Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34

Thread: Can I use Wikipedia for research?

  1. #1
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default Can I use Wikipedia for research?

    I hear stuff tossed around like "Anybody can edit articles on this specific medium of sorts" but its impossible to edit an article of sorts even if your not trying to vandalize articles of the Prime Minister of India or any other famous person...which I may have attempted for satire purposes. So I'm kind of half half here.
    Last edited by Lamp; 10-01-2017 at 05:35 PM.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2

    Default

    There was a time when we didn't let people like you run amok.

    Unfortunately, people like you are now running amok. Same crowd all the time.

    This place has went to sht quick.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 10-01-2017 at 05:30 PM.

  4. #3
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default

    There was a time when I cared about what people like you said. Then I stopped living on the dark side of interwebs and got myself hobbies and friends. Try it sometime.
    Last edited by Lamp; 10-01-2017 at 05:38 PM.

  5. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    There was a time when I cared about what people like you said. Then I stopped living on the dark side of interwebs and got myself hobbies and friends. Try it sometime.
    You know your negs don't even put a dent in me. It's an exercise in redundancy.

    You can do it all day long. I get nothing. You have no power.

    In fact, I probably get about 10 plus reps to your 1 minus rep every time I call you the wasted load that you are.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 10-01-2017 at 05:59 PM.

  6. #5
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default

    Ehh?.....


  7. #6
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default

    @Natural Citizen

    Alright little boy if you want my attention so badly I know a magical place where you can find me.


  8. #7
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default

    @DamianTV

    So would be ok or not based on the level of credibility issues your familiar with?

  9. #8

    Default

    What I would suggest is you read Wiki as a jumping off point. An overview. Just realize you might not be getting the full story, and the information will be biased. The thing to do is look at the source list and go from there. You also might want to test the source list against older references. One of the things I discovered is that after about 1965 people would just make stuff up and then their friends would quote it and somehow it became true just because they said it. If you want to learn something about research and your subject, start with Wiki as an overview, form your purpose statement, do your outline, and then find resources of substance to use for your real research.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  10. #9
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    What I would suggest is you read Wiki as a jumping off point. An overview. Just realize you might not be getting the full story, and the information will be biased. The thing to do is look at the source list and go from there. You also might want to test the source list against older references. One of the things I discovered is that after about 1965 people would just make stuff up and then their friends would quote it and somehow it became true just because they said it. If you want to learn something about research and your subject, start with Wiki as an overview, form your purpose statement, do your outline, and then find resources of substance to use for your real research.

    Aw Thanks.

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    I hear stuff tossed around like "Anybody can edit articles on this specific medium of sorts" but its impossible to edit an article of sorts even if your not trying to vandalize articles of the Prime Minister of India or any other famous person...which I may have attempted for satire purposes. So I'm kind of half half here.
    What are you researching ?

  12. #11
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    What are you researching ?
    Anthropology and Financial Accounting.

  13. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    Anthropology and Financial Accounting.
    If there is something specific about anthropology you are looking at let me know .

  14. #13

    Default

    I think it's good for brainstorming. It can be good for sources in its bibliographies, but I find MANY of those sources dubious to downright disreputable. You have to check each source. Open source, multiple authorship sites have the plus of various perspectives; however, I often find them to be sloppy with syntax, organization, continuity (flow), and grammar. The punctuation is horrible. There's this joke that "wikipedia" has a lot of material written by students, retirees, and the unemployed. If you subtract the articles written by the medical industry and interested businesses, then this seems to be the case.

    "Wikipedia" once acknowledged at a trade show that one in seven edits is vandalism. They claim they effectively combated this, partly by limiting the editing. Most of the material however, is still open to easy vandalism just by having an account. I once purposely posted bogus information to test the site. My best misinformation has been in there for over five years (I posted that one of the biggest supporters for a certain neo-con politician is a gay group). I also once posted that MI5's Roger Hollis had an "insatiable" Russian lesbian mistress. I used some ridiculous language in that one. The Hollis material stayed on the site for two years. My misinformation about a famous athlete being disqualified for dope smoking also stayed on there for two years.

    Anyway, why not use your school library? There are plenty of authoritative databases like Anthropological Literature and ABI.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 10-01-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I do think that ID should be required for certain things like carrying a concealed weapon...




    Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

  15. #14

    Default

    Another criticism of them is their anti-liberty bias, often in biographies. A biography is supposed to begin with basic and fairly neutral information about a person. They don't do this. They will almost immediately delve deep into the controversy about that person. Their attempt to discredit the person in the first few paragraphs is blatantly obvious.

    Another criticism is their obvious attempt to discredit anything alternative or from a minority point of view. They actually refuse to outline the alternative point of view, but instead attempt to ridicule it by calling it denialism, a canard, etc. For example, check their article Climate Change Denialism. They don't make a genuine attempt to present legitimate and scientific arguments countering "climate change." Instead, they will present each argument skeptical of climate change, and then refute each one of those arguments.

    The more I think about it, the more I would say the site is amateurish and just filled with nonsense. I was never a teacher or anything, but I would never accept a paper citing the source.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I do think that ID should be required for certain things like carrying a concealed weapon...




    Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

  16. #15

    Default

    Probably shouldnt use Wikipedia as a source. A lot of its pages are incorrect or super biased, like their Flat Earth page. That whole page is littered with bias suggesting the earth isn't flat
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  17. #16

    Default

    @Lamp don't use WikiMedia anything for research. - WikiWatch

    You're better off using Wolfram and Archive instead. You're wasting time with Wikipedia, because you want sources right? These help you find sources and take you to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Probably shouldnt use Wikipedia as a source. A lot of its pages are incorrect or super biased, like their Flat Earth page. That whole page is littered with bias suggesting the earth isn't flat
    They fought the Wars
    They lost.
    They turned friends
    into enemies.
    Who became
    friends of our enemies.
    They stood alone, in splendid isolation,
    And said it was their only choice.

  18. #17

    Default

    Lamp is researching how to vandalize wiki articles for satire purposes. In other words he wants to troll it. Just like he trolls here. Did you people even read his post?
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 10-02-2017 at 02:12 AM.

  19. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Did you people even read his post?
    No, did you?
    They fought the Wars
    They lost.
    They turned friends
    into enemies.
    Who became
    friends of our enemies.
    They stood alone, in splendid isolation,
    And said it was their only choice.

  20. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    @DamianTV

    So would be ok or not based on the level of credibility issues your familiar with?
    Entertain all ideas, but NEVER BLINDLY accept any without first challenging those ideas. That goes for credibility too. They establish their credibility on some facts, but those facts are presented by humans who are fallible, thus, they always need to be challenged before being accepted.
    1776 > 1984

    The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintian an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

    The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

    You are Ron Paul's Media!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

  21. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    I hear stuff tossed around like "Anybody can edit articles on this specific medium of sorts" but its impossible to edit an article of sorts even if your not trying to vandalize articles of the Prime Minister of India or any other famous person...which I may have attempted for satire purposes. So I'm kind of half half here.
    Gee, I wonder why your privileges on Wiki are restricted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    There was a time when I cared about what people like you said. Then I stopped living on the dark side of interwebs and got myself hobbies and friends. Try it sometime.
    Looks like you need to find a new hobby, if turning Wikipedia into an unfunny 'satire' site isn't working for you any more.

    Of course, you can keep trying to do that to this site...
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    'An SEP is something we can't see, or don't see, or our brain doesn't let us see, because we think that it's somebody else's problem. Thatís what SEP means. Somebody Elseís Problem. The brain just edits it out, it's like a blind spot.'
    This government is Not Somebody Else's Problem

  22. #21

    Default

    Wiki is as good as Snopes, FOX, MSNBC, etc. I think it's funny when one poster mocks another for using wiki and then the mocker cites Huffpo or something similar.

    I like wiki as a starting point. It is usually written without a lot of jargon and double talk. Then once I have an overview of the subject, I will read something more in-depth.

  23. #22
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default

    My uncyclopedia account is restricted not my Wiki account. Uncyclopedia is an actual satire website. Wiki is not (though I can't be the only one guilty of screwing around on wiki) . And its also where I edited most of the satire articles I did for fun or at least attempted to. You can actually edit uncyclopedia without the bots coming 5 seconds later.
    Last edited by Lamp; 10-02-2017 at 08:54 AM.

  24. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    My uncyclopedia account is restricted not my Wiki account.
    Oh, well, that's certainly understandable. Uncyclopedia is only interested in submissions from people who have a sense of humor.

    And as we all know, people with a sense of humor don't run around negrepping everyone they see, the way you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    'An SEP is something we can't see, or don't see, or our brain doesn't let us see, because we think that it's somebody else's problem. Thatís what SEP means. Somebody Elseís Problem. The brain just edits it out, it's like a blind spot.'
    This government is Not Somebody Else's Problem

  25. #24
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default



    Oh noes. The exposure. Its too much. Whatever will I do against the factual evidence of a robot?
    Last edited by Lamp; 10-02-2017 at 09:08 AM.

  26. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Entertain all ideas, but NEVER BLINDLY accept any without first challenging those ideas. That goes for credibility too. They establish their credibility on some facts, but those facts are presented by humans who are fallible, thus, they always need to be challenged before being accepted.

    I would always use cross-references when sourcing wiki.
    "Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace." ~ Rod Serling
    "Cops today are nothing but an armed tax collector" ~ Frank Serpico
    "To be normal, to drink Coca-Cola and eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is to be in a conspiracy against yourself."
    "People that don't want to make waves sit in stagnant waters."

  27. #26
    Temporary Ban North Korea



    Blog Entries
    2
    Posts
    2,642
    Join Date
    Nov 2016

    Default

    I generally use wiki with 5-10 other websites with articles relating to the same topic.
    Its just that Wikipedia gives more information relating to the topic and goes more into depth than most websites I found like when I was doing a WW1 research project.

  28. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    You know your negs don't even put a dent in me.
    Oh no... You see, he "doesn't care" what you say... Why would he neg you? That doesn't make sense???
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  29. #28

    Default

    I've never gotten negged by Lamp.
    I've also been intentionally grating to those of you claiming to have been negged, and haven't gotten called out.
    I think Lamp's only crime here is being too young to know how to insult people and get away with it.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

  30. #29

    Default

    When I was in school and had to cite sources for papers I had to write I just made up sources after I had written my paper for fun .

  31. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I've never gotten negged by Lamp.
    I've also been intentionally grating to those of you claiming to have been negged, and haven't gotten called out.
    I think Lamp's only crime here is being too young to know how to insult people and get away with it.
    I don't really care about negs. I can probably count on two hands how many negs I've gotten in my time here. Really, I wish I would get a few negs once in a while.

    I was just telling him that he has no rep power. Judging by his comments in his negs, it sounded like he thought he was being tough. I giggled. lol.


    And he's no young person.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 10-02-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast





Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 05:00 PM
  2. F---ing Wikipedia
    By coyote_sprit in forum National Sovereignty
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM
  3. Research Data for Dates: Please help Dr. Paul Research.
    By newbitech in forum March on Washington
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
  4. Help me max out!!--Buy Wikipedia on DVD-ROM
    By archemeedees in forum Fundraising Projects
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 09:35 AM
  5. Help me max out!!--Buy Wikipedia on DVD-ROM
    By archemeedees in forum Tea Party
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 02:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •