Thread: Join Brave

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

Join Brave

https://brave.com/

Browse faster.
    Brave loads major news sites 2 to 8 times faster than Chrome and Safari on mobile. And Brave is 2 times faster than Chrome on desktop.
    Brave vs. Chrome on Android Tablet below (more data):

Brave = 16 seconds (2.7x faster)
    Chrome = 45 seconds

Brave = 12 seconds (7.2x faster)
    Chrome = 84 seconds

Brave = 5.8 seconds (4.5x faster)
    Chrome = 26 seconds

Brave = 16 seconds (2x times faster)
    Chrome = 34 seconds

Brave = 7 seconds (3.8 x faster)
    Chrome = 27 seconds

Brave = 11.3 seconds (8.7x faster)
    Chrome = 98.7 seconds
    Load time is measured by calculating the duration from the start time for the first network request, to the response time for the final request made for each domain. Tests can be reproduced using the Charles Proxy web debugging proxy application.
    Save money, as much as $23 a month.

(Data collected by ********)
    Brave saves you cash. The average mobile browser user pays as much as $23 month in data charges to download ads and trackers -- that’s $276 a year. Brave blocks ads and trackers, so you don’t pay for them.
    Even if you have an unlimited mobile data plan or browse exclusively on desktop, you end up paying because your information and time have value (see how Brave guards both below).

Ready to download...?
    Block ads and trackers.
    Brave blocks ads and trackers by default so you browse faster and safer. You can add ad blocking extensions to your existing browser, but it’s complicated and they often conflict with one another because browser companies don't test them. Worse, the leading ad blockers still allow some ads and all trackers.

In case you needed that download link...
    Save hours each year.
    Brave’s speed saves the average user hours of time each year. Brave even tracks the time you save. Users typically save about 5 seconds of load time per page on a typical cell connection by not downloading ads and trackers. Desktop users see similar savings.

Avoid infection.
    Brave blocks ads and trackers, reducing your chances of being infected by malware, ransomware and spyware. In 2016, infections increased by 132%.
    Brave even has HTTPS upgrades, which means more of your connections are encrypted, protecting your identity, browsing, payments and more.

Infections are painful but downloading is pain free...
    Protect your privacy.
    Popular sites host as many as 70 trackers. Brave blocks the software that follows you around.
    The “private” or “incognito” browsing mode that others offer is not truly private. Those tabs mostly stop other people that use your device from seeing where you’ve been. Brave’s private tab stops trackers and will soon feature "Tor in the tab," providing even deeper privacy.

Trackers on a typical large news site

Number of trackers on the same site in Brave
    Our download links are private too : - )
    Three ways to use Brave:
    Z
    Privacy by default
    Ads and trackers are blocked and your privacy is protected by default.

Contribute
    Decide if you want to donate to sites. There are two ways:
    Set up automatic micro-donations. Brave will automatically divide a monthly donation among the top sites you visit.
    And/or, you can decide which sites get what percentage of your donation. It’s called pinning.

BAT: Coming Soon
    Opt into the Basic Attention Token platform, a blockchain-based digital advertising system giving publishers a better deal and users a share of the revenue. Learn more here.
    The Brave Commitment.
    How can you trust Brave to maintain your privacy and make revenue?
    Privacy
    Brave never sees the sites you browse. If you use a search engine such as Google, then anything you type in the search bar will be recorded by Google — but not by Brave servers.
    Money
    Brave makes money by taking 5% of any donations and – after it is fully implemented – a small cut of advertising that is placed with consent. Brave even shares some revenue with you -- at least as much as we receive.
    Trust
    It's difficult to do something sneaky when you are an open source company. Anyone can audit what the Brave software code is doing.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    pcgame

I just installed Brave and it works great, but still needs a lot of room for improvement. Doesn't work with BitChute. Scrolling seems really jerky if you visit news.google.com

I also noticed another problem. Any time I click on the Brave shortcut on my desktop to load it, it never loads the application in a 100% fully maximized state.
    Last edited by pcgame; 10-11-2017 at 07:12 AM.

Been reinstalling it weekly for about 6 months.

This is what I use
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

I tried it to see what the hype was about but I uninstalled it after 30 minutes. Its a kid's browser in my view. Though, it did load web page images as placeholders so I guess that's why they claim the page itself loads faster.

The ad replacement policy is interesting. It kind of reminds me of why I never joined facebook. I remember when all of the mainstream talking heads (publishers, as it were) popularized it in synergy when it first came out. I said, nope, I'm not doing facebook I see where this is going. lol.

Anyway, one other noteworthy thing is that it left quite a bit clutter after uninstalling, too. Its unistaller isn't very thorough. Obviously poory written. I had to manually go through my file system and registry to clean up all of the junk it left behind.

It installs some other stuff along with the browser, too. Which wasn't apparent until I was cleaning up its leftover mess.

To each their own, I suppose.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 10-22-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    ETHWaterloo Hackathon: Integrating MetaMask into Brave

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.75)]by Brave | Oct 20, 2017 | Announcements

[/COLOR]
    This past weekend, a few members of our engineering team packed up and traveled to Waterloo, Ontario, to join 100 teams (over 400 developers from 32 countries) at ETHWaterloo, the world’s largest Ethereum hackathon. The 36-hour event, from October 13 to 15, was organized by a volunteer group of enthusiasts of Ethereum, the blockchain-based technology invented by Vitalik Buterin.
    Our team, comprised of Aubrey Keus, Sergey Zhukovsky, Anthony Tseng, and Kamil Jozwiak, had been selected to participate from a pool of over 1000 developers. This was the largest gathering of developers in the Ethereum community to date, and was meant to encourage the community to learn about and build decentralized applications on Ethereum.

Our CTO, Brian Bondy, had also been invited to be one of the judges (full disclosure: he did not judge our team’s submission, as they were evaluated by different judges). Our team was selected as one of the eight final winners by integrating MetaMask into the Brave browser and adding detection for DApps, making the Brave browser a first-class citizen of the blockchain ecosystem.

Having MetaMask as an extension in Brave enables users to simplify Ethereum testing and development, and allows the Brave browser to natively handle a wide range of previously deployed ĐApps. To activate MetaMask, the team implemented several missing Google Chrome extension APIs into the Brave browser in C++ and JavaScript. The team also added independent detection for ĐApps when the extension is not installed, and a one-click install prompt display when visiting ĐApps.
    “We’re proud of asking the user to install MetaMask when a ĐApp is detected because it will mean a lot more users of MetaMask,” said Aubrey. “Shipping this feature to our user base will open up a wide set of applications previously not available to our users on the Brave browser,” added Serg.
    Final submissions were evaluated by twenty-two judges, including Vitalik Buterin, Founder of Ethereum, Joey Krug, Founder of Augur, Martin Köppelmann, Founder of Gnosis, and Jeff Coleman, Founder of Ledger Labs. Judges evaluated hacks based on creativity, technical difficulty, design, and usefulness.
    Judges were split into four rooms and each room evaluated over twenty submissions. Judges picked two winning teams from each room. The Brave team was selected by Vitalik’s room and Brian Bondy was judging in a different room.
    “There were so many great submissions, it was challenging to pick just two winners. Several of the projects had usefulness in the real world beyond the hackathon itself, which speaks to the reach that Ethereum now has,” said Brian.
    The team showed a demo of the MetaMask integration to all ETHWaterloo attendees during the closing ceremony. They then added support for the extension in the Brave browser for the desktop (0.19.53), which was shipped to the entire Brave userbase the following day. In the future, the team will work on building mobile ĐApp support for our Android and iOS browsers.
    We’re grateful to the organizers of ETHWaterloo for bringing together our global community of Ethereum developers and for this opportunity to develop applications for the blockchain that are immediately applicable to users. We look forward to participating in the next episode!

Well, shoot em a line while they're up your way and let em know their uninstaller needs fixed, Lamp.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Brave is giving users a few bucks of their currency to direct to websites you frequent but block ads for. I'll make sure RPF gets a chunk.

Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