Thread: Math Skills=White Privilege

Math Skills=White Privilege

Link

A math education professor at the University of Illinois says the ability to solve geometry and algebra problems and teaching such subjects perpetuates so-called white privilege.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It looks like that make-up is covering up some age. I'm guessing the number of white guys who used to hit on her has probably dwindled. Plenty of younger Latinas on college campuses these days.

[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

All talents are privilege.

Perspective parents should be mandated to take a competency test prior to copulating.

Privilege knows no color.

Competence breeds competence.

What I wonder is how the professor thinks people are supposed to get any kind of decent job without excellent math skills? Teens selling fast food can't even count change already.
    #NashvilleStrong

Math is easy , larger share for me , smaller share for Danke .

Yeah, so is writing and speaking correct English.

College writing center: Proper grammar perpetuates ‘racist,’ ‘unjust language structure’

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-perpetuates-/

By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The University of Washington, Tacoma’s Writing Center now instructs students that expecting proper grammar from others perpetuates racism and “unjust language structures.”

A cadre of staffers at University of Washington, Tacoma recently crafted an instructional poster for “Huskies” on “anti-racist and social justice work.” The project was spearheaded by Dr. Asao Inoue, the center’s director.

“Racism is the normal condition of things. Racism is pervasive,” the poster reads, the Daily Caller reported Monday. “It is in the systems, structures, rules, languages, expectations, and guidelines that make up our classes, school, and society. For example, linguistic and writing research has shown clearly for many decades that there is no inherent ‘standard’ of English. Language is constantly changing. These two facts make it very difficult to justify placing people in hierarchies or restricting opportunities and privileges because of the way people communicate in particular versions of English.”

The center’s guidelines then lists numerous “commitments” that will be honored on the students’ behalf. Some include:

“Emphasize the importance of rhetorical situations over grammatical ‘correctness’ in the production of texts.”

“Be more aware of grammar as a rhetorical set of choices with various consequences.”

“Discuss racism and social justice issues openly in productive ways.”

Jill Purdy, Tacoma’s vice chancellor of undergraduate affairs, said on the school’s website that Dr. Inoue’s work demonstrates “a great example of how we are striving to act against racism.”

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    What I wonder is how the professor thinks people are supposed to get any kind of decent job without excellent math skills? Teens selling fast food can't even count change already.
    What she wrote does not suggest not teaching math or even that non-whites are incapable of doing math. It was just more sociological complaining.
    eg:
    “School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean Theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans," she says, according to Campus Reform.
    she's just upset that Europeans get credit for inventing these things we teach. it doesn't sound like she doesnt' want them taught, she just wants them renamed to something non-white.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as white,” she writes.
    funny, I thought it was Asians that get credited as being the math superstars nowadays.

Further, she says mathematics operates with unearned privilege in society, “just like whiteness
    she is a bit nuts.

“As researchers, are we more deserving of large grants because we focus on mathematics education and not social studies or English?”
    and of course, in the end, its all about the moolah.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    What she wrote does not suggest not teaching math or even that non-whites are incapable of doing math. It was just more sociological complaining.
    eg:

she's just upset that Europeans get credit for inventing these things we teach. it doesn't sound like she doesnt' want them taught, she just wants them renamed to something non-white.

funny, I thought it was Asians that get credited as being the math superstars nowadays.

she is a bit nuts.

and of course, in the end, its all about the moolah.
    Always about the "free" money if it is coming from a tax tick school .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Egypt never had any kind of advanced math or geometry. *roll* The pyramids just grew right up out the sand.

Education should not be a government funded anything. People should teach because people need to learn.
    #NashvilleStrong

A math education professor at the University of Illinois says the ability to solve geometry and algebra problems and teaching such subjects perpetuates so-called white privilege.
    well, dat jus' dun add up.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows