Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: NFL HELL: Owners/TV networks face mounting losses as Trump called boycotts spread

I was boycotting the NFL before it was cool.

Somewhere between the pussification of the sport and the Sunday Night announcer comparing the NFL rule book to the IRS Code as no one knows what is in it, the sport lost its appeal.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's definitely cool now, reports now say over quarter a million have pledged to boycott NFL.

Over 250k Americans vow to boycott NFL over Veteran’s Day weekend — then NFL announces anthem policy

30 mins
    Over a quarter million people have signed up to boycott the NFL this Veterans Day, but the league says no changes to anthem policy. (Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

Over a quarter million people have joined a Facebook group vowing to boycott the NFL this weekend — which included Veteran’s Day — over the ongoing national anthem protests among the players.

What’s going on?
    A Facebook page, Boycott the NFL, has more than 250,000 follows from people who have vowed to boycott the NFL. Those who support the page have promised to protest the NFL today.
    “We will be not be watching or listening to NFL games on November 12th in solidarity with veterans around the country, as football players have continued to disrespect the national anthem, the American flag, and everything our nation stands for,” the page says, according to Fox News.

Thought saw 20,000 in other report yesterday but that may have been typo.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    It's definitely cool now, reports now say over quarter a million have pledged to boycott NFL.

Over 250k Americans vow to boycott NFL over Veteran’s Day weekend — then NFL announces anthem policy

30 mins
    Over a quarter million people have signed up to boycott the NFL this Veterans Day, but the league says no changes to anthem policy. (Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

Over a quarter million people have joined a Facebook group vowing to boycott the NFL this weekend — which included Veteran’s Day — over the ongoing national anthem protests among the players.

What’s going on?
    A Facebook page, Boycott the NFL, has more than 250,000 follows from people who have vowed to boycott the NFL. Those who support the page have promised to protest the NFL today.
    “We will be not be watching or listening to NFL games on November 12th in solidarity with veterans around the country, as football players have continued to disrespect the national anthem, the American flag, and everything our nation stands for,” the page says, according to Fox News.

Thought saw 20,000 in other report yesterday but that may have been typo.
    NFL is not tax exempt. The teams never were and the league offices gave up the status a few years ago. League office revenues are about $9 million- not $9 billion (that is the figure including all the team revenues which were not tax exempt). First image is fake news.

http://time.com/3839164/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

The NFL’s teams, who see a bulk of the league’s $11 billion in revenue, are taxable entities. So the NFL does pay taxes. The league office is tax-exempt, but it generated just $9 million in income during the 2012 tax year.
    (this was before they gave up that tax exemption)

How may of the Facebook page followers regularly watch football games in the first place? Boycotting something you never do in the first place isn't much of a boycott.

Calls to boycott also help call attention to the player protests and give them more media attention.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-12-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Wonder if the meme maker confused revenue with profit, I've removed the meme for now.

Examining NFL revenue streams - Sports Business Daily
    www.sportsbusinessdaily.com › SBJ › January 28-February 3, 2013
    Jan 28, 2013 - Without inside access to the NFL’s books, it’s tough to know exactly how to create a pie chart for the league’s $9.5 billion of revenue in 2012. We do know from the 2011 season that of the year’s nearly $9.4 billion in revenue, $5.5 billion (58.5 percent) came from ...

Related

Jim Johnson‏ @justice1place 2h2 hours ago

#DALvsATL #NFL @EmptySeatsPics Local Bar. Game on two TVs. #NFLisBORING

Marshawn Lynch Stands Only For Mexican National Anthem

Afro-Mexicans are treated like garbage and subject to extreme, racist violence in Mexico. Lynch has no problem standing for their national anthem.

As I said, this is purely about hating America.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/marshawn-ly...tional-anthem/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Nothing about the Dolphins who knelt during the US anthem and stood during the UK anthem during Week 4? (I guess that wasn't on Fox News).

