Thread: MasterCard Ending Signature Requirements

MasterCard Ending Signature Requirements

https://consumerist.com/2017/10/19/m...-requirements/

10.19.17 By Ashlee Kieler

For as long as we can remember, paying with a credit card required you to sign your name on the dotted line. While this system has changed over the years — mandating your John Hancock only for purchases over a certain amount — MasterCard is perhaps planning the biggest change of them all: The payment company will eliminate signature payments altogether.

Starting in April 2018, MasterCard users will no longer be required to sign their name when they purchase something using their debit or credit cards.

The change comes as the company has eliminated signatures over time. To date, the company says that just 20% of transactions in North America still require a signature at checkout.

Convenient & Secure

By doing away with signatures, MasterCard says it is taking another step in its “digital evolution of payments and payment security,” while also providing convenience for customers.

“At first glance, this might sound like a radical proclamation, especially to people who have had credit and debit cards for decades,” Linda Kirkpatrick, executive vice president of market development at MasterCard, said in a statement. “However, the change matches all of our expectations for fast and convenient shopping experiences.”

According to MasterCard’s own consumer research, the majority of people believe it would be easier to pay and that checkout lines would move faster if they didn’t need to sign when making a purchase.

As for security, MasterCard assures customers that removing the need for signatures at the time of checkout will not impact the safety of their purchases.

For starters, shoppers generally just scribble their name in the “sign here” box at checkout. Often those signatures aren’t checked against anything, otherwise we’d probably have a lot more denied transactions.

MasterCard notes that its network and payment system already include other methods to prove someone’s identity, including the use of chips, tokenization, and personalized identification numbers.

“Beyond what you see and experience at checkout, there is behind-the-scenes technology at work every second of every day to protect every transaction,” Kirkpatrick notes.

All In Agreement

MasterCard’s impending signature change has already been greeted with support from merchants.

Kirkpatrick says the move will help partner merchants speed customers through checkouts, provide more consistent experiences, and decrease the costs associated with storing signatures.

The Retail Industry Leaders Association — which counts a number of major retailers, such as Apple, Best Buy, Gap, Target, Walmart, and others as members — called MasterCard’s end of signature requirement a “good first step.”

The change addresses retailers’ long-argued position that signature requirements are costly, and a now less relevant way to secure transactions.

“RILA supports this policy change and encourages other payment networks to follow Mastercard’s lead,” Austen Jenson, president of government affairs for RILA, said in a statement. “Going forward, the payment industry needs to focus on finding solutions to the growth of fraud both in stores and online, where current measures are inadequate for protecting consumers and merchants.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now servers can write in their own tips...

War on Cash continues,unabated.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    http://www.gematrix.org/?word=no+more+cash
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

no war on cash as long as people keep paying with it. It takes a little more effort, for sure. I'm a dedicated cash spender, for the most part.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    no war on cash as long as people keep paying with it. It takes a little more effort, for sure. I'm a dedicated cash spender, for the most part.
    The only problem is most some places won't accept cash anymore. However, a way around it is don't do business with them. One of the reasons I like to buy local and stay with local businesses as much as I can. Bartering is even better.

ETA: Okay concede to 'most' and changed it to 'some.' Happy now?
    Last edited by donnay; 10-22-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Signing is an old relic anyways. Stores have been increasing the amounts which they do require a signature for and when was the last time a bank actually bothered to check up on who signed for a credit purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    The only problem is most places won't accept cash anymore. However, a way around it is don't do business with them. One of the reasons I like to buy local and stay with local businesses as much as I can. Bartering is even better.
    I haven't encountered any place which will not accept cash (maybe the airport ticket counter).

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Signing is an old relic anyways. Stores have been increasing the amounts which they do require a signature for and when was the last time a bank actually bothered to check up on who signed for a credit purchase?
    When the buyer files a chargeback the signature protects the vendor.

The only problem is most places won't accept cash anymore. However, a way around it is don't do business with them. One of the reasons I like to buy local and stay with local businesses as much as I can. Bartering is even better.
    Most places happily accept cash.

what places won't accept cash? Since you say "most", please name at least 5.

They don't need signatures any more since the users of the cards are now all on camera and will soon all be biometrically identified instead.

This issue goes to heart of how the ALL CAPS NAME slave system works. In the past, the ALL CAPS NAME on the card required a living man/woman to voluntarily agree to be physical surety for the ALL CAPS NAME entity created by the issuance of birth registration documents. That was how they could bind the living man/woman to the agreement and extract your labor as payment for the banker's imaginary money. For those that don't know, the ALL CAPS NAME on the card, bank statements, government documents, etc does not identify your living flesh and blood body. It's the "pass through" that allows for living things to interact commercially with non-living corporate entities like governments, banks and stores. It's commonly called the 'strawman'. By signing, your soul agrees to pledge your physical body as surety against the debt created by the use of the card with the ALL CAPS NAME on it. So, now that every living man/woman is on camera, and soon biometrically id'ed, using the card (aka pledging their body as surety) there is no need for a signature any more. This will become even further entrenched once bodily embedded chips and/or biometric means is used to "pay" for something.

The War on Cash is about removing one of the last remnants of a living man's ability to anonymously conduct commerce without expressly pledging his body to the bankers as surety for their privately owned and issued debt. The freedom to transact in cash only, treating cash as a barter item instead of "money". You will also see physical forms of ID (same ALL CAPS NAME) slowly removed from society. Autonomous cars, any one? No Driver's License issuance needed anymore. Standard ID cards will be phased out also. Both in favor of chips/biometrics. Why? Because currently a living man can exercise the freedom to NOT carry an ID with him and therefore not be physical surety for the ALL CAPS NAME. This is why police immediately ask for "your" ID. By presenting it you are unknowingly pledging your body as surety for the ALL CAPS NAME on the ID, therefore giving the corporate police/government jurisdiction over your body. You did sign the ID, after all. That signature is a pledge of your body as property, agreeing to abide by the banker's corporate codes/regulations!

(There will probably be alterations made at some point that eliminates the NAME portion altogether and simply links your biometrics to their mark of the beast identifier number. The principle is the same, however. Linking your physical body to their created identifier.)
    Last edited by devil21; 10-21-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    what places won't accept cash? Since you say "most", please name at least 5.
    Purchasing a plane ticket
    Taxi-cabs
    Rental car companies
    Some Hotels
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Purchasing a plane ticket
    Taxi-cabs
    Rental car companies
    Some Hotels
    Haven't used a taxi in a long time but they probably still take cash.

http://www.theyellowcab.com/rates/

Our cab drivers accept cash and credit card payments. All taxicabs have card readers for immediate transactions.
    You can pay car rentals with cash too with some (they still require a credit/ debit card for security).

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Haven't used a taxi in a long time but they probably still take cash.
    Hence the invention of Uber and Lyft. Companies that are losing money hand-over-fist quarter after quarter yet still somehow manage to stay in business. Makes ya wonder who is funneling money to keep them running

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Hence the invention of Uber and Lyft. Companies that are losing money hand-over-fist quarter after quarter yet still somehow manage to stay in business. Makes ya wonder who is funneling money to keep them running
    Last edited by timosman; 10-22-2017 at 10:12 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have never been turned down for a cash purchase. I notice air flights won't take cash, but I don't buy anything from them.

All FRNs specifically say, "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."
    Last edited by euphemia; 10-22-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

Ok, so change "most" to "some"...

Is anybody here denying that the powers that be are pushing the "cashless economy" model?

I disagree. I live in a big city and have never been turned down for a cash purchase.

Actually, in NYC, there are places that will not accept cards, or they have a minimum purchase to use a card. Electronic payments have fees attached, so they are expensive for a merchant.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Makes me wonder what your original post was instead of the 1.5 hour later edit. But no, Uber and Lyft do not take cash for ride services, do they? Cards and smartphone reservations only. And eventually will be the autonomous cars that can't accept cash even for a tip. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I used to think Uber was great, until one of their drivers charged my debit card for a "cancellation fee" even though I didn't actually book the ride, I was merely inquiring about it. Made me never want to use them again and delete the app.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Ok, so change "most" to "some"...

Is anybody here denying that the powers that be are pushing the "cashless economy" model?
    It definitely seems to be happening… slowly but surely. And it is prophesied.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    I used to think Uber was great, until one of their drivers charged my debit card for a "cancellation fee" even though I didn't actually book the ride, I was merely inquiring about it. Made me never want to use them again and delete the app.
    Just remember that anything these days that gets wide media coverage as part of the roll-out (particularly when sold as 'more convenient', 'for your safety', etc) is little more than a social engineering tool and generally is a stepping stone to further losses of freedom. Most people don't realize, nor probably care, that their freedom is being removed in favor of convenience and security (see B. Franklin's quote about such things).
    Last edited by devil21; 10-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I disagree. I live in a big city and have never been turned down for a cash purchase.
    You don't agree that, globally, there is a move afoot amongst governments and bankers to eliminate cash as a day to day means of transactions?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You don't agree that, globally, there is a move afoot amongst governments and bankers to eliminate cash as a day to day means of transactions?
    It is called inflation.

A walk-in vendor has never turned down my cash. There have been times when they were glad to get it. Go to a convenience store near the lake on a holiday weekend. They will take cash and be glad of it. I guess I live in a place where there is a large cash economy. People use a lot of cash. Somewhere between illegal immigration and Dave Ramsey, I guess.
    #NashvilleStrong

It would be more accurate to say that more places are accepting payment cards IN ADDITION to cash rather than instead of cash. Taxis used to be cash only.