Thread: 40 years ago, Thursday October 20, 1977: Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash

40 years ago, Thursday October 20, 1977: Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash

Newspaper from McComb Mississippi, October 21 1977

A twin-engine airplane, apparently out of fuel, crashed before 7p.m. Thursday in a wooded area of Amite County near Gillsburg. Six persons including the lead singer of the rock group Lynyrd Skynyrd were killed and 20 were injured. The propeller-driven Convair 240 skidded across tree tops for about 100 yards, then slammed into a swampy area and split open about eight miles short of McComb Airport after reporting it was having fuel trouble or was running low on fuel", an Air Traffic Controller reported. The dead included lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and vocalist Cassie Gaines, Gaines sister, medical authorities said. Pilot Walter Wiley McCreary and co-pilot William John Gray, both of Dallas Texas, and Dean Kilpatrick, assistant road manager for the group, also died officials said.

More at nostalgia page http://www.tennesseeconcerts.com/planecrash.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash News Bulletin

The official news bulletin from United Press International over WMJS-FM Radio in Southern Maryland, announced by Randy Roberts, of the plane crash with members from the Lynyrd Skynyrd Rock Band, on October 20, 1977.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 10-14-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Real Coach Leonard Skinner Talks Lynyrd Skynyrd

Video is of Gary Rossington Fishing with Ronnie telling how they named Lynyrd Skynyrd. Coach Skinner talks about having a Famous Rock Band named after him.

Was there a real Curtis Loew?

The inspiration for Curtis Loew was loosely based around the characters that lived near Ronnie's home on Jacksonville's Westside. The corner store in the song is based on Claude's Midway Grocery on the corner of Plymouth and Lakeshore in Jacksonville. While there wasn't a "real" Curtis Loew, there were many Curtis Loews in the neighborhood. The actual spelling of the name came when Ed was writing the liner notes for the Second Helping album in 1974. He thought it would be funny to name this old Florida black bluesman after the Jewish Loew's Theatre.
    http://www.lynyrdskynyrdhistory.com/faq.html#p

The "country store" featured in "The Ballad of Curtis Loew."

T for Texas. Lynyrd Skynyrd does a live cover of the 1927 Jimmie Rodgers classic.

I think I still have my original cover of their "Street Survivors" album which was released shortly before. The original had flames on it- after the crash they re-released it with a black background.

Before Skynyrd, you'd pretty much never see a redneck with long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Before Skynyrd, you'd pretty much never see a redneck with long hair.
    Girly long haired types would not get a red neck from the sun.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Girly long haired types would not get a red neck from the sun.
    Come down south and tell some good old boys how girly that you think Skynyrd is.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Come down south and tell some good old boys how girly that you think Skynyrd is.
    Lived in the south before. I'm not saying somebody with long hair that resembles girls hair is actually a girl. A lot of f*gs have short hair too.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Lived in the south before. I'm not saying somebody with long hair that resembles girls hair is actually a girl. A lot of f*gs have short hair too.
    I knew a lady once , she told me gays are mostly , very well groomed and that is how she would eliminate them as potential prey .

If you're really into the band, then you'll enjoy this video. Ed King talks about how they wrote Sweet Home Alabama and Saturday Night Special. He gives an insight about how music and water mix, using the example of the Jones Beach (NY) music venue. Ronnie would go fishing and would be able to hear the band playing back on the house. He would then further compose the song.

Leslie Hawkins talks about Ronnie Van Zant's leadership and how he always had a clear picture of the songs they were composing. He never wrote down anything, but always had it in his head.

Video is about 10 minutes. Really fun to watch.

My favorite song:

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Great band... were never quite the same after the crash.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    T for Texas. Lynyrd Skynyrd does a live cover of the 1927 Jimmie Rodgers classic.

... & one for Merle....

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    If you're really into the band, then you'll enjoy this video. Ed King talks about how they wrote Sweet Home Alabama and Saturday Night Special. He gives an insight about how music and water mix, using the example of the Jones Beach (NY) music venue. Ronnie would go fishing and would be able to hear the band playing back on the house. He would then further compose the song.

Leslie Hawkins talks about Ronnie Van Zant's leadership and how he always had a clear picture of the songs they were composing. He never wrote down anything, but always had it in his head.

Video is about 10 minutes. Really fun to watch.

Interesting interview about how they wrote the music for Sweet Home Alabama.

The really interesting story is behind the lyrics for Sweet Home Alabama, and how it was a response to Neil Young's criticism of everyone in the south as "racist":

In 1972, the band, then comprised of lead vocalist Ronnie Van Zant, drummer Bob Burns, guitarists Allen Collins and Gary Rossington, bassist Leon Wilkeson, and keyboardist Billy Powell released their first self-titled album, followed by another, Second Helping, in 1974. The first track was a huge hit. Called "Sweet Home Alabama," the single reached number eight on U.S. charts—its popularity due, at least in part, to a controversy hidden in the verses.

Well, maybe hidden isn't the right word. Lynyrd Skynyrd directly name-dropped their supposed adversary, Neil Young, in the song.

"Well I heard Mister Young sing about her/ Well I heard old Neil put her down/ Well, I hope Neil Young will remember/ A Southern man don't need him around anyhow"
    Young had expressed his disappointment with racism in the South in two songs, "Southern Man" and "Alabama".

"Southern man better keep your head," went the chorus of the former. "Don't forget what your good book said/ Southern change gonna come at last/ Now your crosses are burning fast."

"Sweet Home Alabama" was allegedly a response to those words.
    Source.
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One minute vintage video. Ronnie Van Zant discusses the song Freebird while fishing:

Gregg Allman and an ensemble cover Tuesday's Gone. His expression and delivery take melancholy to a whole different level.

Man, he had a great voice.

Very, very enjoyable listening. You won't be disappointed!

RIP Ed King.

Funny excerpt from this article:

Guitarist Gary Rossington, the lone original member of the Lynyrd Skynyrd that tours today, quipped on King’s aloof, business-minded nature in the documentary. “He’d stop and buy $100 worth of Slim Jims and have him in a briefcase and, driving an hour or two, you get hungry, he’d sell them to us and triple the price,” he said.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-at-68-714847/

There's a new cable network called Circle TV. I don't have pay TV, but can still watch it because it's also over-the-air.

They've been running these two specials. One is on Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the other is the Allman Bros.

They really dig into detail like I've not seen for documentaries like these. They even detail the early years. Very enjoyable to watch.

The Allman Bros reruns Tuesday at 9:30 in my area.

Shows are from 2015, but still very enjoyable.

Here is their website schedule:

https://www.circleplus.com/schedule/?date=20200330

RIP Gary Rossington