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...game/23228816/

Meanwhile, at least three members of the Dolphins -- Kenny Stills, Michael Thomas and Julius Thomas -- were seen kneeling during "The Star-Spangled Banner." All three then stood for the British anthem, "God Save the Queen," which was sung because the game was being played in England.
    https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/19/...iders-patriots

Players who have taken a knee or sat during the national anthem the past two seasons have done so to protest police brutality and systemic injustices against people of color in the United States.

That’s why Lynch stood for the Mexican national anthem. He’s not a citizen of that nation, and has nothing to protest as far as what goes on within their country.

It’s similar to what the Miami Dolphins did in London against the Saints at Wembley, where players kneeled for the U.S. anthem, and stood for the British anthem.

Because this isn’t a protest of anthems or nations, it’s a protest against inequality.

Player protests have been used by the president and vice president to try and score political points with their conservative base. He tweeted about Lynch on Monday morning.

His tweet came less than 20 minutes after the Fox News Network’s Fox & Friends ran a segment about Lynch sitting during the anthem on Sunday.

Trump did not tweet about the Dolphins players standing for the British anthem and kneeling during the American one in Week
    He only seems to tweet about black athletes.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Not only did the league keep Godell as commissioner, there is now a $90million activism fund.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Not only did the league keep Godell as commissioner, there is now a $90million activism fund.
    So they are doubling down on the stupid.

Goood, goood...

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    I was boycotting the NFL before it was cool.

Somewhere between the pussification of the sport and the Sunday Night announcer comparing the NFL rule book to the IRS Code as no one knows what is in it, the sport lost its appeal.
    The incredible over complication of the rules is the bigger problem in my opinion. There's so many subjective penalties and they are so severe that I'd say maybe 30% of who won or lost the game is altered by bad calls.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Marshawn Lynch Stands Only For Mexican National Anthem

Afro-Mexicans are treated like garbage and subject to extreme, racist violence in Mexico. Lynch has no problem standing for their national anthem.

As I said, this is purely about hating America.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/marshawn-ly...tional-anthem/
    I wasn't sure where to post this but I came across something outrageous last week. I was investing the Charlottesville incident and I found an article that said the UN was registering some kind of civil rights warnings/complaints against Trump and his comments following the ramming incident. So just out of curiosity I looked to see what the UN was saying about the atrocities against white farmers in Zimbabwe. The UN did list a few formal complaints against Zimbabwe, for not taking the land fast enough from the white farmers and giving it to the black people! Can you believe that?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    The incredible over complication of the rules is the bigger problem in my opinion. There's so many subjective penalties and they are so severe that I'd say maybe 30% of who won or lost the game is altered by bad calls.
    And considering how many people bet money on these games, it’s no wonder more people aren’t boycotting.

I remember the made up rule that cost me $2,500 well. It’s what pissed me off enough to boycott the NFL. Some seven years later and it’s only gotten absurd.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-28-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Final figures 2017 vs 2016 (Hosting team attendance summation)
    2017 17,253,425
    2016 17,788,671
    Diff -535,246 (-3%)

Top five losers:
    Team 2017 2016 Diff
    Los Angeles Chargers 202,687 456,197 -253,510
    Los Angeles Rams 507,136 665,318 -158,182
    Cincinnati Bengals 425,937 508,071 -82,134
    Washington Redskins 601,405 626,432 -25,027
    Indianapolis Colts 507,525 524,393 -16,868
    Important to note that the Chargers are now playing their games in a stadium considerably smaller than the one they used last year. Qualcomm- home of the Chargers last season- had a capacity of 70,000. Stubhub (their temporary stadium while a new one is being built in LA) can only hold 27,000. Rams are also using a temporary stadium so they did not have long standing season ticket holders. Even if the Chargers had sold out every home game this season, their attendance would still be 240,000 down from the previous year (selling out every game would mean 216,000).

That alone accounts for almost half the attendance decline for the entire league. Eliminate the Chargers figures and attendance was down 281,176 or just 1.6%. (and of note, that is the figure for those who attended the games and does not include those who purchased tickets giving the teams the revenue but did not go to the game).

NASCAR is in much worse shape- and they didn't have to deal with any protests or Presidential Tweets.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...s-the-nfls-why

Still, things could be worse for the NFL. It could be Nascar. A decade ago the sport emerged as an unlikely challenger to pro football’s small-screen primacy, attracting nearly 20 million viewers to the 2006 Daytona 500. But Nascar has lost more than 45% of its audience since then, according to Nielsen. What’s more, equally dismal live spectator figures have compelled some tracks to remove seats from their grandstands.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...eats/87534784/

Attendance at NASCAR races is down across the country, as are television ratings.

While the sport and its tracks are on solid financial ground — courtesy of a 10-year, $8.2 billion TV package with Fox and NBC that runs through 2024 — no one is sanguine about the apparent shrinking interest in the sport.

Sunday's Crown Royal Combat Wounded Coalition 400 at The Brickyard at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was the latest sign of decline, registering the lowest estimated attendance in the event's 23 years — about 50,000 fans in stands that can accommodate 250,000.

Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman & Co., which owns the Speedway, said the Brickyard 400 is important to the company and efforts would be made to rebuild audiences.

“It’s a big place,” Miles said. “When you use the whole stands, it takes a really big crowd. It’s an event that’s important to us. I think it’s important to NASCAR and to the NASCAR paddock, so we are just going to redouble the effort to grow it.”
    Beyond Indy, the International Speedway Corp. and Speedway Motorsports Inc. — the publicly owned corporations that operate 20 of the Cup series’ 23 tracks — have seen attendance revenue fall. According to a review of the companies’ annual reports, ISC’s attendance revenue is down 49 percent from its highest point, in 2007; SMI’s is down 46 percent from its peak, in 2008.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-01-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    NASCAR is in much worse shape- and they didn't have to deal with any protests or Presidential Tweets.
    For many of the same reasons:

1 - Out of touch and out of control "celebrity" pretty boy drivers.

2 - Stupid politically correct commentary and promotion of less qualified drivers.

3 - Insane ticket prices. (a working class family cannot afford $1000 or more to attend one race)

4 - Stifling, confusing and Grundy-esque rules and regulations that hamper the thrill and competitiveness of the sport.

5 - This one doesn't apply to football, or maybe it does, with high priced "thoroughbred" players instead of blue collar meat packers and steel workers playing the game as part time job: "stock" car racing with cars that in no way, shape or form resemble a "stock" car. With Dodge offering 840 hp factory Challengers, Ford offering 650 hp factory Mustangs and Chevy offering 755 hp factory Corvettes, there is no reason that fast, thrilling racing could take place with cars that are functionally not a nut or bolt different from what a middle class, blue collar guy could buy right off the showroom floor the next day.

Important to note that the Chargers are now playing their games in a stadium considerably smaller than the one they used last year. Qualcomm- home of the Chargers last season- had a capacity of 70,000. Stubhub (their temporary stadium while a new one is being built in LA) can only hold 27,000. Rams are also using a temporary stadium so they did not have long standing season ticket holders. Even if the Chargers had sold out every home game this season, their attendance would still be 240,000 down from the previous year (selling out every game would mean 216,000).

That alone accounts for almost half the attendance decline for the entire league. Eliminate the Chargers figures and attendance was down 281,176 or just 1.6%. (and of note, that is the figure for those who attended the games and does not include those who purchased tickets giving the teams the revenue but did not go to the game).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...s-the-nfls-why

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...eats/87534784/
    So , a 1 percent dropoff and mostly among teams who moved or were not competing for a playoff spot , or were previously better than currently are ? Seems about normal to me .....

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post

Gaints were a losing team (two wins going into this game) playing another losing team and the wind chill was minus 12 degrees. Don't think I would have gone to that game either. (70,000 tickets were sold).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Next year will tell more. Season ticket holders can cancel now. Pretty much every football "fan" that I know has stopped watching.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

They was Gaints!11! (sic)

We wuz Cold!

I haz stats! Don't B-leeve yo lyin' eyes!

https://dailystormer.red/negro-felon...rry-christmas/

One more thing: NASCAR is a family monopoly that has the power to put races in all the tracks they own plus take all the merchandising money. If you actually go to a race, it's astonishing to see how many cars don't have sponsors.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-28-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-28-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910