Thread: While all focus was on NFL kneelers, no chance of US Anthem playing at Soccer World cup now

While all focus was on NFL kneelers, no chance of US Anthem playing at Soccer World cup now

This falls way short of "make America great again". US fails to qualify for World Cup and loses chance to have US anthem played with everyone standing on world stage. First time since 1980s in the most embarrassing exit in US Soccer history as US player Omar Gonzalez scores against his own team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q58sjvHmkxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNsjUTe3wvw

Who knows, may be if Mike Pence had flown to this game, teams morale could have got a little boost enough to just draw the game against the worst team in the round and qualify for WC.

Un-related

USMNT's Omar Gonzalez 'worried' about Donald Trump's presidency
    Foxsports
    Jan 19, 2017 - At a news conference, United States national team defender Omar Gonzalez didn't hold back his feelings about the new American president.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Meanwhile Iceland became the smallest country ever (based on population- 335,000- one one hundredth the size of the US) to qualify for the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Meanwhile Iceland became the smallest country ever (based on population- 335,000- one one hundredth the size of the US) to qualify for the World Cup.
    Must you add insult to injury by bringing other countries honors?

This is already humiliating enough for our national soccer standing.

I know they needed me in '88 , guess they still do .

After all the temper tantrums and accusations made against Russia for the 2016 election....it's a good thing the American soccer team is not going to Russia.

Only two nations can not play soccer: Eskimos and Americans - Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Soccer is a third world sport that symbolizes a lack of progress. Soccer is just an excuse for people to riot while they are watching a 0-0 game in overtime.

The US dominates every sport that matters: basketball, golf, baseball, and football. Soccer is the only thing I root against the US in. Doing poorly in soccer will hopefully encourage US kids to play real sports.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Especially in mid sections, comparatively our pros progress has been huge.. almost impossible to find such jiggling progress among soccer pros.

74 dead and 250 injured because fans don't like the outcome is normal.

I think I see Phil Mickelson rioting... no wait.. soccer again.

I thought your post was humor and replied likewise with a light comment. You were serious?

Then should we shun math education also because these days kids from third world countries are better than us in that field. Soccer riots is a phenomenon but it has more to do with societal issues for which any popular congregation place will become venue of expression. That is why soccer riots in UK are usually not as bad as say in Brazil or India although have not compared stats broadly to say it with confidence.

There is room for multiple sports, I don't see need to lobby for an already heavily lobbied for and coproprate profits driven "sport" with significant consussions risk, metal caged restrained heads over a relatively healthier natural sport. It's good that "soccer moms" still have bit more clout than "football moms" that allows for some natural activity for kids that can be an antidote to excessive macdonalds/fastfood/budweiser and other gut expanding first world habits.

Relational

40% of Americans Are Obese—And the Trend Isn't Slowing
    TIME Oct 13, 2017

Our daughter was in Brazil for benevolence work during the World Cup 2002 (played in Korea and Japan). She said people get up in the middle of the night and dress out just to listen to the game on the radio. If Brazil wins, people cram into the few cars in the city and drive up and down the street cheering. Brazil won the cup that year, and dd got to meet Roberto Carlos. He heard there were two American girls in the neighborhood and he came out to meet them. Seriously.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    I thought your post was humor and replied likewise with a light comment. You were serious?
    It was tongue in cheek. Though I do hate soccer and the riots and do find it unwatchable and am completely indifferent if the US does well in it.

I thought that the US don't take "football" very seriously - even calling one of their 3 "national sports" - football.

Over here in Europe, football is without any competition the most talked about sport, but in the Netherlands we can't really be proud about the performance of our national team.

In August 2017, the Netherlands tumbled down to the lowest ever place 36 (by now we’re back at spot 20, even higher than the mighty Iceland and the US)...
    In 2011, the Netherlands was placed first on the FIFA world ranking.
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty