Thread: A simple plan showing how the Feudal System works.

A simple plan showing how the Feudal System works.

The King: Leader of the Feudal System

Barons: Executors of the Feudal System

Knights: Knights were given land by a Baron in return for military service when demanded by the King. They also had to protect the Baron and his family, as well as the Manor, from attack. The Knights kept as much of the land as they wished for their own personal use and distributed the rest to villeins (serfs). Although not as rich as the Barons, Knights were quite wealthy.

Villeins: Villeins, sometimes known as serfs, were given land by Knights. They had to provide the Knight with free labour, food and service whenever it was demanded. Villeins had no rights. They were not allowed to leave the Manor and had to ask their Lord’s permission before they could marry. Villeins were poor.

Is that about right?
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-24-2017 at 07:00 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Is that about right?
    Nope. The king had fear of God.

There were many unimportant variations but that is basically right.

However you left out Squires who were basically poorer Knights with less equipment that were given land or money by the Knights, and Gentlemen who were given land by squires and had rights and perhaps serfs under them.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    There were many unimportant variations but that is basically right.

However you left out Squires who were basically poorer Knights with less equipment that were given land or money by the Knights, and Gentlemen who were given land by squires and had rights and perhaps serfs under them.
    That's right. I forgot about them.

I got that infographic from a National Geographic piece, I think. So, yeah. Servants. Good thinking.

Now that I think about it, my ancestor, the first of my namesake to come here, came over on The Charles in 1621 and landed in Virginia where he became part of what would eventully be the Virginia settlement colony. He was actually a servant who ended up becoming a land owner after the Man who paid his way in acres sold him land. And we've basically been there ever since, having grown up in Washington Co, Va, myself.

Anyway. I'm rambling. Sorry. But it seems like feudalism has existed in other ways and branched out beyond that direct graphic. Hm. I haven't really studied feudalism as an application in the time line of history as much as I'd like to have. I know what it is, but not really how it trickled down and faded during the exploration years toward early pre-America.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-25-2017 at 04:55 AM.