Thread: Some Agreeable thoughts from Hans-Hermann Hoppe & Murray Rothbard

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some Agreeable thoughts from Hans-Hermann Hoppe & Murray Rothbard

I believe he's speaking to the fact that left-libertarians are drawn to libertarianism because of their own contrarianism. Which I find to be an agreeable observation. The Molyneux thread kind of reminded me of the phenomenon and then I got a chuckle from a meme in the same thread which also got me thinking on the phenomenon.

To wit:

"Psychologically or sociologically, the attraction of non-discrimination policies to libertarians can be explained by the fact that an over-proportionally large number of libertarians are misfits or simply odd – or to use Rothbard’s description, “hedonists, libertines, immoralists, militant enemies of religion …., moochers, scamsters, and petty crooks and racketeers” – who became attracted to libertarianism because of its alleged ‘tolerance’ toward misfits and outliers, and who now want to use it as a vehicle to free themselves from all discrimination typically, in everyday life, dished out to their likes. But how do they do it “logically?” Left-libertarians, bleeding heart libertarians and humanitarian-cosmopolitan libertarians are not simply leftists. They know of the central importance of private property."

Continued - A Realistic Libertarianism - Taken from Lew Rockwell's site.

A couple of books were referenced. Both worth reading if for no other reason than encouraging substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents of all points of view. I tend to find Mises more agreeable in scope than Hoppe and Rothbard, though, again, all offer knowledgeable, substantive, points of view to one point or another.

The Irrepressible Rothbard - Murray N. Rothbard
    Democracy The God That Failed - Hans-Hermann Hoppe

I would only add that, while hedonists, libertines, immoralists, militant enemies of religion, moochers, scamsters, petty crooks and racketeers may know the importance of private poperty, hedonists, libertines, immoralists, militant enemies of religion, moochers, scamsters, petty crooks and racketeers seldom respect the central importance of private property by the mere fact that they are hedonists, libertines, immoralists, militant enemies of religion, moochers, scamsters, petty crooks and racketeers.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 10-01-2017 at 08:43 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.