Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TMZ reporting Tom Petty 'brain dead' pulled off life support

Still have a backstage pass from seeing him in the 80's.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Still have a backstage pass from seeing him in the 80's.
    I think I'm still stoned from seeing him at the Hollywood bowl in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I think I'm still stoned from seeing him at the Hollywood bowl in the 90's.
    Hollywood Bowl is cool . I also caught the Beach Boys at the Starlight Musical Theater in Indianapolis at Butler , next best thing or maybe equal.

Tom Petty, the dynamic and iconoclastic frontman who led the band the Heartbreakers, died Monday. He was 66. Petty's death was confirmed by Tony Dimitriades, longtime manager of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, on behalf of the family.

"On behalf of the Tom Petty family, we are devastated to announce the untimely death of of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty. He suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu in the early hours of this morning and was taken to UCLA Medical Center but could not be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40 p.m. PT surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends," Dimitriades wrote.

On Sunday, Petty was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home, according to TMZ, where he was rushed to the hospital and placed on life support. EMTs were able to find a pulse when they found him, but TMZ reported that the hospital found no brain activity when he arrived. A decision was made to pull life support.

"It's shocking, crushing news," Petty's friend and Traveling Wilburys bandmate Bob Dylan tells Rolling Stone in a statement. "I thought the world of Tom. He was a great performer, full of the light, a friend, and I’ll never forget him."

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recently completed a summer tour last Monday with three nights at the Hollywood Bowl. The trek marked the band's 40th anniversary and found him playing rarely played deep cuts like their first album's opener, "Rockin' Around (With You)," and a selection of Wildflowers cuts. It was intended to be his "last trip around the country." He told Rolling Stone, though, that it wasn't his intention to quit playing. "I need something to do, or I tend to be a nuisance around the house," he said.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-at-66-w506651
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    He's been brain dead for years. Another performer who ruined music fr me by injecting himself into politics.

Bye Tom.
    When has music not been part of politics? The National Anthem? The Battle Hymn of the Republic? I wish I were in Dixie? And I don't recall you complaining about Aimee Allen's "Ron Paul" song.

Come on. This "celebrities shouldn't be involved in politics" argument is just plain crap. Nobody is complaining that WWF superstar "Kane" (Glenn Jacobs) is running for mayor of Knoxville Tennessee as a libertarian. (If you complain then you should do a cage match with Cain.) Republicans complain about liberal celebrities getting involved in politics, then heap praise on Ted Nugent for standing up for gun rights and Hank Williams Jr. for trashing Obama. If you don't like someone's politics you don't like that person's politics. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the platform you have to push what you believe whatever that happens to be. To the extent that Tom Petty was antiwar I supported his politics the same way I support the politics of the Dixie Chicks. It's funny that I keep hearing idiot teocons say "The ended their career" when the truth is that the still sell out even the larger venues in Nashville, which is the country music capital of the world. (They sold out the Bridgstone Arena which is where the Predators play. Then people bought tickets to watch the re-broadcast at theaters.)

http://www.tennessean.com/story/ente...ers/453197001/
    Last edited by jmdrake; 10-03-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

He was a prolific songwriter...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    When has music not been part of politics?

Come on. This "celebrities shouldn't be involved in politics" argument is just plain crap. ]
    First, this is a political forum. I wouldn't make the comment in GenPop. Second, celebrities have as much right to be involved as politics as anybody. But I don't emotionally or financially send aid to ISIS, and I won't financially support musicians, actors, authors, etc who openly detest every principle I believe in.

He ran his mouth, he ruined his music for me.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tom Petty’s crusade to save rock from the cynics & fat-cats
    By Seth Mandel October 3, 2017

Tom Petty was the right kind of cliché.

And oh, how it hurts to write “was.”

The classic rock icon who died Monday at 66 was the embodiment of the term. “Classic,” because he made essential music that stands the test of time, and “rock,” because while many stars say it’s all about the music, to Petty it really was. He battled the record industry time and again on behalf of fans — putting his own bottom line, and in some cases his entire career, at risk.

On the timelessness of Petty’s catalog, Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder put it best: “The first time you hear a new Tom Petty song, it sounds like a classic song,” Vedder says in Peter Bogdanovich’s epic documentary on the Heartbreakers, “Runnin’ Down a Dream.”

Indeed, the deceptive simplicity of Petty’s hits obscures just how hollow the music world would be without them. The Roger McGuinn-meets-the-Ramones melodic energy of “You Wreck Me,” “Kings Road,” “Rebels” and “Jammin’ Me” and the bluesy tease of songs like “Breakdown” quite simply had to exist.

Then there’s the niche Petty made for himself, the sweet-and-sour jangling of “American Girl,” “I Won’t Back Down” and “The Waiting.” And the genre-defying brilliance of his best song: “Don’t Come Around Here No More.”

Even albums he didn’t much like himself were great. His 1999 “Echo” was a melancholy wandering through Petty’s post-divorce psyche.

Intensely private about his personal life, Petty thinks the record rates low. But it’s strikingly beautiful and haunting at times — as in “Room at the Top,” where he croons: “I got a room at the top of the world tonight / I can see everything tonight / I got a room where everyone can have a drink and forget those things that went wrong in their life . . . I got a room at the top of the world tonight and I ain’t comin’ down.”

But while Petty’s privacy made him misjudge some of his own tunes, it gets at the core of his greatness: It was always all about the music. And fans were the big winners.

In 1978, Petty was already putting out hits, but his record label was sold to a larger company and Petty protested his band’s contract. His complaints went ignored so he and the band financed their next album by themselves and declared bankruptcy to get out of their contract. The label relented and renegotiated.

It was a win for artists, and fired up Petty to make 1979’s smash “Damn the Torpedoes!” The band never looked back.

Then in 1981, Petty found out the Heartbreakers’ next record was going to be sold for $9.98 each, a buck more than the prevailing price. The label was seeking to up its profits on Petty’s popularity, and the rest of the industry was sure to follow.

Petty wouldn’t have it. “If we don’t take a stand, one of these days records are going to be $20,” he said at the time.

Petty wouldn’t back down; the suits did. Another victory for the fans over the fat-cats.

Petty never lost that edge. In the late ’80s, he was in the studio with Roger McGuinn (of The Byrds fame). One of the songs McGuinn’s label had written for McGuinn was, in Petty’s opinion, “terrible.” Petty thought it was too “commercial,” and that McGuinn was being pressured into singing a song he didn’t write and didn’t like because the label smelled a radio single.

This, Petty told the label’s representative in the room, pointing to McGuinn, “is the man that sang ‘Turn, Turn, Turn.’ Let’s go get him a f - - - ing song.”

As usual, the label relented. The song was dropped. “The A&R guy . . . I don’t think he understood the depth of the artist he was working with,” Petty tells Bogdanovich on “Runnin’ Down a Dream.”

Most of all, Petty had an abiding suspicion of the mothlike hangers-on always flittering around the flame of a rock star. He complained of the misery such people brought into the band’s life when all they wanted to do was play music.

In 1985’s “Dogs on the Run,” he sings: “She said honey ain’t it funny how a crowd gathers around anyone living life without a net? And how they’ll beg you for the answer / But it won’t ever be enough, there’s no way you could ever tell ’em it’s just dogs on the run.”

Tom Petty was never about Tom Petty to Tom Petty. And that’s what made him indispensable.

Sadly, he’s got a room at the top of the world tonight. And he ain’t comin’ down.
    http://nypost.com/2017/10/03/tom-pet...nics-fat-cats/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Tom Petty's death was an accidental overdose, says family

Petty's family says it was an accidental overdose. He'd been touring with a fractured hip () and using fentanyl patches.

Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications.

Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip.

Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.

On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.

We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.

As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.

(more) https://www.facebook.com/tompetty/ph...495905/?type=3

Tom Petty's Cause of Death: Accidental Overdose
    Singer had been taking several pain medications, including Fentanyl and oxycodone, to treat fractured hip and other issues

After months of speculation, a medical examiner has ruled that Tom Petty died of an accidental overdose, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner. The Hall of Fame musician had taken several pain medications, including Fentanyl, oxycodone and generic Xanax. Other medications included generic Restoril (a sleep aid) and generic Celexa (which treats depression).

Read more: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...erdose-w515472
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Guess the family thought it would be beneficial to tell the truth. Otherwise, the heart attack story would have stayed official forever.

Amazing the number of different drugs they will prescribe at the same time. Wonder if he took any of those counterfeit painkillers?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12