last week getting a new truck tire plugged for a nail hole . this morning I took him a tractor tire to put on a rim. He said no charge . So I gave him two fives . He is busy all the time . He has something people need though , not expensive pizza in an expensive state run by liberals .

They forgot two essential revenue sources for their kind of business - government subsidies and bailouts. And where are all the charitable donors to support the noble experiment?

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    They forgot two essential revenue sources for their kind of business - government subsidies and bailouts. And where are all the charitable donors to support the noble experiment?
    From my understanding, they were part of a greater non-profit organization which put the brakes on the business because it was losing too much money. It's bad when even people who know you aren't supposed to make money think you're doing a sh1tty job.

A pizzeria in California tried the same thing, but they were for profit. They ended up raising the average price of a whole pizza to $30. It's not surprising that they lost a quarter of their sales.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/...-massive-fail/
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

One look at their menu and I can see why they were not profitable....

Along with our margherita, we bring you a different
    pizza every day. (Pricing varies.) We’ll be whipping
    up something special with seasonal vegetables and
    locally sourced ingredients whenever possible;

Shrimp & Corn with Puttanesca
    Roasted shrimp and freshly shucked corn atop our
    zesty anchovy-tomato sauce

Mashed Potato & Meatloaf with
    Corn, Capers, & Béchamel
    Classic comfort with our homemade turkey & beef
    meatloaf served with all the fixins’, including a
    garlicky cream sauce

Curried Vegetable with Lentils
    Jamaican stew with seasonal vegetables and
    earthy lentils
    http://haleyhouse.org/files/DudleyDoughMenu.pdf

I kinda like my pizza to be...pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post

Years ago sure but I would not be so quick to blame the poor and young folks. The problem is because of national monopolies and consolidation is eliminating small business owner competition, while we import migrants to take jobs from Americans and globalism shifting manufacturing - jobs overseas, many have no where to go to make that transition.

It is only going to get worse across all age groups and classes with AI automation.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Years ago sure but I would not be so quick to blame the poor and young folks. The problem is because of national monopolies and consolidation is eliminating small business owner competition, while we import migrants to take jobs from Americans and globalism shifting manufacturing - jobs overseas, many have no where to go to make that transition.

It is only going to get worse across all age groups and classes with AI automation.
    I feel the effects of this all too well. I have as many certifications that can be acquired without having a requirement of years of work experience to get an application for further advancement of that career pathway. However, nearly everyone wants people who have these advanced certifications that require 2-4 + years of work experience to acquire. Fewer companies means aside from those already strongly established (who generally selectively picked overqualified candidates for the positions) my options are fairly limited in finding those willing to hire entry level candidates to gain that experience. A frustrating situation indeed.
    Last edited by ds21089; 10-26-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

we import migrants to take jobs from Americans
    We import stuff that can't be bought locally or costs too much to do locally. This has a lot of causes but the biggest cause is the MIC. The MIC inflates the currency and drives wages up by driving up the cost of living, the MIC inflates tuition prices and makes our education system favor quantity over quality. The MIC is currently being controlled by the MIC, the executive branch and the legislative branch aren't doing their job.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

While much good has come from Dudley Dough, sales have not met expectations.
    https://boston.eater.com/2017/10/26/...-dough-closing

Maybe "sales have not met expectations" because they were too busy giving away their product. From your article:

"Every weekday but Friday, the pizzeria provides students involved in the program with free pizza."

I look at all the available evidence, and might conclude these people do not have good business sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Maybe "sales have not met expectations" because they were too busy giving away their product. From your article:

"Every weekday but Friday, the pizzeria provides students involved in the program with free pizza."

I look at all the available evidence, and might conclude these people do not have good business sense.
    Its not like pizza is a competitive market or anything with razor sharp margins.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post

I look at the picture of what they consider a "pizza slice" and have no doubt that don't know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ds21089 View Post
    I feel the effects of this all too well. I have as many certifications that can be acquired without having a requirement of years of work experience to get an application for further advancement of that career pathway. However, nearly everyone wants people who have these advanced certifications that require 2-4 + years of work experience to acquire. Fewer companies means aside from those already strongly established (who generally selectively picked overqualified candidates for the positions) my options are fairly limited in finding those willing to hire entry level candidates to gain that experience. A frustrating situation indeed.
    Yet what we hear from politicians and their media mouth pieces is blaming people (like you) for not having the training and certifications. They then propose government funding for training for certifications with the taxpayers picking up the tab. They completely ignore there are a wealth of already qualified people.

The other side of this is if these same taxpayers go to apply for training it is not available to them if they are not a member of a protected group.

When they finally get to the long term unemployed, these politicians and their media friends will call them lazy or say Americans feel they are to good to do these jobs. So they then make the case for importing more immigrants for low and high tech Visa's.

This was in 2005. It wasn't all that long ago. The victim mentality has gone on meth over the past decade. Being poor is not supposed to be comfortable. It's supposed to motivate you out of poverty.

But, I do wonder what the future holds for automation. One proposal a lot of people are pushing is a universal basic income just for being alive, at which point money will no longer be a measure of compensation for time and labor, and will become utterly meaningless. If you're gonna give everyone $500/month, why not give them $5,000? Or $50,000? Just like the arguments over the minimum wage, if you're gonna set an arbitrary rate, why even have a limit?
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 10-26-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

Ewwwwww

Am I the only one surprised it took two years?

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Am I the only one surprised it took two years?
    Some football owner donated $100k.

Last year, Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, donated $100,000 to Haley House, specifically for Dudley Dough.
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...XDI/story.html
    Last edited by phill4paul; 10-26-2017 at 04:34 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    And I reckon a pizza from there cost $30 bucks, to pay those wages.

And what a surprise, no pizzas got sold.

Some football player donated $100k.
    Ah.

No kidding...and that menu read like a corporate handout for the mandatory "diversity and sensitivity training" meeting.

I've about had enough of the pretentious foodie pizza craze as well.

Pepperoni, cheese and bacon on a dough crust with tomato sauce, OK?

Like going into a BlargBucks and ordering a plain black coffee.

^^^^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^^^
    1/4 Pizza for $3.50, $12.50 for a whole pie is about the same or cheaper than where I live. I am the NY burbs, they are in Roxbury, MA which is more pricey than where I live.

Maybe their Pizza sucked which is why they did not have the traffic. Combine that with high rent of Roxbury and being able to pay employees, then no wonder.

So , breakfast yogurt & grits , coffee , 11 bucks , WTF ? . I can get steak , eggs , hashbrowns w/ onion , mushrooms and gravy , coffee at the waffle house for that . Serious losers at the Dudley Do Right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast