Thread: Trump Invites "Crushing" Response After Designating Iran's Revolutionary Guard As Terrorists

Trump Invites "Crushing" Response After Designating Iran's Revolutionary Guard As Terrorists

While Trump's just announced decision to decertify the Iranian nuclear deal, giving Congress 60 days to decide whether to unwind Obama's landmark deal, was widely leaked previously even though few can point to what terms of the agreement Iran has violated, one aspect of Trump's Iran statement was unclear: whether he would designate Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp, or IRGC, the elite wing of Iran's army, a terrorist organization - a move which Iran vowed would prompt "decisive , crushing" retaliation.
    Trump did just that, and the new, sweeping sanctions on the IRGC could affect conflicts in Iraq and Syria, where Tehran and Washington both support warring parties that oppose the Islamic State militant group.
    This is what the Treasury's OFAC unit posted on its sanctions website moments ago:

Treasury Designates the IRGC under Terrorism Authority and Targets IRGC and Military Supporters under Counter-Proliferation Authority

WASHINGTON – Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) pursuant to the global terrorism Executive Order (E.O.) 13224 and consistent with the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act. OFAC designated the IRGC today for its activities in support of the IRGC-Qods Force (IRGC-QF), which was designated pursuant to E.O. 13224 on October 25, 2007, for providing support to a number of terrorist groups, including Hizballah and Hamas, as well as to the Taliban. The IRGC has provided material support to the IRGC-QF, including by providing training, personnel, and military equipment.

“The IRGC has played a central role to Iran becoming the world’s foremost state sponsor of terror. Iran’s pursuit of power comes at the cost of regional stability, and Treasury will continue using its authorities to disrupt the IRGC’s destructive activities,” said Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin. “We are designating the IRGC for providing support to the IRGC-QF, the key Iranian entity enabling Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s relentless campaign of brutal violence against his own people, as well as the lethal activities of Hizballah, Hamas, and other terrorist groups. We urge the private sector to recognize that the IRGC permeates much of the Iranian economy, and those who transact with IRGC-controlled companies do so at great risk.”

IRGC

The IRGC was designated today for the activities it undertakes to assist in, sponsor, or provide financial, material, or technological support for, or financial or other services to or in support of, the IRGC-QF. The IRGC, which is the parent organization of the IRGC-QF, was previously designated pursuant to E.O. 13382 on October 25, 2007, in connection with its support to Iran’s ballistic missile and nuclear programs, and pursuant to E.O. 13553 on June 9, 2011 and E.O. 13606 on April 23, 2012, in connection with Iran’s human rights abuses.

The IRGC has provided material support to the IRGC-QF, including by providing training, personnel, and military equipment. The IRGC has trained IRGC-QF personnel in Iran prior to their deployments to Syria, and has deployed at least hundreds of personnel from its conventional ground forces to Syria to support IRGC-QF operations. IRGC personnel in Syria have provided military assistance to the IRGC-QF, and have been assigned to IRGC-QF units on the battlefield, where they provide critical combat support, including serving as snipers and machine gunners.

Additionally, the IRGC has recruited, trained, and facilitated the travel of Afghan and Pakistani nationals to Syria, where those personnel are assigned to, and fight alongside, the IRGC-QF. The IRGC also has worked with the IRGC-QF to transfer military equipment to Syria. The IRGC used both IRGC bases and civilian airports in Iran to transfer military equipment to Iraq and Syria for the IRGC-QF.
    Now it becomes a question of what Iran (and Russia) does: as a reminder, on Monday, Iran vowed to give a "firm and crushing" response if Washington adds the IRGC to the list of terrorist organizations, which the US just did.
    "We are hopeful that the United States does not make this strategic mistake,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi stated during a news conference according to Reuters. “If they do, Iran’s reaction would be firm, decisive and crushing and the United States should bear all its consequences."

Commenting on the IRGC designation, University of Tehran analyst Seyed Mohammad Marandi said that Iran will give a similar designation to the US military.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...guard-terroris
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    see what happens when I go away for a haf a day

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    see what happens when I go away for a haf a day

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So, what are the odds Trump will drag us into two more wars to go along with the three we're already fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    So, what are the odds Trump will drag us into two more wars to go along with the three we're already fighting?
    Too high.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Odds are high up to 4, maybe 5 more wars, I'd say.

Since we haven't formally declared war in, you know, a couple years, I include economic & information warfare, as well as tried and true deniable ops.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DMCH25WUQAAbknX.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	5890
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DMCH25WUQAAbknX.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	5890

I'm sure there are Israelis who agree; I'm certain the Iranian people do too.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Russian Deputy Foreign Minister says Trump comments on Iran 'extremely troubling'

While Trump claims Iran has violated #Irandeal, remember: The IAEA has now 8 times in a row CERTIFIED iran to be IN COMPLIANCE.
    Trump lies.

Russian Market-@russian_market
    EU MOGHERINI: US PRESIDENT HAS NO POWER TO TERMINATE IRAN DEAL

News This Second- @NewsThisSecond 7m7 minutes ago
    Theresa May, Emmanuel Macron and Angela Merkel have issued a joint statement saying they "stand committed" to the Iran nuclear deal

Steve Herman-@W7VOA
    In joint statement, #France, #Germany, #UK says preservation of #JCPOA with #Iran "is in our joint national interest."

Lee Saks- @lee_Saks
    IRAN TO REMAIN COMMITTED TO NUCLEAR DEAL IF U.S. WITHDRAWS BUT OTHER PARTIES REFUSE TO FOLLOW ITS SUIT - SOURCE IN TEHRAN: IFX. #OOTT

Conflict News- @Conflicts
    BREAKING: US military says identifying new areas to work with allies to put pressure on Iranian regime - @Reuters
    (anyone standing up to US bullying is branded 'a regime' )

Reuters World@ReutersWorld 30 min.
    JUST IN: International Atomic Energy Agency says nuclear-related commitments undertaken by Iran under the deal are being implemented

Press TV-@PressTV 2 min.
    Rouhani says U.S. president ignorant of history, geography and international law

Iran's Rouhani says Trump should better read history books, international commitments, and ethics. "Apparently, he is not in the know"

Rouhani: U.S. president does not know true name of #PersianGulf yet

Rouhani: Trump’s remarks nothing but insults, fake accusations against Iranian nation

Rouhani: Americans have forgotten how they treated Iranian people in past 60 years

Rouhani: U.S. was behind coup which toppled Iran’s legitimate govt.

Rouhani says Iran will double its efforts to build weapons for deterrence and expand its missile programme

Haaretz.com-@haaretzcom 2 h
    Saudi Arabia and Israel both praise Trump's Iran speech

Ali Özkök- @A_Ozkok 23 hod.
    Paris announced Macron might visit Iran after US nuclear deal decision

Iran nuclear deal: Global powers stand by pact despite Trump threat
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-41618165