Thread: Traffic Tickets

Traffic Tickets

All,

Just wanted to share some life experience. I made the horrible mistake of "exercising my rights" and partaking in the JustUs system. With that said, I pay for group legal as a benefit at my workplace (around $200 a year for some services of varying utility). I figured eh, why not. Well, for those wondering, below is why (original email first and reply above):

Lol. So a $30 pre-payable offense quadrupled to $125? That would've been nice legal advice and disclosure to have. But I guess that doesn't bring in the billable hours.

This talk of driving points drives me crazy. What a farce. Insurance companies give jack all what your Virginia point balance is. And who racks up -12 points (3 bad tickets) in one year to be on DMV probation? I've been driving 8 years and have 4 tickets. Doing what every single other person in NoVA does every day. Driving 15-20 over. Crazy, right? God help us that our highways aren't molten steel.

"Insurance points are different than license points that your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) puts on your driving record for various traffic offenses. An insurance company's point system and the DMV points system may match up but in general they do not."

But, that's fine. I'd expect nothing less from the Just Us system. I'll add it to the government extortion category in my Quicken.

No further assistance is needed, consider [further extortion] prepaid and resolved.

On [Recent Date], [Opportunistic Lawyer] wrote:
    > Dear [unfortunate cash cow],
    >
    > I was able to get your traffic ticket resolved on [recent date]. As we discussed before, the officer cut you a break when he gave you failure to obey a highway sign ticket when you were exceeding the speed limit. Fortunately for you on top of that, he charged you under the county code instead of the VA Code which saved you points. I asked for a reduction to defective equipment because it looks better than failure to obey a highway sign, but because of your previous driving record and the fact the officer was so generous with you, that was not possible.
    >
    > So, the good news is you still do not have any points that will be assessed to your driving record and I was able to get your fine reduced from $500 to $125 plus $67 in costs.
    >
    > You must pay $192.00 in fine plus costs no later than October 20, 2017 to avoid license suspension for failure to pay costs. Please go to courts.state.va.us and click on General District Court and go to [XXX] General District Court to make your payment on line. You can also mail in payment or go in person.
    >
    > I am hoping that this infraction does not show up on your record so that I can deal with the October ticket in a similar fashion. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    >
    > Thanks for allowing me to assist you!
    >
    So, I really just wanted to put this experience out there since whenever you google these infractions you get complete horse$#@!. The only thing the government is good at is stealing your money. They've done an excellent job at making sure there are no loopholes. "Oh, but they may not have their speedgun calibrated the last 6 months with the certificate". No. "The officer may not show". Literally, doesn't matter. The State will adjourn for a later date, and these cops are coming to court all the time for this crap.

The only real philosophical value I can add is that it's $#@!ing crazy that they charge a $67 court fee. Hilarious, "the fine is just $30". No it's not motherfucker, it's $#@!ing $97 and you know it, you're an intellectually dishonest piece of $#@! who knows he should feel like a piece of $#@!. That's why you literally lie to me and to yourself. But no, the actual real philosophy is that it's really interesting how we pay taxes for these public services, you know, roads, cops, courts ... yet somehow, here we are paying when the courts are used. Asinine.

Oh - and to drive the lesser points home: your lawyer is not your friend. They have a vested interest in getting billable hours out of you and in my case cost me an extra $90, essentially the sum of the next ticket I'll have to pay.
    -Even if you're covered under group legal you still won't be able to use a jury trial (because they'll only cover the attorney rate, not any filing costs, witness fees, etc .. read my plan myself). The lawyer mentioned it's $500-$1000 a day for a jury, that you pay if you lose.

I also found it funny how I had to send a follow up email to get that email, but she didn't reply to the latest in the thread (my followup) .. she replied to her last email, of course to give the notion she was 'on top of things' and give me that warm fuzzy feeling. So dishonest.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes it is easiest and cheapest not to get them and then easiest and cheapest to pay if you do .

"Welcome to Virginia! You WILL get a traffic ticket. Enjoy your Stay!" <----Actual welcome sign.

Oddly enough, in my state the speed limit is a rebuttable presumption based on the posted speed. I have been pulled over for 15 over on a straight stretch with no intersections or other traffic, and the officer was more concerned about the selt belt after I splained that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Prepaying for legal services as an individual is another waste of money. It may make sense if you are a business and may face costly lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Prepaying for legal services as an individual is another waste of money. It may make sense if you are a business and may face costly lawsuits.
    That's what I said until I got another angle. There is a real RPF member here who has a $1500 retainer with a local lawyer. He carries that lawyer's business card in the event the RPF member gets into a scrape. The $1500 is refundable.

