Thread: IRS Changes Position, Will Not Accept Tax Returns Which Are Silent On Healthcare Coverage

IRS Changes Position, Will Not Accept Tax Returns Which Are Silent On Healthcare Coverage

In a reversal, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has indicated that it will not accept electronically filed tax returns where the taxpayer does not address the health coverage requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). This is in contrast to the 2017 filing season when the IRS took the position that it would accept and process tax returns where a taxpayer is silent on coverage. The tax agency said, at that time, that the treatment was consistent with their previous policy.
    However, for the 2018 tax season, that will not be the case. According to the IRS, electronically filed tax returns will not be accepted "until the taxpayer indicates whether they had coverage, had an exemption or will make a shared responsibility payment." Additionally, paper tax returns "may be suspended pending the receipt of additional information and any refunds may be delayed."

More at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph.../#3f83076b7d7f
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What if you don't pay? You might lose your refund. But otherwise? There's not a whole lot that could happen to you. As I've noted before, Congress didn't give IRS any real "teeth" for enforcement: no jail time, no liens, no levies. That doesn't mean they won't come after you with a big, threatening letter and a virtual shaking of the government's fist at you. And it doesn't mean they won't hold your refund.
    So to recap, ACA is still law and the IRS says it plans to the enforce the law - as much as it can, anyhow. What comes next? We'll just have to wait and see.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

And what statute affords the IRS such privilege, pray tell?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Last edited by timosman; 10-19-2017 at 09:48 AM.

The deep state is at it again. This time defying Donald Trump's executive order. They should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    And what statute affords the IRS such privilege, pray tell?
    IRC §6402(a):

In the case of any overpayment, the Secretary, within the applicable period of limitations, may credit the amount of such overpayment, including any interest allowed thereon, against any liability in respect of an internal revenue tax on the part of the person who made the overpayment and shall, subject to subsections (c), (d), (e), and (f) refund any balance to such person.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    IRC §6402(a):
    Ahum. Yea, that does not permit the IRS to refuse to process individual tax returns. In fact the IRS is legally obliged to process all such income tax returns, excluding only that that are incapable of being processed due to being grossly incomprehensible or nonsensical.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    What if you don't pay? You might lose your refund.
    You lose future refunds as well. Best bet is to either claim an exemption or change your withholding so you owe them at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You lose future refunds as well. Best bet is to either claim an exemption or change your withholding so you owe them at the end of the year.
    You will be fined for doing this. Do not ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    You will be fined for doing this. Do not ask me how I know.
    I would assume your friend changed his/her withholding claiming 5 (or something) when in fact that person is an individual? Yes, you can get fined for that. But if you cut it close, so that you end up owing only a little bit, they generally won't mess with you.