Thread: California Bans Pet Shop Sales Of Non-Rescue Cats, Dogs And Rabbits

Unhappy California Bans Pet Shop Sales Of Non-Rescue Cats, Dogs And Rabbits

California has banned pet stores from selling cats, dogs and rabbits unless they work with shelters or rescue groups to supply the animals.
    Gov. Jerry Brown signed Assembly Bill 485 into law Friday, The Orange County Register reported. It takes effect in January 2019, and pet store owners who violate it will face a $500 fine.

Pet industry representatives criticized the bill as being bad for business. It “strips consumers of many pet store protections, risks hundreds of jobs, and reduces pet choice,” Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council President Mike Bober said in a joint statement with the American Kennel Club, a registry of purebred dog breeds in the U.S.
    In the statement, Sheila Goffe, the AKC’s vice president of government relations, criticized the legislation as blocking “all of California’s pet lovers from having access to professional, licensed, and ethical commercial breeders.”
    The law will not prevent breeders from selling animals directly to customers, meaning that people who want to buy an animal from a breeder still can, but they won’t be able to do it through a retail pet store.
    More than 230 cities, towns and counties across the U.S. have similar laws, but California’s is the first statewide law.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...155125645.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This fool of an $#@! seriously needs to be recalled.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

So the pet shops add $500 to the price of those little purse dogs the rich women in California carry around. They won't even notice.

Shoot me before I ever live in that stupid state.

Nevada puppy mills are a go...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

That Caly and those wonderful democrats , always looking out for small business .

While I think this is good in practice I do not believe in legislating such things. If you disagree with something that is happening, create social pressure so people will want to change their practice.

I purchased my puppy from loving breeders who are very knowledgeable and who's lives revolve around their dogs. They live from the sale of the dogs they breed but they're not a puppy mill. This kind of thing I'd like to support, people who have passion for what they are doing.. Instead of trying to change things that won't solve an existing problem.
    "I am a bird"

I'm looking forward to Calexit.

Followed by them being placed on the travel ban.

We do not have a problem with stray rabbits around here . With bloated Hawk and Coyote populations the competition for ea rabbit is fierce . Owls usually eat the stray kittens , humane society weirdos sell stray dogs for big bucks . That just leaves cats for the cat ladies and they eat songbirds so there should be a bounty on those .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    While I think this is good in practice I do not believe in legislating such things. If you disagree with something that is happening, create social pressure so people will want to change their practice.

I purchased my puppy from loving breeders who are very knowledgeable and who's lives revolve around their dogs. They live from the sale of the dogs they breed but they're not a puppy mill. This kind of thing I'd like to support, people who have passion for what they are doing.. Instead of trying to change things that won't solve an existing problem.

Wouldn't banning the sale of non rescue pets just result in an exploding stray population?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    Wouldn't banning the sale of non rescue pets just result in an exploding stray population?
    Why ?

I haven't seen a petstore here sell a puppy or kitten in over 15 years. People have plenty of places to buy a puppy or kitten directly from the breeder.. Now I don't agree with this legislation because I'm a libertarian but also because it's not going to solve the problem it's supposed to solve.

I would however think it's better if people get their puppies and kittens directly from loving breeders than from any kind of wholesale operation. These are animals that especially early in their life need a lot of love and care in order to grow up to well behaving loving pets, it's much better if they go directly from their mother to the arms of a loving owner. That's just a fact.
    "I am a bird"

My non-loyal, yet humorous sidekick cut out the middle-men and followed me home when he was a kitten.

I'm not buying a pet from the pet shop or the pound.

file photo

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    It "only" bans pet stores from selling non-rescue pets. I wonder how quickly they'll adopt a creative definition of rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    I'm looking forward to Calexit.

Followed by them being placed on the travel ban.
    LOL

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    This fool of an $#@! seriously needs to be recalled.
    LOL, yeah right.

Twenty bucks says he gets elected to another term in a landslide, since he is one of privileged few that are not subject to term limits.

Brown decided to run for another term as governor in 2010,[4] and was able to do so due to a grandfather clause in a term-limit law passed in 1990 for California state office. The law limited a governor to two terms; however, the four living governors when the law was passed (which consisted of himself, Brown's father Pat, his predecessor Ronald Reagan, and his successor George Deukmejian, who was in office when the law was enacted) remained eligible. Brown defeated Meg Whitman in 2010 to become the 39th California Governor in 2011; on October 7, 2013, he became the longest-serving governor in California history, surpassing Earl Warren. Brown was re-elected in 2014, with sixty percent of the vote. As a consequence of the 28-year gap between his second and third terms, Brown has been both the sixth-youngest California Governor, and the oldest California Governor in history.

He basically just wiped out an industry.

What's next?
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    What's next?
    Mandatory white identity cards and permits for whites to work, travel, and own property.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.