Thread: Cold War Returned: B-52s Back On 'Ready Alert'

Default Cold War Returned: B-52s Back On 'Ready Alert'

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...n-ready-alert/

written by daniel mcadams monday october 23, 2017

The US fleet of B-52 bombers is more than 60 years old. It's been 26 years -- since the end of the Soviet Union -- that these bombers have been ready to take off and drop nuclear weapons at a moment's notice. Over the weekend, US Air Force chief of staff, Gen. David Goldfein, announced that the US would be going back to the future -- restoring this long-dead feature of the Cold War. Is this just a case of weapons in search of a war? Are we really back to the 1950s? Tune in to today's Liberty Report:

Copyright © 2017 by RonPaul Institute. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a live link are given.
    Please donate to the Ron Paul Institute

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...n-ready-alert/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'm feeling safer already.
    "Even an establishment Republican like Jerry Moran is far more libertarian you are." Traditional Conservative

"You're a far more horrible person than she (Bristol Palin) will ever be." angelatc

I love the smell of freedom in the morning.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Air Force Denies That US Nuclear Bombers Are Being Put Back On 24-Hour Alert

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-23/air-force-denies-us-nuclear-bombers-are-being-put-back-24-hour-alert
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Whew!

Them $#@!in' Chinks were gettin' too big for their britches...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Whew!

Them $#@!in' Chinks were gettin' too big for their britches...
    Unfortunately, technologically-enabled auto-predatory species makes such possibilities sufficiently likely to give everyone pause.

That said, these fools are capable of anything. I will not be surprised to one day find us all glowing in the dark.

Insane maniacs running a world full of willfully ignorant, wanton cowards. Someone remind me how this is supposed to work out well?
    Last edited by osan; 10-24-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

Be a warrior abhorrent of war, willing to wage it in the face of trespass.

From Justin Raimondo:

both the US and the Russians possess enough nuclear firepower to destroy all life on earth several times over. This sword of Damocles is hanging over us by a thread, just as it loomed large during the last cold war with Moscow. It’s a machinery of annihilation that is set on hair-trigger alert, and any number of events could unleash it: a miscalculation, a foolish bluff, a misunderstanding, a technical glitch, a showdown similar to the Cuban missile crisis. All that stands between us and utter extinction is the hope that this apparatus of death can be restrained by mutual agreement.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul.
    "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne
    "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

A little prophetic insight from the past that has proven too true:

“Were the Soviet Union to sink tomorrow under the waters of the ocean, the American military-industrial establishment would have to go on, substantially unchanged, until some other adversary could be invented. Anything else would be an unacceptable shock to the American economy.” - George Kennan
    "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    From Justin Raimondo:
    both the US and the Russians possess enough nuclear firepower to destroy all life on earth several times over. This sword of Damocles is hanging over us by a thread, just as it loomed large during the last cold war with Moscow. It’s a machinery of annihilation that is set on hair-trigger alert, and any number of events could unleash it: a miscalculation, a foolish bluff, a misunderstanding, a technical glitch, a showdown similar to the Cuban missile crisis. All that stands between us and utter extinction is the hope that this apparatus of death can be restrained by mutual agreement.
    destroy all life on earth several times over”

simply not true.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    destroy all life on earth several times over”
    simply not true.
    How true. You can only destroy life one time over. You can't destroy it a second time no matter how many thousands of nuclear warhead you amass. The extra nukes is just surplus.

How true. You can only destroy life one time over. You can't destroy it a second time no matter how many thousands of nuclear warhead you amass. The extra nukes is just surplus.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

B-52's couldn't be any more ready than they were in the '50's with Rock in charge.

However, the Air Force is gayer than ever.
    "Even an establishment Republican like Jerry Moran is far more libertarian you are." Traditional Conservative

"You're a far more horrible person than she (Bristol Palin) will ever be." angelatc

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    B-52's couldn't be any more ready than they were in the '50's with Rock in charge.However, the Air Force is gayer than ever.

Short Income Tax Video

While I understand whence all the sarcasm, the practical nature of this move is justified. We can debate all day long what we should or should not have done to avoid the current world situation, but that would be moot. The fact is we are here, now. Given the reality and that Fat Boy in NK is what he is, the reactivation of the B52s is a prudent move.

My little brother of another mother was head of all intelligence for Korea for years. He is one of the most clued-in intelligence officers on the planet, if not THE most. He expresses the opinion that Un is pretty much unhinged and poses a clear threat.

Therefore, be careful when assessing these situations. I think we all agree we never should have allowed things to get this way, but given that they ARE this way, we have to proceed based on the current reality and not our wish list world of unicorn poo and kittens.

Just a thought.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

Be a warrior abhorrent of war, willing to wage it in the face of trespass.

When the Cold War ended, I believed that we no longer had to take that risk [nuclear annihilation] so I put all my energy into efforts to dismantle the deadly nuclear legacy of the Cold War. During my period as the Secretary of Defense in the 90s, I oversaw the dismantlement of 8,000 nuclear weapons evenly divided between the United States and the former Soviet Union. And I thought then that we were well on our way to putting behind us this deadly existential threat, But that was not to be.

Today, inexplicably to me, we’re recreating the geopolitical hostility of the Cold War, and we’re rebuilding the nuclear dangers.… We are doing this without any serious public discussion or any real understanding of the consequences of these actions. We are sleepwalking into a new Cold War, and there’s very real danger that we will blunder into a nuclear war.
    ” – William J. Perry, November 28, 2017

When the Cold War ended, I believed that we no longer had to take that risk [nuclear annihilation] so I put all my energy into efforts to dismantle the deadly nuclear legacy of the Cold War. During my period as the Secretary of Defense in the 90s, I oversaw the dismantlement of 8,000 nuclear weapons evenly divided between the United States and the former Soviet Union. And I thought then that we were well on our way to putting behind us this deadly existential threat, But that was not to be.

Today, inexplicably to me, we’re recreating the geopolitical hostility of the Cold War, and we’re rebuilding the nuclear dangers.… We are doing this without any serious public discussion or any real understanding of the consequences of these actions. We are sleepwalking into a new Cold War, and there’s very real danger that we will blunder into a nuclear war.
    ” – William J. Perry, November 28, 2017
    Bla, bla, bla,.......But the Russians hacked our democracy.

And they don't respect homosexual rights.

And they invaded Yoocrane.

And they stolled Crayonia.

Boobus ain't afraid.

"murika's never lost a worr.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 12-08-2017 at 04:30 PM.

More from William J. Perry, November 28, 2017:

The miscalculations of Soviet and American leaders almost led to a nuclear holocaust. … we avoided that catastrophe as much by good luck as by good management.

Also during the Cold War we faced the risk of an accidental nuclear war … During the Cold War, there were three such false alarms in the United States and at least two that I know about in the Soviet Union. That averages to be about one every eight years.

I personally experienced one of those false alarms, and it changed forever my way of thinking about nuclear dangers. It occurred in October of 1979, when I was the Undersecretary of Defense for Research and Engineering. Awoken from a sound sleep at 3 o’clock in the morning, as I sleepily put the phone to my ears, the voice on the other end identified himself as the watch officer for the North American Air Defense Command. The general got right to the point: he told me that his computers were showing 200 ICBMs on the way from the Soviet Union to the United States. For one heart-stopping moment, I thought we were about to experience the holocaust … But the general quickly explained they had already concluded there was a false alarm. He was calling me to help him determine what had gone wrong with his computer.

There were actually two separate false alarms during the period I was undersecretary. The most dangerous occurred one night when the computer operators changed shifts, and the new operators mistakenly instead of putting in the operating tape put in a training tape. The training tape, of course, was designed to look like a realistic attack scenario. It was human error. That is, our system, with all of its safety features, was still vulnerable to a single person potentially bringing about the end of our civilization.

Two things saved the world from that fate. … the watch officer that night was exceptionally thoughtful and responsible, for which we can all be thankful. And … There were no international incidents under way that made a Soviet attack especially plausible. But what if that false alarm had occurred during the Cuban Missile Crisis, or during one of our Mideast crises when we had our forces on high alert? In that context, the watch officer surely would have passed the alarm on to the President, who, after being awoken at 3 o’clock in the morning, would have less than ten minutes to decide whether to launch our ICBMs before they were destroyed in their silos.

Had he ordered the launch, there would be no way of recalling the missiles or destroying them in flight; the President would have accidentally started a global nuclear war. …

What about now? … the likelihood of some sort of a nuclear catastrophe today is actually greater than it was during the Cold War. … Because the United States and Russia today are confronting each other with a hostility that is recreating the geopolitical dangers of the Cold War, and because the United States and Russia are rebuilding their Cold War nuclear arsenals, there’s recreating the military dangers of the Cold War. …

we are still vulnerable to blundering into a nuclear war if we have a crisis with Russia comparable to the Cuban Missile Crisis. And when I consider the possibility of another false alarm, I notice humans will err again. Machines will malfunction again. And so we will have another false alarm. …

Even in the face of this, Russia and the United States still today have a policy of launch on warning. And both Russia and the United States are building new ICBMs to replace the ones built during the Cold War.

That means ultimately the future of civilization will depend on the judgment of an anonymous watch officer and the judgment and the temperament of the American President or the Russian President, who have the sole authority to launch a nuclear attack. …