I don't care much for insurance. I think it exploits people's fears. I don't care for most things billed as "pre-paid legal." This RPF member defined his retainer as pre-paid legal. He thinks it's a good idea. He can chime in if he likes.

I know you are performing your usual contrariness (which led to your red bars), but what is the basis of your statement? Please give your genuine experiences and thoughts. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I think pre paid legal is OK if it applies to your bill and a one time fee . I mean if you have to shoot someone you will be glad . I am personally too tight . Many in my family also pre paid funeral expenses . Chances are , you will die .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I think pre paid legal is OK if it applies to your bill and a one time fee . I mean if you have to shoot someone you will be glad . I am personally too tight . Many in my family also pre paid funeral expenses . Chances are , you will die .
    Doing pre-paid is placing a bet you will need a lawyer. If you think that will happen in the next five years, at $200 a year, you are betting that your lawyer will cost you more than $1,000 (and you assume whatever you need him for is covered by the plan). I don't like the idea of getting extended warranties either. Most product defects will usually show up during the standard warranty period. Places like Best Buy like to sell them because they know you are not likely to need them so it is free extra money for them.

In general, don't insure things you can probably pay for normally. Insure what you would not be able to afford.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-27-2017 at 04:06 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I always contest my tickets myself. I never end up winning because almost all cases are you vs. the cop and the cop is always believed over you. BUT I take a little glee in forcing them to drive up costs well over what they'll make back on my ticket. The system is so stupid and easily played that they'll spend $500-$1000 (afte rhearing, trial, appeal, and re-trial) to collect my measly $200.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    That's what I said until I got another angle. There is a real RPF member here who has a $1500 retainer with a local lawyer. He carries that lawyer's business card in the event the RPF member gets into a scrape. The $1500 is refundable.

I don't care much for insurance. I think it exploits people's fears. I don't care for most things billed as "pre-paid legal." This RPF member defined his retainer as pre-paid legal. He thinks it's a good idea. He can chime in if he likes.

I know you are performing your usual contrariness (which led to your red bars), but what is the basis of your statement? Please give your genuine experiences and thoughts. Thanks.
    Sure, I'll chime in. I have a $1500 retainer. That $1500 retainer I have is for jailable offences (and bail bonding) or if I need some simple legal advise. It also puts my lawyer "on call." Ever try getting a hold of lawyer at 1 am? It also gives me a nifty business card that I can give to a law dog and exercise my 5th and 6th amendment rights to council before questioning.
    I don't do this for simple traffic tickets though. If it comes to a traffic ticket I usually go to the D.A., plead it down, not to hard with my record, and pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Doing pre-paid is placing a bet you will need a lawyer. If you think that will happen in the next five years, at $200 a year, you are betting that your lawyer will cost you more than $1,000 (and you assume whatever you need him for is covered by the plan). I don't like the idea of getting extended warranties either. Most product defects will usually show up during the standard warranty period. Places like Best Buy like to sell them because they know you are not likely to need them so it is free extra money for them.

In general, don't insure things you can probably pay for normally. Insure what you would not be able to afford.
    Yeah I never buy extended warranties , but a buddy of mine did on an expensive auto stereo . He has used it twice so it probably worked out for him .

I just contest tickets myself if I am not guilty . Judges really do not want me to be guilty because I am so charming .

Eh, Zippy's got the right idea. It usually doesn't make sense to insure things that you can pay for yourself (companies gotta make money somewhere). Unfortunately, the law is becoming less and less about protecting individual's rights, and more of just turning everyone into criminals to be manipulated by the state.

It's more like healthcare where you could bet with good certainty you won't get a million dollar cancer and save a few bucks. But you live a good life and can afford insurance - if you lose the bet, you lose everything. I got charged with underage possession of alcohol a month away from 21 (go figure - I was the only freshman in my dorm who didn't drink, dropped after a year). That lawyer cost $1500. Countless ways you're facing 12 months, $2500, criminal record.
    -The Best Buy analogy doesn't hold full water because they're selling you a quality product that is means tested to beat the warranty. The JustUs system is designed to screw you over.

With that said, the $200 doesn't cover felonies. It does other stuff like offer advice on uncovered matters (ie open carry), other qualified services like a rent contract review, wills, prenups I think, those kinds of things. Is it worth it? Not sure anymore. Traffic tickets were a tipping factor (because you can practically guarantee those every 1-2 years), but I see now the service is capable of quadrupling those fines .