Thread: Hurricane to hit Ireland?

Hurricane to hit Ireland?

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Little Known Fact: Hurricane Debbie, which slammed Ireland in the 60s, is where we got the term "Debbie downer".

/bs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...icane-ophelia/

The US' National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has forecast that there is a 70-80 per cent chance that Ophelia will bring at least tropical storm force winds (in excess of 38mph) to the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland by the end of Wednesday with the rest of the UK affected to a lesser degree.

However, there is a less than 30 per cent chance that these winds will still be at the hurricane force levels of 74mph or greater.

Ophelia is at Cat 3

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This is interesting... There is something I don't really get however, every year in the fall we have these storms with up to 80mph winds, these are quite normal here to have a number of times a year. How is this so much different from a hurricane, is that a definition thing ? I mean, getting hit by a hurricane with 80mph winds or a normal fall-storm, what is the difference ?
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    This is interesting... There is something I don't really get however, every year in the fall we have these storms with up to 80mph winds, these are quite normal here to have a number of times a year. How is this so much different from a hurricane, is that a definition thing ? I mean, getting hit by a hurricane with 80mph winds or a normal fall-storm, what is the difference ?
    All I know is that a hurricane has to have a vortex.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    All I know is that a hurricane has to have a vortex.
    I understand there are differences, however, when places are hit by hurricanes this seems to make more of a news story than a regular storm which has equal wind speeds and precipitation rates... That's all. I guess it sounds more impressive in the news. Of course, I'm not speaking about the 130mph+ hurricanes here, but the slightly lower speeds.

Btw, I saw a waterspout a few weeks ago when I was driving home, these happen every year a bunch of times but rare to actually see them.. I made a picture of the remnant of the funnel, maybe I'll upload that later.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 10-15-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    "I am a bird"

I understand there are differences, however, when places are hit by hurricanes this seems to make more of a news story than a regular storm which has equal wind speeds and precipitation rates... That's all. I guess it sounds more impressive in the news. Of course, I'm not speaking about the 130mph+ hurricanes here, but the slightly lower speeds.
    "Hurricane" sounds much more interesting than "wind storm", and they get names.

It's all about ratings.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Did you design the oven to be hurricane proof?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Of course.
    "I am a bird"

Of course.
    Well you better hurry up and finish it then.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I have given it Big Chief Cat 5 rating . It is exempt from insurance .

Biggest hurricane in the Eastern Atlantic ever measured but has reduced to Cat 2.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/14/europe...lia/index.html

Hurricane Ophelia picked up pace as it marched toward Ireland, where it's forecast to bring strong winds and heavy rains this week.

Ophelia weakened from a Category 3 to a Category 2 hurricane early Sunday, with sustained winds of 165 kilometers per hour (105 mph).

But the storm accelerated on its way to the British Isles and was moving quickly northeast at 56 kilometers per hour (35 mph).

"Preparations to protect lives and property should be rushed to completion by this afternoon," the National Hurricane Center warned in its Sunday 5 a.m ET (10 a.m. Dublin time) advisory.

The center said Ophelia gale force winds were expected in southern Ireland by early Monday, spreading gradually north across the country during the day. Hurricane-force winds are forecast to arrive by Monday afternoon, spreading inland into Monday night.
    "The odd part about Ophelia is seeing this intensification take place in what's normally a much cooler region of the Atlantic Ocean," CNN Meteorologist Allison Chinchar said.

"Wind is going to be the biggest factor," Chinchar said of the forecast for Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland, where wind gusts could reach 130 kph (80 mph). The coasts of Portugal and Spain will see wind gusts of up to 90 kph (56 mph).

Chinchar said because the storm is racing along at more than 44 kph (28 mph), it won't have much of a chance to deluge Ireland.
    That 28 mph the storm is moving is twice as fast as the storms in the Gulf were moving.

Hurricane Ophelia hit the Irish Republic on Oct. 16, killing three, BBC reported. Schools have shut down and the storm has left homes and business without power, including some 360,000 in the Irish Republic, 18,000 in Northern Ireland and 4,000 in Wales. Winds are reportedly over 100 mph in what is considered the most severe storm to hit Ireland in 50 years.

https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...island-kills-3

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment