Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit fireman fired for bringing a watermelon to the station (includes video)

Detroit fireman fired for bringing a watermelon to the station (includes video)

DETROIT (WJBK) - Earlier this month, 41-year-old Robert Pattison went to introduce himself to his fellow firefighters at Engine 55 at Joy and Southfield in Detroit. Second Battalion Chief Shawn McCarty calls it a tradition for firefighters.

"It's not mandatory, it's voluntary," he says. "You come in bearing gifts. The usual gift is doughnuts, but you are allowed to bring whatever you want to bring in."

And Pattison, a probationary firefighter, decided to bring a watermelon wrapped in a pink ribbon. We're told some African-American firefighters were instantly offended, since 90 percent of the people who work at Engine 55 are black.

"When you get your first detail at a firehouse you pretty much know what you are getting yourself into," says Patrick Trout. "So you would have to say it was probably a bad call."

FOX 2: "Is it racially insensitive to bring a watermelon into a fire house?"

"To some people," McCarty says.

FOX 2 spoke to Pattison by phone, who claims it was not a joke - and he did not mean to offend his fellow firefighters. But he clearly did. Fire Commissioner Eric Jones says the Fenton native was officially discharged.

In a statement Jones says: "There is zero tolerance for discriminatory behavior inside the Detroit Fire Department. On Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, at Engine 55, a trial firefighter (probationary employee) engaged in unsatisfactory work behavior which was deemed offensive and racially insensitive to members of the Detroit Fire Department.

"After a thorough investigation, it was determined that the best course of action was to terminate the employment of this probationary employee."

In a world where racial tensions run high, some tell me the trial firefighter should have known better. Trout doesn't know if he meant anything by it - but feels it was a bad choice.

"For sure by far it was."

The question is did DFD take it too far?

FOX 2: "Should he have lost his job over a watermelon?"

"I don't think so," McCarty says. "Between what he did and what was there are a few things that could have been done."

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...lon-to-station
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did any of the black firefighters eat the watermelon?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

He should burn down the firehouse.

Do firefighters not like watermelon?.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    They like water.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I would have sent that rookie back out to get some fried chicken .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    OMG....I wonder if it's possible to get chicken delivered there.

And some fire water?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    UberEats.com
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    And some fire water?

Excellent idea .

Hate to break it to the snowflakes, SJWs, political-correctness Police and leftists, but all kinds of people eat and enjoy watermelon. It is possible this was an honest mistake and not a joke, as claimed by the firefighter in question.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

And some fire water?

Just don't bring Hennessy...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Just don't bring Hennessy...
    oyarde and I have been drinkin Old Grand Dad for years now.

possibly:

It's not the color of a persons skin that bothers me, it's how thin their skin has become, that bothers me.

People are being offended way too easily these days.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    possibly:

Oh man, I am literally LOL at this.

Plus reps all around

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I was a firefighter there I would say, "Good," and I would go eat the watermelon all by myself.
    Last edited by euphemia; 10-11-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Ban watermelons?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Let's all order ladder 55 some fried chicken. Say its from Rev Al Sharpton of First Ever Baptist Church Anyplace.

"some were instantly offended" "90% of the station are African American"

New guys always get hell. If it was blow instead of watermelon, "some" would give him handjobs in the engine his first day. Same old story.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 10-11-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Let's all order ladder 55 some fried chicken. Say its from Rev Al Sharpton of First Ever Baptist Church Anyplace.
    Yes yes yes yes yes!!

"some were instantly offended" "90% of the station are African American"

New guys always get hell. If it was blow instead of watermelon, "some" would give him handjobs in the engine his first day. Same old story.
    Could have a note... "Here's some chicken to go with that watermelon."

They like water.
    I've noticed that firemen love cigarettes.

A carton of Kool's probably would have been acceptable as a gift.

It's not the color of a persons skin that bothers me, it's how thin their skin has become, that bothers me.

People are being offended way too easily these days.
    It's pure insanity.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Here's the thing: stereotypes are only as funny as their risk to truth ratio (I'm making this up, but I feel like I've heard it before). If a stereotype is true, but it isn't risky to tell, nobody cares. If it is (in some sense) true AND its socially unacceptable to tell, that stereotype isn't going anywhere. If it was never risky to make an off-color joke in mixed company, because the company had learned to grow up, these stereotypes would die in a couple generations. Its the reaction that drives their popularity. When a noobie shows up to work with a watermelon in the company of African Americans, and he gets thrown out because a fraction of them were offended by an unintentional joke, that stereotype is platinum.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 10-11-2017 at 07:52 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Here's the thing: stereotypes are only as funny as their risk to truth ratio (I'm making this up, but I feel like I've heard it before). If a stereotype is true, but it isn't risky to tell, nobody cares. If it is (in some sense) true AND its socially unacceptable to tell, that stereotype isn't going anywhere. If it was never risky to make an off-color joke in mixed company, because the company had learned to grow up, these stereotypes would die in a couple generations. Its the reaction that drives their popularity. When a noobie shows up to work with a watermelon in the company of African Americans, and he gets thrown out because a fraction of them were offended by an unintentional joke, that stereotype is platinum.
    And recently we have seen a proliferation of stereotypes wrt being white and our reality.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I remember seeing a sign once , Hendlers Ice Cream , The Velvet Kind , A Pal for your Palate , Pickanniny Freeze 5 Cents . Eat seeds n' all ( watermelon flavored ) . I would try that some hot summer day .

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    What is a wrt pray tell?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    What is a wrt pray tell?
    With regard to?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    With regard to?
    oh ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast