Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump calls Puerto Ricans lazy

Trump calls Puerto Ricans lazy

I have limited internet at this moment and was checking new posts. I can't believe there is not a thread already started about Trumps tweets this past weekend. If there is please post a link to the thread.
    Thanks!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I have limited internet at this moment and was checking new posts. I can't believe there is not a thread already started about Trumps tweets this past weekend. If there is please post a link to the thread.
    Thanks!
    www.donaldtrumpforums.com

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

More like corrupt, which is factual.

Last edited by AuH20; 10-01-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    More like corrupt, which is factual.
    Actually the treatment of PR by the US has been corrupt- so the local gov may be but the people are not.
    There is no spoon.

What's important to take away is that there are 4k+ refrigerated trailers with supplies, and yet the Democrat Mayor of San Juan can't find enough CDL permitted individuals to drive those trailers. And somehow that is Trumps fault.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    What's important to take away is that there are 4k+ refrigerated trailers with supplies, and yet the Democrat Mayor of San Juan can't find enough CDL permitted individuals to drive those trailers. And somehow that is Trumps fault.
    Ridiculousness all around.
    No - No - No - No

The problem is that all towers are down, as well as electric, so few drivers have been found. There is hardly any fuel & the banks are running out of money.

The problem is also that .gov took days to get help there plus put the Jones Act on hold but only hours for Florida & Texas. Mayor Cruz has been out there helping many of the suffering and victims herself. When she cried for faster help, then Trump started with the insults.

A coordinated response is underway to bring relief to the island’s residents, but it’s been chaotic and mismanaged. Much of the island is still without power, shelter, the ability to use mobile phones, and basic supplies, particularly fuel.

One relief worker gave a particularly dire take. “We have to think of this as societal collapse: no power, no water, no food, no nothing,” the official said. “We came in thinking this would be a traditional model of disaster response. … Civil society is pretty much gone, and we didn’t realize that until like 36 or 48 hours ago. And who knows when it’s going to end.”

This is why San Juan’s mayor, Carmen Yulín Cruz, has desperately tried to draw more urgency to the crisis. “This is a ‘people are dying’ story,” she told CNN on Friday morning, adding, “not a good news story.”

“I will do what I never thought I was going to do,” Cruz said in a press conference on Friday afternoon. “I am begging, begging anyone who can hear us to save us from dying. If anybody out there is listening to us, we are dying, and you are killing us with the inefficiency.”

This was a direct rebuke to acting secretary of Homeland Security Elaine Duke’s remarks on Thursday that only a “limited number of deaths … have taken place,” and, overall, Puerto Rico was “a good news story.” As my colleague Julia Belluz explained, there’s a good chance that Duke simply has the facts wrong — and the death toll she relied on to make those comments was outdated. The most recent official figures at the time had the toll at 16, but reporters on the ground have suggested the number is now in the dozens and perhaps more than a hundred.
    There is no spoon.

Here's a little history on Mayor Cruz's experience.

The storm

Maria flooded roads, destroyed phone lines and cut the island's lifeline of goods from the mainland.

With limited communications and little help from the outside world in the first days after the hurricane, the mayors of Puerto Rico became the highest form of authority for many residents.

Cruz worked nearly nonstop on the ground — walking the capital's streets and doing what she could for those she met. In an interview with a Washington Post reporter just three days after the storm, she described what she was seeing.

"There is horror in the streets," she said at the time. "Sheer pain in people's eyes."

The city's hospitals had no power. Much of the country would not have electricity until 2018, she said. Looters were already taking over some streets after dark. The few residents who still had gasoline and drinking water were quickly running out.

Cruz had written to scores of other mayors. "There's no answer," she said.

She felt relatively helpless — able to do only so much for her exhausted neighbors and frightened constituents.

"I know we're not going to get to everybody in time," she said. All she could do was try.

She said that on her way to talk to the reporter, a man had asked her for a favor: "To tell the world we're here."

As tears filled her eyes, Cruz obliged. "If anyone can hear us," she told the reporter, "help."

By Thursday night, families were searching for water by the light of dwindling cellphone batteries and the moon. They passed through a tunnel beneath a city wall, and found at the exit a water tank left there by the city — a godsend.

And then they found their mayor.

Cruz hugged them as they came to her. She handed to each family a small solar-powered lantern — "a box of blessings," she called it.

"Now this is life," she told The Post.

Her people were resilient, she said. Residents had taken the streets back from criminal gangs.

But if the federal government did not step up its response, she feared, "people will die."
    The president

Nearly 5,000 National Guard personnel were stationed on the island before the storm, according to the White House, and the government has sent thousands more to help in the days since. But Guard personnel have struggled to get even basics such as drinking water to those in need.

A call with the White House earlier this week was encouraging, Cruz said. She told the federal government that 3,000 containers were sitting in a port, trapped behind electronic gates that would not open. Since then, more federal personnel had arrived, and the government had sent pallets of water and food.

But her city was still on the brink, Cruz said.

Cruz hands out solar lamps to residents of the San Juan neighborhood La Perla. (Dennis M. Rivera Pichardo for The Washington Post)

On Thursday, in the White House driveway, acting Homeland Security Secretary Elaine Duke defended the Trump administration's response to the storm.

"It is really a good-news story, in terms of our ability to reach people," the director said.

When Cruz heard that, she made good on her warning years earlier — that sometimes in politics "you can't play nice."

"People are dying in this country," Cruz said at a news conference on Friday. "I am begging, begging anyone that can hear us, to save us from dying. If anybody out there is listening to us, we are dying, and you are killing us with the inefficiency and the bureaucracy."

And with that, the mayor of a ruined city drew the attention and ire of the president of the United States.

"The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump," he wrote on Twitter.

The remark perplexed many experts on Puerto Rican politics.

"I don't know if Trump's comment shows an utter lack of understanding of the political situation in Puerto Rico, or if it's just a cover to rally his base," said Yarimar Bonilla, an anthropologist at Rutgers University. "It makes no sense. Politics in Puerto Rico are completely different than the mainland, with completely different parties."

Last year, Bonilla surveyed 1,000 residents of the island. Most had no affiliation with Republicans or Democrats, and many had little understanding of either party.

Cruz, who is widely expected to run for governor of the island, has some understanding.

She is not affiliated with either party but occasionally supported Democratic President Barack Obama's policies. During the 2012 election campaign, she met with Obama's campaign manager to push for health-care funding and education grants for Puerto Ricans.

But that is a far cry from being a tool of Democrats, said Amilcar Barreto, a Puerto Rican political expert at Northeastern University. "Complaining about people on the island not having food, electricity, water is not partisan. That's just basic human necessity."

On Saturday, Cruz dismissed Trump's tweets with a smile. She was dressed in combat boots and cargo pants as she oversaw the distribution of supplies from San Juan.

"The most powerful man in the world is concerned with a 5-foot-tall, 120-pound little mayor of the city of San Juan," she said.

Suddenly, many others were concerned as well.

Cruz fielded calls all day long from U.S. senators and business leaders. Reporters mobbed her for interviews.

And all day long, her criticism of the relief effort did not soften. "It's like a clogged artery," she said of the federal government's bureaucratic hurdles. "The heart has stopped beating."

Asked whether there was anything political in her barbed remarks, Cruz denied it.

"I don't have time for politics," she said. "There is a mission, and that is to save lives."

Then in the middle of an interview, the mayor got a call about a generator catching fire at San Juan hospital. She quickly mobilized her staff, barking out orders like a general.

And, within minutes, she was rushing once more out into her city.
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://ir.net/news/politics/127573/i...trumps-attack/

The Mayor of San Juan is wading through sewage, searching for people with a bullhorn while @realDonaldTrump insults her on twitter.
    Last edited by Ender; 10-01-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post

The Mayor of San Juan is wading through sewage, searching for people with a bullhorn while @realDonaldTrump insults her on twitter.
    Maybe she should be working logistics to get the overwhelming response of aid from her port to those in need? $#@! her. She's playing politics while people in need go without.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...buted-at-ports

Actually the treatment of PR by the US has been corrupt- so the local gov may be but the people are not.
    Have you been there? I've been there twice and never have I had so many scam attempts against me at various establishments. The rental car place tried to double charge me. A restaurant added a 20% tip automatically to my bill and still left the tip line blank, hoping I wouldn't notice and double tip them. A bar poured a tequila shot in a small shot glass but poured a native guy a bigger glass. There were other examples I can't think of offhand. They look at mainland gringos as marks to be taken advantage of. Most definitely corrupt, at least if you're not a Puerto Rican.
    Last edited by devil21; 10-01-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

The SJU governor mayor has decided that it is better to project her allegations first, rather than wait for the facts to come out on her government's performance later.

The corporate media will eagerly try to cement their version of this.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 10-01-2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: correction

Trump calls Puerto Ricans lazy
    Okay?

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    The PR governor has decided that it is better to project her allegations first, rather than wait for the facts to come out on her government's performance later.

The corporate media will eagerly try to cement their version of this.
    Not the Governor. San Juans Democrat mayor.

Because wading waist deep in sewage for a photo op is exactly what she needs to be doing instead of logistics to get supplies, that are in her port, to those that need it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not the Governor. San Juans Democrat mayor.
    Thank you for the correction. Quite right.

Because wading waist deep in sewage for a photo op is exactly what she needs to be doing instead of logistics to get supplies, that are in her port, to those that need it.
    So Trump tweeting that PRs are lazy is OK when he didn't stop the Jones Act for 10 days after the disaster?

She was trying to get the stuff out of the port but it was impossible and was asking for help.

And, there are plenty of shots of the Mayor out helping people.
    There is no spoon.

So Trump tweeting that PRs are lazy is OK when he didn't stop the Jones Act for 10 days after the disaster?

She was trying to get the stuff out of the port but it was impossible and was asking for help.

Bull$#@!. They are worried whether someone that can drive a truck has a CDL. It's fairly easy.

"Can you drive a truck?"
    "Yes, but I don't have a CDL."
    "You're hired."

This is nothing more than a bull$#@! PR move by her while people are suffering. You improvise, adapt and overcome. The supplies are literally in her back yard.

In Puerto Rico, Containers Full Of Goods Sit Undistributed At Ports...http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...buted-at-ports

Again:

No power, no towers- no way to know who's alive and where anyone is.

CBS News correspondent David Begnaud reported that tons of supplies have been sitting at the Puerto Rico port since Saturday, and none of it can get to the suffering people who need it so badly.

Why are the supplies just sitting there?

Begnaud explained in a video posted to his official Twitter account.

“This is unbelievable,” he said. “So we’re at the port here in San Juan, and we wanted to see where’s the food, the supplies, everything that’s needed. We got here, and here’s what we were told.

“There are more than 3,000 shipping containers sitting here at the port which are just sitting here,” he explained. “It’s got everything they need. I literally said to someone, ‘What’s on there?’ and they said, ‘Whatever you need.’ Emergency supplies, anything that a grocery store would need. But it’s just sitting here.”

“The reason why?” he asked rhetorically. “People aren’t showing up to pick it up.”

“The people who run the port say we’ve got guys in line, ready to put these on a truck, but nobody’s showing up,” he continued. “The governor of Puerto Rico say they’re having trouble reaching the truck drivers. Maybe their homes are destroyed.”

Here’s the video from Begnaud:

Puerto Rico has been absolutely obliterated by hurricanes in the past few weeks, and some are beginning to call the situation a humanitarian crisis. As the island nation is a territory of the U.S., those suffering are actually Americans and they hope President Donald Trump will use the power and resources of the country to help them.

Begnaud also reports that the U.S. is sending a “sustainment brigade” of military soldiers to aid those suffering on the island nation.
    There is no spoon.

The Jones Act means nothing when there are reports of plenty of supplies stuck on the dock.

This is propaganda for those that don't understand the supply chain and how normal things work.

Again:

No power, no towers- no way to know who's alive and where anyone is.

CBS News correspondent David Begnaud reported that tons of supplies have been sitting at the Puerto Rico port since Saturday, and none of it can get to the suffering people who need it so badly.

Why are the supplies just sitting there?

Begnaud explained in a video posted to his official Twitter account.

“This is unbelievable,” he said. “So we’re at the port here in San Juan, and we wanted to see where’s the food, the supplies, everything that’s needed. We got here, and here’s what we were told.

“There are more than 3,000 shipping containers sitting here at the port which are just sitting here,” he explained. “It’s got everything they need. I literally said to someone, ‘What’s on there?’ and they said, ‘Whatever you need.’ Emergency supplies, anything that a grocery store would need. But it’s just sitting here.”

“The reason why?” he asked rhetorically. “People aren’t showing up to pick it up.”

“The people who run the port say we’ve got guys in line, ready to put these on a truck, but nobody’s showing up,” he continued. “The governor of Puerto Rico say they’re having trouble reaching the truck drivers. Maybe their homes are destroyed.”

Here’s the video from Begnaud:

Puerto Rico has been absolutely obliterated by hurricanes in the past few weeks, and some are beginning to call the situation a humanitarian crisis. As the island nation is a territory of the U.S., those suffering are actually Americans and they hope President Donald Trump will use the power and resources of the country to help them.

Begnaud also reports that the U.S. is sending a “sustainment brigade” of military soldiers to aid those suffering on the island nation.
    Suspending the Jones Act will help how?
    Last edited by sparebulb; 10-01-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Bull$#@!. They are worried whether someone that can drive a truck has a CDL. It's fairly easy.

"Can you drive a truck?"
    "Yes, but I don't have a CDL."
    "You're hired."

This is nothing more than a bull$#@! PR move by her while people are suffering. You improvise, adapt and overcome. The supplies are literally in her back yard.

In Puerto Rico, Containers Full Of Goods Sit Undistributed At Ports...http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...buted-at-ports
    From FEMA:

FEMA chief Long acknowledged that the biggest issue in Puerto Rico was the distribution of goods, which had become a huge challenge for FEMA, and that he was "not satisfied" with the situation in Puerto Rico.

"You can only shove so much through the airports that were not operational; you can only shove so much through the shipping ports that were not operational," he told CNN.

He continued:

Once we get it to islands, we've established distribution sites and we're also doing air lifts to the remote locations. The roadway system is gone in many places. It's not possible to pick up the supplies and move it forward.

That last mile is a coordinated sequenced process to be able to get it to the points of distribution.

Many communities are coming in to these points of distribution to pick up the supplies themselves and being very resourceful in doing so, while we're also trying to push as much out as we can. As the supply chains come back online, we will be able to increase the amount of supplies that are going.

But listen, we're not going to be able to move as fast as everybody would like us, or as I would like.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Thanks!
    This is all over the news now:

Lin-Manuel Miranda says Trump is 'going straight to hell' for Puerto Rico response
    Posted on September 30, 2017 at 10:50am EDT
    http://ew.com/news/2017/09/30/lin-ma...to-rico-mayor/

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Suspending the Jones Act will help how?
    Trump just waived an obscure, 1920 shipping law that may have been crippling Puerto Rico even more.

Eliza Relman

Sep. 28, 2017, 8:37 AM 37,320

Puerto Rico was devastated by Hurricane Maria, and some experts say a 100-year-old US law has slowed its recovery.
    The law, known as the Jones Act, places heavy tariffs on foreign ships delivering goods to the US island territory.
    President Donald Trump on Thursday waived the act, the White House said.

Puerto Rico is reeling in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria — the most powerful storm to hit the island since 1928 — and the Trump administration on Thursday waived a law that many lawmakers and economic experts had said was hampering the island's recovery.

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920, known as the Jones Act, was passed after World War I in an effort to protect the US maritime industry from foreign competition by requiring that only US ships — built, staffed, and owned by Americans — carry goods between domestic ports.

That means any foreign ships delivering goods to Puerto Rico — a US territory — are subject to steep tariffs, driving up the prices of consumer goods.

President Donald Trump took action Thursday, waiving the act temporarily for Puerto Rico at the request of its governor. The White House said the waiver could take effect immediately.

Goods shipped from the US mainland to Puerto Rico — often transferred from foreign ships onto US vessels in Florida — are double the price they are in neighboring islands, including the US Virgin Islands, not subject to the Jones Act. It makes the cost of living in Puerto Rico, where the per capita income is less than half that of the poorest state in the US, significantly higher than in most American cities.

"This is a shakedown, a mob protection racket, with Puerto Rico a captive market," Nelson Denis, a former New York state assemblyman, wrote in a Monday New York Times op-ed article.

With Puerto Rico in dire straits, critics of the law have argued that the government should repeal it altogether, automatically suspend it during natural disasters, or provide far-flung places like Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico with permanent waivers.

The Trump administration recently granted temporary waivers in Texas and Florida following Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma.

"A humanitarian crisis is about to explode in Puerto Rico. But the consequences of Jones Act relief would be immediate and powerful," Denis wrote. "This is not the time to price-gouge the entire population."

Critics argue that the law also places burdensome restrictions on US businesses, which are subjected to higher costs of US shipping, and consumers. But the maritime industry — represented by powerful lobbying groups — is strongly in favor of maintaining the status quo.

"Almost every study shows that the losses to consumers are much bigger than the gains to anybody else," Tom Grennes, a professor of economics emeritus at North Carolina State University, told Business Insider.

But while the gains are concentrated in the shipping industry, the losses are spread thin — in mainland America, they amount to about $5 a US citizen each year.

Presidents including Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama have supported the law for national security reasons, arguing that US reliance on foreign shipping could be dangerous in a crisis. But the US fleet is shrinking, so Grennes says this defense of the law is increasingly irrelevant.

On Wednesday, Trump told reporters that he was "thinking about" granting Puerto Rico a Jones Act waiver. But he quickly added, "We have a lot of shippers and a lot of people who work in the shipping industry that don't want the Jones Act lifted, and we have a lot of ships out there now."

While the Jones Act is in line with Trump's "Buy American, Hire American" motto, it is also a form of regulation — which Trump has pledged to cut — and, in some cases, burdens the energy industry.

Trump has been criticized for appearing to be less attentive to Puerto Rico, which he described as "absolutely obliterated" by the storm, than to Texas and Florida following hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

The president's first public response to Hurricane Maria came in a series of tweets in which he focused on the island's weak infrastructure and economy five days after the storm hit.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/jones...17-9?r=UK&IR=T
    There is no spoon.

Where did Trump call them lazy? I've only seen him criticizing Cruz Soto, and the inability to break a Teamster's work stoppage.

Ships started arriving the day the ports opened, and have been stacked by the hundreds in the sea waiting to unload. This has nothing to do with the Jones Act.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Ships started arriving the day the ports opened, and have been stacked by the hundreds in the sea waiting to unload. This has nothing to do with the Jones Act.
    The prices do.

That's why Trump immediately waived the Jones Act for Texas & Florida.
    There is no spoon.

There were hundreds of containers filled with goods on the ground within 24 hr of opening the ports, and there are now tens of thousands of containers filled with goods on the ground, waiting, sitting idle, to be distributed. The Teamsters appear to be doing a work 'slowage' in conjunction with NY Teamster Hoffa, demanding that only CDL drivers and union members do the distribution.

I don't even like Trump, and you know that, but there is some bovine serious scatalogical propaganda going on here.

The prices do.

That's why Trump immediately waived the Jones Act for Texas & Florida.
    Nobody is charging 'prices.' Ships are dumping their cargo on the ports without issue. The supplies are already there, on the ground. The supplies WERE already there, on the ground, like, immediately.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast