Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stink Bugs

Stink Bugs

I looked up at the ceiling and saw a stink bug crawling steadily criss-crossing the room. Never having seen one of these bastards indoors, I hopped on the Internet to find the proper way to deal with it. According to the internet, I simply need to flick him into a jar of soapy water. So I climb up armed with a tissue in one hand and the jar of soapy water in the other. While I was getting my supplies, the bastard had crawled into the smoke detector. I remove the cover, but he's clinging in a nook and I can't get to him. I wait. After about 2 minutes he makes his move. I grab him with the tissue. Flicking him into the jar didn't quite happen though. I dropped the tissue. The stinkbug is no longer in sight, but he's left a trail of clear liquid down the whole length of the wall. Either I'm nose deaf or this liquid doesn't stink yet. How long does it take for the scent to be noticeable? What's the best way to clean it? And if I ever see one of these bastards again, how do I get rid of it, if I'm clearly not coordinated enough to get it in a jar?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You're fooked, good and well. Stink bugs are here to stay. There's not a whole lot you can do about them. I usually just use a little 1.5 gallon shop vac indoors.

I think I need to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    I think I need to move.
    One or two will follow you in your luggage.

I looked up at the ceiling and saw a stink bug crawling steadily criss-crossing the room. Never having seen one of these bastards indoors, I hopped on the Internet to find the proper way to deal with it. According to the internet, I simply need to flick him into a jar of soapy water. So I climb up armed with a tissue in one hand and the jar of soapy water in the other. While I was getting my supplies, the bastard had crawled into the smoke detector. I remove the cover, but he's clinging in a nook and I can't get to him. I wait. After about 2 minutes he makes his move. I grab him with the tissue. Flicking him into the jar didn't quite happen though. I dropped the tissue. The stinkbug is no longer in sight, but he's left a trail of clear liquid down the whole length of the wall. Either I'm nose deaf or this liquid doesn't stink yet. How long does it take for the scent to be noticeable? What's the best way to clean it? And if I ever see one of these bastards again, how do I get rid of it, if I'm clearly not coordinated enough to get it in a jar?
    You just scared the piss out of him.

I must have 10,000 of them on my new vinyl siding.

They have been leaving yellow juice all over it.

I figure it won't be long till first frost get's rid of em.

They crawl inside your siding and then into the cracks if your walls aren't sealed. It happened to me last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

They're everywhere. I'm about half hour south of you and they get inside my house once in a while so any place you move in the vicinity will still have them.

If it's one of those brown ones, they're supposed to be some new kind of infestation from Japan over the last few years. Or so I read. They aren;t like the ones we used to accidentally eat when we were picking berries.

I think I need to move.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This must be an East Coast thing… I don't think I've even seen one of those before.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    This must be an East Coast thing… I don't think I've even seen one of those before.
    Tell her how you get rid of bugs, lil.

And then they will winter over in your eaves or attic. You can not be rid of them. The best you can do, exterior, is a 5 gallon wet vac and then throw in some diatomaceous earth or Seven Dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Tell her how you get rid of bugs, lil.
    You get back to work

You get back to work
    I'm getting ready to head out of here in a little bit.

Since this is the first one I've seen in my house; is there still hope? Can I do something to prevent an infestation? I see them all around town, but always outside, until now.

You get back to work
    I'm missing something here.

I'm missing something here.
    I'm supposed to working instead of playing with my phone.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i get like 5-10 in my place every autumn

they move so slow and creepy, like they have a plan

FIRST, i panic

SECOND, i carefully scoop it up with like, a magazine or newspaper. carefully, so i don't smoosh it. then depending whats closer, i take it outside or flush it down the toilet.

like a fool, i killed one once. THAT SMELL. oh man...never again

That's what those are? I've been lighting them up with my lighter if I see them outside. They're the ones new to America... $#@!s.

Of course they could also be Boxelder Bugs.

This is a true Stink Bug.

Of course they could also be Boxelder Bugs.

This is a true Stink Bug.
    I only know the latter. And there is really nothing you can do about them.

That's the one. I didn't know they could fly until I tried igniting them with my lighter.

Usually I don't care if some bugs are crawling around my screened patio, but if they get inside my screen they get the torch.

I just pick them up and put them back outside if I find them. I've never once smelled them.
    I think they're kind of cool looking, actually.

Those boxelder bugs, though.
    One of those was inside the other day and I totally freaked out.
    I had no idea what that thing was or what it was capable of. I thought it was going to suddenly fly onto my face or something.
    That thing had to go.

We have squash bugs too that look like that . They infest and eat the gourd vines .

I'll share a fun remedy... Air duster.

The propellant is basically freon. If you hold the can upside down (misuse) it will spray a stream of liquid freon that will freeze critters (and your skin). Just shoot a stream of air duster onto the critter and it will instantly freeze, ready for disposal.

I promise - it will be so fun, you'll be excited to find the next critter. We know that once there is a demand for something (killing stinkbugs with freon - because its so much fun) the supply inevitably goes down.

Now, off with ya.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    I'll share a fun remedy... Air duster.

The propellant is basically freon. If you hold the can upside down (misuse) it will spray a stream of liquid freon that will freeze critters (and your skin). Just shoot a stream of air duster onto the critter and it will instantly freeze, ready for disposal.

I promise - it will be so fun, you'll be excited to find the next critter. We know that once there is a demand for something (killing stinkbugs with freon - because its so much fun) the supply inevitably goes down.

Now, off with ya.
    Hair spray, too. It makes em stiff.

Might not kill it but makes catching him easier when he crawls into a tight spot.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post

Might not kill it but makes catching him easier when he crawls into a tight spot.
    That is pretty much how we have to clean up Asian Lady Bugs around here because there are so many of them .

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Hair spray, too. It makes em stiff.
    That's what I use on spiders. LOL!

Peppermint essential oil and eucalyptus oil (10 drops ea.) in a 16 ounce spray bottle filled with water and spray around windowsills and doorways help keep the bugs away.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I only know the latter. And there is really nothing you can do about them.
    They used to be all over the place here as few as 3 years ago, but something must have evolved to find them good eating, because the past 2 years I haven't seen hardly any. Maybe 1 last year, none so far this year. and 3-5 years ago, we had many dozens of them trying to find their way inside this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    They used to be all over the place here as few as 3 years ago, but something must have evolved to find them good eating, because the past 2 years I haven't seen hardly any. Maybe 1 last year, none so far this year. and 3-5 years ago, we had many dozens of them trying to find their way inside this time of year.
    Maybe a bird or bacteria? We still get a $#@!ton in this neck of the woods... I've only seen them on the rise. Of course Purdue attracts Asians of all kinds, so maybe that's why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast