Thread: Solar power crushes its own record for cheapest electricity ever, anywhere, by any technology

Solar power crushes its own record for cheapest electricity ever, anywhere, by any technology

Solar power crushes its own record for cheapest electricity ever, anywhere, by any technology

The lowest price for solar power last year is the highest price now.

Prices for new solar power projects are falling so fast that the cheapest prices from 2016 have become the ceiling price for solar today.

In April 2016, Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) reported that the record low unsubsidized solar energy price was 3.6 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh), in a March 2016 contract in Mexico.

This month, every single bid that Saudi Arabia received for its 300-Megawatt (MW) Sakaka solar project was cheaper than that.

The lowest bid price was 1.79 cents/kWh. For context, the average residential price for electricity in the United States is more than six times that, 12 cents/kWh.

The jaw-dropping price of 1.79 cents is not about to become the new ceiling for solar bids — since the market conditions in Saudi Arabia are fairly unique and it’s not clear the bidder, Masdar (owned by the United Arab Emirates) and its French partner EDF would actually make money at that price.

But, still, seven of the eight bids were below three cents — and the two lowest bids were “the lowest prices ever recorded at a global level,” as PV magazine noted,..more: https://thinkprogress.org/stunner-lo...-f3b620d04010/

At 1.79 cents/kWh a Kilogram of Hydrogen (capable of moving 4 adults and a 4,000 pound car around 60 miles) costs $0.89 cents. That’s equal to $0.45 cents per gallon gas. (50 kWh = 1 Kg H2) Solar Hydrogen: Fuel of the Future

How long does a solar panel last? The best panels today are warranted to output 80% of the rated power in 25 years.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am so glad that I got into solar a long time ago. I started studying about it way back in the 70's. I started selling solar products about 10 years ago it as well. Puerto Rico will be totally solar very soon. If anyone is interested in getting it and helping others get it just let me know. It looks to me like solar is going to take out big oil. I am very happy about it

See? The government doesn't need to do anything.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    See? The government doesn't need to do anything.
    Except subsidize it...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Except subsidize it...
    They don't "have" to, it will still become cheaper and more viable over time in the free market.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

They don't "have" to, it will still become cheaper and more viable over time in the free market.
    Probably

but all the power and resources that go into building the solar infrastructure is always discounted in the end cost.

How about the cost of keeping back up power sources running when the sun is not powering the solar panels?

Until there is a cheap and reliable way to store power, Then the gas power plants will still need to run.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Except subsidize it...
    Do you call getting a tax break a subsidy? The State I am gives a 35% of the cost of the system right off the top of your taxes. Other states give even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Do you call getting a tax break a subsidy? The State I am gives a 35% of the cost of the system right off the top of your taxes. Other states give even more.
    Yeah sure, a form of it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Are you completely off the grid and don't need to use the powergrid? Are the tax breaks you are getting from the state for moneys earmarked for "services" you are no longer using because you have solar power? if not, then its a subsidy.

In the science forums I frequent they hate solar and wind. They're convinced it's just a wasteful boondoggle and the money would be much better invested in hydrogen and nuclear with a healthy dose of geothermal

The free market abandoned wind and solar about 200 years ago because it's inefficient. Using other people's money doesn't change that.

Puerto Rico was both bankrupt and heavily invested in wind / solar. Go figure.

Last edited by angelatc; 10-21-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    In the science forums I frequent they hate solar and wind. They're convinced it's just a wasteful boondoggle and the money would be much better invested in hydrogen and nuclear with a healthy dose of geothermal
    no love for hydroelectric?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    no love for hydroelectric?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Are you completely off the grid and don't need to use the powergrid? Are the tax breaks you are getting from the state for moneys earmarked for "services" you are no longer using because you have solar power? if not, then its a subsidy.
    I am part of an electric co-op I could be off grid but I hook into the co-op. Our co-op has one of the largest solar farms in the state and I helped get that going. We try to never let one of our members get their power shut off. We have a pay as you go electric payment plan which is really good we can keep power on for someone out of credit for as little as $10. I recycle my unused power back to the co-op in lieu of payment I have reserve power credit in the event that it rains for weeks. I can also give it to other members of the co-op if they do not have any credits. I wish more people had something like this. I never have to worry about power.

I do encourage everyone to find a way to have solar if you have the rays for it. There are some pretty good bateries out there and they are working on a solar/hydrogen hybrid system it should be on the market soon I think. Big oil may not be happy about it but, I am. Every since the 70's it has been my dream to beat the big power companies and I am finally seeing it happen. YEA!

I don't know what my taxes are ear marked for. I hear a lot of hollering about roads and bridges. I live on a private dirt road off of a state dirt road and hell we are lucky if they scrape it every now and then. The people who live out here maintain it. We have a few living out here who want to raise our taxes so they will pave the road but raising taxes doesn't go over too well with most of the people who live here. We usually just have a couple of garage sales each year to pay gas for the guy that scrapes the road. One time the bridge at the bottom of the hill washed out and we rebuilt it because there were a lot of people who could not get out and the state made us tear it down and didn't fix it for over a month. Yea taxes huh...