Thread: Judge Moore goes to Washington: Private meeting with Rand, snubs McConnell

Judge Moore goes to Washington: Private meeting with Rand, snubs McConnell

Roy Moore didn’t travel to Washington on Wednesday to kiss and make up with the Republican leaders who opposed his nomination to fill the Senate seat formerly held by Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
    He came to continue the revolt.

Moore didn’t meet with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) or stop by the White House to make nice with the forces* that tried to defeat him. Instead, he huddled with Stephen K. Bannon, President Trump’s former chief strategist and one of Moore’s most outspoken advocates, and spent time in the office of a House Republican from Alabama.

While Strange’s most prominent backers promptly endorsed Moore after he won, he has shown considerably less interest in aligning with them.

There are strong hints of the company Moore plans to keep if he wins in December. On election night, he named three senators most known for taking defiant stands against GOP leaders, saying that he had spoken with each before giving his victory speech: Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Ted Cruz (R-Tex.).

Moore’s itinerary on his first trip to Washington reflected the theme, with his Wednesday evening plans expected to include Lee and Cruz, and a private meeting planned with Paul on Capitol Hill on Thursday.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...975_story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

...the judge certainly $ing$ the mo$t important republican $how tune$ in perfect harmony...apparently he's never figured out the bank$ter $ong, but he whistles a mean dixie..

https://www.roymoore.org/Positions/

"...We must remember that Israel is the United States' most important ally and partner in the Middle East and should reject agreements or policies that undermine Israel's security. We should pass the Taylor Force Act and move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem...."

I'm glad he's showing respect to Rand and Lee (not so much Cruz...), but I'll be containing my enthusiasm, for reasons already explained.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    that is very encouraging.
    I would be in McConnells office seeing what kind of snacks he has and if it is a good place to pick up office supplies .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I would be in McConnells office seeing what kind of snacks he has and if it is a good place to pick up office supplies .
    Or to laugh at him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Or to laugh at him.
    Well yeah . I would eat his snacks while I troll him.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I'm glad he's showing respect to Rand and Lee (not so much Cruz...), but I'll be containing my enthusiasm, for reasons already explained.

I predict he is similar to Steve King. Kind of theocratic, protectionist, probably not great on privacy and civil liberties but not completely terrible. He'll probably be a thorn on budget issues and raising the debt ceiling. He seems like the kind of guy who will be an outcast so he might join Rand in a lot of his doomed votes like on foreign aid. He'll probably be a wrench in the gears, who prevents anything from getting done, which isn't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I predict he is similar to Steve King. Kind of theocratic, protectionist, probably not great on privacy and civil liberties but not completely terrible. He'll probably be a thorn on budget issues and raising the debt ceiling. He seems like the kind of guy who will be an outcast so he might join Rand in a lot of his doomed votes like on foreign aid. He'll probably be a wrench in the gears, who prevents anything from getting done, which isn't so bad.
    If he consistently votes against increases in spending, that's plenty, and I'll be happy to eat crow.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    If he consistently votes against increases in spending, that's plenty, and I'll be happy to eat crow.
    I have occasionally eaten that style of crow, it was delicious.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The lawmakers who have met with him say that Moore is unlikely to be tamed. Instead he’s angling to to join the small clutch of lawmakers willing to take lonely stands on the Senate floor against McConnell, and invite torrents of blame from the establishment.

“He’s less likely to be beholden to Washington-think, the idea that we can’t do anything. I think he’ll plan on coming and trying to change things. And I think we do need change,” Paul said of Moore, whom he’s spoken with multiple times. “He agrees with me that foreign aid is not constitutional. And there are a lot of things like that where we will be able to find common ground. And he doesn’t like Graham-Cassidy,” the Senate GOP's leading Obamacare repeal proposal, which fell short last week.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/1...-senate-243507
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

...ugh...we'd be MUCH better off choosing public officials randomly rather than allowing these stinking republican and democrat puppetma$ter$ and their puppet$ to DOMINATE 'our' public offices...sadly, still too many suckers affirming these miserable puppet republicrats...ugh...how long does it take to figure out that these republicrats ARE THE PROBLEM?!..how many times must people be screwed over, lied to, etc., before they stop supporting these gd cruds?!...not an honest intelligent peep about the bank$ter$ from any of these puppet$!!...ugh..
    Last edited by H. E. Panqui; 10-06-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Alabama GOP Senate candidate says son's arrest is a 'cheap political trick'

Caleb Moore, 27, turned himself into the Etowah County Jail in Gadsden and was charged with third-degree criminal trespassing, authorities said.
    Moore was accused of hunting without permission and hunting over bait last November.
    He was released on $1,000 bond just minutes after the arrest, according to county records.
    This is reportedly the ninth time Caleb Moore has been arrested.
    He was also arrested on drug charges in 2015, but those charges were dropped after he entered a pre-trial diversion program, according to local reports.
    Roy Moore's campaign Chairman Bill Armistead called the arrest a "cheap political trick."
    "This is a cheap political trick to detract from the real issues facing our country," Armistead said in a statement Monday. "This is a personal matter involving an alleged hunting violation by Judge Moore's son Caleb over eleven months ago which has nothing to do with the campaign.”

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/alabama-go...opstories.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Mitch McConnell-Backed Super PAC Likely Sitting Out The Alabama Senate Race

A Republican super PAC backed by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has no plans thus far to support Roy Moore in Alabama’s special Senate election.
    “First of all, we hope those who helped Moore in the primary will stay focused on keeping this seat in Republican hands,” Senate Leadership Fund spokesman Chris Pack told HuffPost. “In terms of spending, we’re monitoring the race closely to see if Democrats demonstrate this is a competitive race.”

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/mitch-mcc...rc=new_fauxdal

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment