Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 501

Thread: The problem with the NFL protestors

  1. #61

    Default

    over-politicized BS.

    Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That's what the government sanctioned monopoly of the NFL has been doing, for years.
    Oh yeah! Without a doubt! That is what I find offensive!

    I couldn't care less whether or not some athletes pay proper homage to a piece of fabric. I'm also not offended if a statue stays up or comes down - unless it's on my property.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  4. #63

    Default

    But don't you all see how these demonstrations are making it harder for the rest of us to live our lives? We already have too many laws on the books having to do with race. The government-sanctioned media is obsessed with anything that can cause controversy and division.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  5. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    For taking a knee? Show me a prominent liberal and not some nobody on the internet claiming to be liberal who wanted him to be fired solely for taking a knee? And I say prominent person because you can always find a person on the internet who believes anything.

    This is an article written in 2011 about Teabow taking a knee and you can see that people(twitter and comment sections aside) aren't calling for him to lose his job for taking a knee.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/sp...l.html?mcubz=3
    I don’t even watch football. I have NEVER watched football, and I only know the phrase “excessive celebration” because it entered my vocabulary from people saying that Tebow should be fired for it.

    The last time I watched an NFL game, was like 1999 or 2000 when the Church I attended decided to host a Super Bowl watching party. I didn’t even know there WAS such a thing as “excessive celebration” until people were using it as a reason Tebow should be fired.

    Not being a football watcher in any way shape or form, I wouldn’t even know where to look for such a thing. It wasn’t ESPN or whatever calling for him to be fired, so searching ESPN is not where it’s at. It was the people. Liberal douchebag snowflakes offended at his display.

    Personally, I couldn’t possibly care less about the NFL or Tebow — I was taught that praying to make a show is what the Pharisees do to heap on the praises of men. I’m not defending Tebow.

    The point is that you would have a hard time finding someone who cares LESS about NFL football than I do, and the whole entire reason I even know that “excessive celebration” is even a thing, is I heard people talking about it in reference to why Tebow should be fired.

    You may not remember it, but I sure do.

  6. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I do find it funny that so many on the "right" are quick to point out "snowflakes" who get offended by the silliest things are now offended by perhaps the silliest thing possible: some irrelevant athletes NOT standing up and praising their flag.
    Actually the players kneeling doesn't bother me it's the fact that the commentators talk about it that irritates me. And the subtle message is "vote for the democrat next time". I can't stand Trump but I don't need to hear him getting bashed when I'm watching football.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm over here thinking, "offend" me all you want... just don't steal my $#@!.
    That's the other part the bothers me. As I said before the protestors are in favor of increasing legalized theft.

  7. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I don’t even watch football. I have NEVER watched football, and I only know the phrase “excessive celebration” because it entered my vocabulary from people saying that Tebow should be fired for it.

    The last time I watched an NFL game, was like 1999 or 2000 when the Church I attended decided to host a Super Bowl watching party. I didn’t even know there WAS such a thing as “excessive celebration” until people were using it as a reason Tebow should be fired.

    Not being a football watcher in any way shape or form, I wouldn’t even know where to look for such a thing. It wasn’t ESPN or whatever calling for him to be fired, so searching ESPN is not where it’s at. It was the people. Liberal douchebag snowflakes offended at his display.

    Personally, I couldn’t possibly care less about the NFL or Tebow — I was taught that praying to make a show is what the Pharisees do to heap on the praises of men. I’m not defending Tebow.

    The point is that you would have a hard time finding someone who cares LESS about NFL football than I do, and the whole entire reason I even know that “excessive celebration” is even a thing, is I heard people talking about it in reference to why Tebow should be fired.

    You may not remember it, but I sure do.
    For reference, this is an example of excessive celebration.

    The NFL allows a toned down version of the same to modify 'murikans diet of bloodsports with a social/political intent.

    "Even an establishment Republican like Jerry Moran is far more libertarian you are." Traditional Conservative

    "You're a far more horrible person than she (Bristol Palin) will ever be." angelatc

  8. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    But don't you all see how these demonstrations are making it harder for the rest of us to live our lives? We already have too many laws on the books having to do with race. The government-sanctioned media is obsessed with anything that can cause controversy and division.
    I agree. The problem is that political correctness is forced at gunpoint mainly in the form of discrimination laws. How many billions of dollars are wasted on this every year? I know at my company we have "sensitivity" training every year. Businesses are scared of lawsuits and it's just another tax on them. It comes out of your paycheck.

  9. #68

    Default

    Sensitivity training is so one dimensional. Real life history lessons teach far more and allow and individual to really think and process what other people experienced.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  10. #69

    Default

    So I'm guessing these NFL players are going to continue taking a knee throughout Trumps entire presidency?
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 09-25-2017 at 11:07 AM.

  11. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Actually the players kneeling doesn't bother me it's the fact that the commentators talk about it that irritates me. And the subtle message is "vote for the democrat next time". I can't stand Trump but I don't need to hear him getting bashed when I'm watching football.



    That's the other part the bothers me. As I said before the protestors are in favor of increasing legalized theft.
    The other problem with this debate is that most ppl who are talking about this dont even watch or care for football.

    Just so u ppl know, the kneeling started with Obama. Trump only made it a presidential issue by opening his big stinking mouth. This was never about the president. Kapernick even said that he did not vote for Clinton.
    Last edited by juleswin; 09-25-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

  12. #71

    Default

    Trump IS a uniter! He actually got the NFL to unite behind an issue. He might even help Kapernick get his job back.

    This is typical Trump- if you are losing or getting bad press in one major area- distract with a red meat issue to feed the base. in this case, to distract from the impending failure to do anything about Obamacare, he distracts by attacking athletes protesting the police state and tells businesses how they should treat their employees.

