Thread: Trump Vs The NFL - The Right To Protest

Trump Vs The NFL - The Right To Protest

President Trump has waded into the NFL controversy by suggesting that the football players who do not stand for the US national anthem should be fired. Is this an issue of First Amendment versus patriotism? Or there is something else...?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ron Paul just said "No", not a first amendment issue on the Alex Jones show also

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Boycott them! Hit them in the pocketbook. The players listen to their owners.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Very good discussion on the topic. Thanks for the share. I hadn't seen that one yet.

One thing I would ask as an aside is what makes people think they have a right to have their feelings addressed anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yep. This.

I owe you one, donnay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Some points from the video:

- primarily private property rights are applicable.
    - highlights the government money given to the NFL for recruitment and propaganda.
    - skeptical of the "social justice" agenda of Kaepernick and BLM. Kaepernick is no MLK or Cassius Clay.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

What was it that Donald Trump said in 2013 about Presidents telling NFL owners what to do.... Oh yeah!

“President should not be telling the Washington Redskins to change their name-our country has far bigger problems! FOCUS on them,not nonsense.”
    Sounds like he should take his own advice. The country has far bigger problems. In fact, there is no problem with NFL players kneeling in any way whatsoever. Yet here is Trump getting involved. And why? Because he knows all the idiots will fight over that instead of paying attention to the real problems:

Such as Trump boosting military spending by $500 BILLION to a total of $1,000,000,000,000 (that is TRILLION for those who don't want to count zeroes)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/u...l.html?mcubz=0

40,000 civilians were murdered in Iraq by US military forces
    http://original.antiwar.com/updates/...s-much-higher/

The Republicans fail AGAIN to repeal Obamacare
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politi...tus/index.html

The US government has just announced an unlimited spying program on all legal immigrants, even naturalized citizens.

The Department of Homeland Security, therefore, is updating the “Department of Homeland Security/U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Customs and Border Protection-001 Alien File, Index, and National File Tracking System of Records notice to:

[...]

(5) expand the categories of records to include the following: country of nationality; country of residence; the USCIS Online Account Number; social media handles, aliases, associated identifiable information, and search results; and the Department of Justice (DOJ), Executive Office for Immigration Review and Board of Immigration Appeals proceedings information

[...]

(11) update record source categories to include publicly available information obtained from the internet, public records, public institutions, interviewees, commercial data providers, and information obtained and disclosed pursuant to information sharing agreements;

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...tem-of-records
    Which of course should worry everyone. Not just because it is a further expansion of the police state and what is done to them will eventually be done even moreso to you, but collecting this kind of information would also have a dramatic impact on every single person that interacts with immigrants to the US, since it would seemingly make all of their conversations on social media subject to surveillance. Meaning this is essentially a notice that they will be spying on you too.

Trumps threats to start what could be a nuclear war!

And I could keep going. But it is obvious that all of this is partisan hack propaganda to get the idiot masses focused on the circuses while the center continues to unravel. How is it so many of you don't even know when you're getting played like a fiddle?

I honestly thought this whole thing would be over and done with by the time the season starts up again in 2018. But after Trumps comments, I can't help but feel this is going to continue for the next 8 years.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can't have bread and circus shows without a display of 'patriotism.'

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Yet here is Trump getting involved. And why?
    To further solidify his base behind him.

I thought that was kind of obvious.

[Blah bla-bla the federal government might start spying on some people.] Which of course should worry everyone.
    Some of us are long past "worrying." I mean it's cute and all that you do. Eek! The Feds might start spying on people?! Say it ain't so! Perhaps you should join the ACLU or stage a hunger strike.

But some of us, as I say, stopped "worrying" and "having some Constitutional concerns with xyz measure" long ago.

Some of us actually want to save our country and save civilization. To really do so, in an practical, actual, workable way. Some of us want to do what it takes to achieve that goal. Because you're right: there are bigger problems. Some of us have thought beyond your examples of alleged "bigger problems" and asked ourselves: "what are the even bigger problems which are intractably and unstoppably causing those problems?"

But good luck with the hunger strike!

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    But I already do so I can't help additionally in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post

Some of us are long past "worrying." I mean it's cute and all that you do. Eek! The Feds might start spying on people?! Say it ain't so! Perhaps you should join the ACLU or stage a hunger strike.

But some of us, as I say, stopped "worrying" and "having some Constitutional concerns with xyz measure" long ago.

Some of us actually want to save our country and save civilization. To really do so, in an practical, actual, workable way. Some of us want to do what it takes to achieve that goal. Because you're right: there are bigger problems. Some of us have thought beyond your examples of alleged "bigger problems" and asked ourselves: "what are the even bigger problems which are intractably and unstoppably causing those problems?"

But why did the Steelers, of all people, protest against Trump? Isn't that his base?

Brilliant! NFL Hunger Strike! 122 lb. offensive tackles! 79 lb. running backs!

My takes on this foolishness:

1. They stand for 'God Save the Queen', yet Kneel for the 'Star-Spangled Banner'. Utter bollocks on the part of all of them! Damned Tory jackasses. GTFO!

2. I think the debate should center on why sporting events are even playing patriotic songs along with color guard and military presence in the first place.

3. I also think very serious issues should be raised with tax funds being used to fund/promote professional sports, college football teams, and advertising such as they do with NASCAR.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Dr. Paul makes some very good points, ine being that while some deeply deeply principled people have protested something in the past, people bore the consequences of their own behavior.

Today's protests do not seem to be principled, and, in fact, are rather hypocritical. The NFL took a lot of my hard earned money to do the opposite of what was done in Sunday. They can start by paying back the money. If the police are the issue, then the league can hire their own private security. If injustice is the issue, the NFL can stop beating on their women and killing their pregnant girlfriends. Seems to be a problem in the league, and I can't think of anything less just than that.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    But why did the Steelers, of all people, protest against Trump? Isn't that his base?
    I haven't really kept up with this story, only learned about it because on a computer I was setting up it was the top story of the default homepage -- huge story, taking up the whole page, and not a snippet as normal, but the whole thing to read right there without clicking, so clearly this is an unusually large news story that was killing it on the hit metrics and will be top item for days and days. Anyway, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they were actually protesting Trump, right? They, and the rest of the players on all the various teams, were protesting Bad Things That Happen to Black People. All the Bad Stuff that poor, long-suffering, righteous Black People have to go through in this evil, ugly, RAYCYST nation of ours. Trump is just one of their many Crosses to bear.

Anyway, to answer your second question, let me ask you a question: do they make more than $200,000 a year? Hmm? Oh, they do? Yeah, then they are definitely not Trump's base. There were, you may already know, only about 5 people who make more than $200,000 a year in the entire country who voted for Trump last November. No names from the Pittsburgh Steelers roster appeared on that list of 5.

The country is working great for the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's working great for Mitt Romney. It's working great for George Soros, and many, many others. There are millions of people doing well and prospering under the current system. It's going to give you a heart attack, I know, but these people did not vote for our friend Mr. Trump! They see themselves in the cockpit of Flight 93. They're large and in charge. The plane's on the right track, for them. Stay the course. Steady on. Bank account's up 10 points yet another year.

Everybody who isn't quiiite as well outfitted with mansion, pool, and whores? They, unanesthetized by such revelries, are able to see some major problems with the country. So these people hired a wrecking ball with the name of Mr. Donald J. Trump in a last-ditch effort to crash the plane and save the country.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Brilliant! NFL Hunger Strike! 122 lb. offensive tackles! 79 lb. running backs!
    It would sure cut down on concussions and brain damage.

It would sure cut down on concussions and brain damage.
    The brain damage within the NFL appears to be already widespread...

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Here's the thing: The Constitution gives *individuals* the right to peaceful assembly. There are no rights for sports teams. The NFL has taken a lot of money to promote the miltary, and I feel like it is disengenuous for the NFL to use their platform as a means of protesting whatever it is they are protesting.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Perfect.

Yes, but this is entertainment. Aren't the Steelers supposed to pander to their home town fans? i.e The torch bearers for the forgotten rust belt? A bigger-than-life cartoon?
    Last edited by anaconda; 09-28-2017 at 12:42 AM.