Thread: Iraq says it wants world’s help to build nuclear reactor

Iraq says it wants world’s help to build nuclear reactor

Iraq’s foreign minister asked nuclear countries for help building a nuclear reactor Saturday, over 35 years after Israeli jets destroyed the country’s first attempt to build a nuclear program. Ibrahim al-Jaafari made the request in his speech Saturday to the UN General Assembly’s annual meeting of presidents, prime ministers and monarchs. He called for assistance “to build a nuclear reactor for peaceful purposes in Iraq, to acquire this nuclear technology.”

Al-Jaafari cited the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty’s provisions allowing countries to pursue peaceful nuclear energy projects. Iraq ratified the treaty in 1969.
    Non-nuclear nations that signed it agreed to not pursue atomic weapons. In exchange, the five original nuclear powers — the US, Russia, Britain, France and China — promised to move toward nuclear disarmament and to guarantee non-nuclear states access to peaceful nuclear technology for producing power.
    It wasn’t immediately clear how other nations would greet the request from oil-rich Iraq, which is emerging from a bloody, chaotic period after Islamic State extremists seized swaths of the country in 2014.

More at: https://www.timesofisrael.com/iraq-s...clear-reactor/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bull$#@!. They don't need a reactor. All they would need a reactor for is to get more money, weapons and troops, to defend it.

Nuclear reactors overall cost more money to run than most other sources of power when everything including dealing with the waste is taken into account. It's not 'too cheap to meter'.

Why the $#@! do they want a nuclear reactor ? THEY HAVE PLENTY OF $#@!ING OIL.

//If on the other hand they want to build a small nuclear reactor, such as the one we have here, about 20miles from where I live, producing medical isotopes, then I'd very much welcome them to build such a thing. Ours needs replacing and so far they've kept it open because they have to produce these isotopes. .

The high flux reactor in Petten has been in use since 1961.......
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petten_nuclear_reactor
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 09-26-2017 at 01:04 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Bull$#@!. They don't need a reactor. All they would need a reactor for is to get more money, weapons and troops, to defend it.

Nuclear reactors overall cost more money to run than most other sources of power when everything including dealing with the waste is taken into account. It's not 'too cheap to meter'.

Why the $#@! do they want a nuclear reactor ? THEY HAVE PLENTY OF $#@!ING OIL.

//If on the other hand they want to build a small nuclear reactor, such as the one we have here, about 20miles from where I live, producing medical isotopes, then I'd very much welcome them to build such a thing. Ours needs replacing. .
    They must want Nukes, let's bomb them into the stone age
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They must want Nukes, let's bomb them into the stone age
    Don't think they want that either, well sure if you give them nukes they'll take them... But no, just having a nuclear power-plant would mean that the international community would do everything to make sure it does not fall into the wrong hands because of the potential for dirty bombs and things like that.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Iraq’s foreign minister asked nuclear countries for help building a nuclear reactor Saturday, over 35 years after Israeli jets destroyed the country’s first attempt to build a nuclear program.
    Where's the exit?

Let's kill the bastards. Again.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Why the $#@! do they want a nuclear reactor ?
    imo it is clearly a geo-political chess move... and a very clever one.
    They could just declare the intention (and have Rosatom build it)
    instead
    They put it out for bid (w/ France a likely candidate to construct)

The 'world' sees it as open and transparent
    rather than Russia!Russia!Russia!
    pre-emptively thwarting the Atlanticists (and Israel) obvious/expected attempts to demonize it.
    Smart thinking imo.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 09-26-2017 at 02:04 PM.