Thread: Rand Paul: John McCain, Lindsey Graham 'parading' as conservatives, need to be 'called out'

Rand Paul: John McCain, Lindsey Graham 'parading' as conservatives, need to be 'called out'

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ra...rticle/2637813

by Diana Stancy Correll | Oct 17, 2017,

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., slammed his colleagues in the Senate, Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., for "parading" as conservatives while opposing legislation that is not "conservative."

"People like McCain and Graham, who parade as conservatives but are not really conservative, they need to be called out because they are bankrupting our country," Paul said Tuesday.

Paul added that Graham was part of the "problem" in Washington, D.C., and has contributed to the national debt because of his willingness to increase military spending.

"Lindsey Graham wouldn't know a conservative if he met one," Paul, who is libertarian, said before wading into the debate on the rising national debt. "He's never been a conservative. He's probably a big part of why we have such a massive debt in this country."

"Why is the deficit bigger all the time, under Republicans or Democrats?" Paul said. "Because neither one of them are conservative. And I frankly am infuriated by the idea that these people will continue to throw wool over the eyes of the American voter and simply say 'Oh we're conservative' and yet they pass stuff that is just frankly, not conservative."

Paul said he would back a large tax cut, but he would not do so if that meant budget caps were not in place.

Although Paul previously was planning on opposing it, he said Trump convinced him to change his mind and he voted to start debate on the fiscal 2018 budget resolution Tuesday. Paul played golf with the president over the weekend.

"The motion to proceed was not as big a deal, but I think you can say the president was influential in getting me to vote for the motion to proceed," Paul said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    McCain did help Paul stop the Obamacare replacement bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Rand Paul and John McCain are lazer tag buddies. They often discuss political skullduggery.

Zippy is always spinning "good" out of pure evil.

I wonder why he is here on the RPF.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Zippy is always spinning "good" out of pure evil.

I wonder why he is here on the RPF.
    He is the actual owner of the site and shows up from time to time to $#@! with people.

Yeah kinda like how Paul will vote no on something because it strengthens government spying and McCain will vote no because it includes some minor protections against spying.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Paul & McCain voted oppositely on each health care bill.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...obamacare.html

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Paul & McCain voted oppositely on each health care bill.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...obamacare.html
    I did not realize that Rand favored fixing Obamacare- voting for two of the three replace bills. Interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/19/politi...ill/index.html

Why Rand Paul opposes the GOP Obamacare repeal bill

Sen. Rand Paul continues to attack the latest Republican attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare -- the Graham-Cassidy bill -- calling it "another big government boondoggle."

Speaking on Fox News Tuesday, Paul denounced the bill as an Obamacare 2.0 that happens to give more power to states.

"This isn't a repeal. This is keeping Obamacare and redistributing the proceeds.," said Paul. "So, this is not a repeal bill, this is sort of, 'Hey, we'll take Obamacare, replace it with Obamacare, but we're going to let the states have a little more power in how we spend it.'"
    He denounced it but voted for it?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/rand-p...rticle/2009743

Rand Paul's Epic Obamacare Flip-Flop?

He voted for a bill that kept 100 percent of the law's spending but says he can't vote for a bill that keeps 90 percent.

At the end of July, Kentucky senator Rand Paul advocated and voted for the so-called "skinny repeal" bill of Obamacare. "Skinny repeal is better than no repeal," Paul said on Fox News. "The reason I will advocate and vote for skinny repeal is that it's the best I can get."

But now that Republicans are trying to take one last shot at Obamacare by passing the Graham-Cassidy bill, Paul is adamantly opposed to the "better than nothing" argument. "It keeps 90 percent of the spending of Obamacare and reshuffles it," Paul told reporters on Monday, dismissing Graham-Cassidy as "Obamacare Lite."

"If you asked any conservative up here—'Would you vote for a brand new trillion dollars in taxes, trillion dollars in spending and then we'll call it federalism by redistributing it and giving it out to the states?'—most people would laugh at you. But because this already exists people are saying, 'Oh well, it's better than what we've got.'"

"This is not repeal, and I'm not for it," Paul said.

Paul's decision to support "skinny repeal" but oppose Graham-Cassidy is more than a bit puzzling because Graham-Cassidy would repeal more of Obamacare than the "skinny repeal" would have.

Both bills would axe the individual mandate, the employer mandate, the medical device tax, and federal funding for Planned Parenthood. But Graham-Cassidy repeals more of Obamacare in a few ways:

1. The skinny bill provided states waivers that would give them more freedom from Obamacare's regulations, but Graham-Cassidy's waivers are much broader.

2. While both bills would defund Planned Parenthood, only the Graham-Cassidy bill would achieve the more important pro-life policy of cutting off Obamacare's funding of insurance plans that cover elective abortions.

3. The skinny bill didn't reform traditional Medicaid at all; Graham-Cassidy bill does.

4. While the skinny bill kept all of Obamacare's spending, Graham-Cassidy keeps most of the spending and sends that money back to the states in the form of block grants that must be spent on health care.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-22-2017 at 12:13 PM.

I did not realize that Rand favored fixing Obamacare- voting for two of the three replace bills. Interesting.
    This sounds like a good reason for you to leave.

Buh, bye.

Saying they're parading as conservatives is like saying Elton John and George Michael were parading as heterosexuals. If that's them then what the hell is a much more blatant and fraudulent con artist like Donald Trump doing? If in terms of political principles, they stretch the truth, then he breaks it in half. I sure wish Rand would stop being Captain Obvious on board the Trump train and actually start saying things that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray N Rothbard View Post
    Saying they're parading as conservatives is like saying Elton John and George Michael were parading as heterosexuals. If that's them then what the hell is a much more blatant and fraudulent con artist like Donald Trump doing? If in terms of political principles, they stretch the truth, then he breaks it in half. I sure wish Rand would stop being Captain Obvious on board the Trump train and actually start saying things that matter.
    Wouldn't that be nice? The overton window does not allow for this at its current position.