    And it is drawing more attention to the protests (which most people had been ignoring up to now).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-25-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    "The only thing we have to fear is.... fear itself!" Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
    "Be afwaid. Be berry afwaid" Donald Trump.

    The optimists built this country and made it great- not the fearful. Fear can only destroy.

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  13. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Tomorrow I plan to write the FOP and suggest they come down with blue flu next home game...
    I'm having a hard time following.

    - You oppose athletes kneeling during the pledge of allegiance during a football game in order to send a message

    - You support and encourage government employees refusing to do their jobs during a football game in order to send a message
    Last edited by TheCount; 09-25-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    Trump is playing a real game of chess. I feel blessed that my intuition made me support him back in September 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    I think [Trump] is going to cut the budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    I give Trump 1 year to put [Clinton] in jail. See you in January 2018 about this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    [Paul Ryan being kicked out of speakership] happens soon after the vote fails.

  14. #73

    Default

    ...i love it!...hopefully the republican idiot, trump, will continue to shoot his fool mouth off and it will get so bad, so out of hand, 'the national anthem' foolery is scrapped and we can shave a couple of minutes from these already-too-long games...
    I hate the anthem prior to (real) football games, particularly since the majority of players are not from the US. we have so much revelry for the military and "first responders" that it seems to be dismissed that most of these "brave" souls are overcompensated by us spectators.

    these protests were initially about police brutality and zero accountability. that seems to have been lost.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions - and the [un]official football club of RPF

  15. #74

    Default

    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...175221581.html

    There is a false rumor about the national anthem in the NFL rulebook

    If you search Google for the NFL rulebook, a funny thing happens.

    One of the suggested searches is NFL rulebook A62 A63. Another is NFL rulebook pages a62 a63.

    What is the about? There is a rumor that says the NFL rulebook has instructions for players to stand at attention during the playing of the national anthem.

    “The NFL doesn’t follow their own rules. The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the NFL League Rulebook. It states:

    “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

    “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition...

    “...It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”

    A coworker pointed this out to me, so that’s why I did a quick search on Google of the NFL rulebook. It’s easy to find, and here is a link to it.

    There is no mention of the national anthem in the NFL rulebook. There are no pages A62 or A63, either.

    Page 62 deals with a “Foul committed during passing play,” “Foul during a backward pass or fumble,” “Foul during free kick play” and “Four during scrimmage kick play.” Page 63 continues with the scrimmage kick play, and then deals with a “Dead ball foul and foul between downs.”

    How about rules for before games?

    Rule 17 is “Emergencies, Unfair Acts,” and Article Seven of that rule has the only mention of the word pre-game.

    It has to do with a pre-game threat: “If there is deemed to be a threat of an emergency that may occur during the playing of a game (e.g., an incoming tropical storm), the starting time of such game will not be moved to an earlier time unless there is clearly sufficient time to make an orderly change.”
    "The only thing we have to fear is.... fear itself!" Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
    "Be afwaid. Be berry afwaid" Donald Trump.

    The optimists built this country and made it great- not the fearful. Fear can only destroy.

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  16. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parocks View Post
    Tebow and Kaepernick, top running QBs getting drummed out of the NFL. The NFL blackballs running QBs. They really want to sell the "NFL is a passing league" bs.

    Tebow wins a playoff game, loses a playoff game, and never starts another NFL game at QB.

    Kaepernick is one of the 3 QBs drafted this decade to make it to the Super Bowl - also Newton and Wilson.

    Tebow, Kaepernick, Newton, Wilson, RGIII, Pryor, Taylor - those 7 are the only QBs drafted this decade to run for 500+ in a season, 4 of the 7 are not currently playing QB in the NFL.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...eally-a-winner

    Whether or not that makes Tebow a "winner" in a broader sense of the word is much harder to pin down.

    Over 16 career starts, he is just 9-7 overall (including the postseason). Most would agree that a career winning percentage of 56.3 shouldn't be tied to one of the game's true "winners."

    In comparison, Tom Brady—Tebow's new mentor in New England and one of the most accomplished winners in NFL history—is 153-46 overall with a winning percentage of 76.9.
    "The only thing we have to fear is.... fear itself!" Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
    "Be afwaid. Be berry afwaid" Donald Trump.

    The optimists built this country and made it great- not the fearful. Fear can only destroy.

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  17. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I don’t even watch football.
    As a former office holder, what do you suggest is the best way to get our city and state to stop funding stadiums, infrastructure, and police presence on game days?
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  18. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    As a former office holder, what do you suggest is the best way to get our city and state to stop funding stadiums, infrastructure, and police presence on game days?
    All sized companies do the same thing- plead (blackmail) communities for tax breaks to either get them to move a facility to their area or threaten to move an existing one if they don't get more breaks. Walmart is particularly known for doing this. And their owners are among the richest people in the US. Get communities to bid against each other and go with who gives you the best deal. Now they will even move outside the US.
    "The only thing we have to fear is.... fear itself!" Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
    "Be afwaid. Be berry afwaid" Donald Trump.

    The optimists built this country and made it great- not the fearful. Fear can only destroy.

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  19. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I'm having a hard time following.

    - You oppose athletes kneeling during the pledge of allegiance during a football game in order to send a message

    - You support and encourage government employees refusing to do their jobs during a football game in order to send a message
    I oppose players using my resources to protest anything. Players are not marching out on a public street. They are in a private facility with restricted access maintained by the city. These teams use a lot of community resources and create a public nuisance. Shoot, when Pac Man Jones was here we almost needed a whole precinct just to take care of him. If these players feel oppressed, they have rights and probably a lot of access to people who can change that.

    I support government employees not showing up when what the people they are there to protect and serve protest their presence. The message would be "If you don't want us here, then fine. We can stay home with our families. Deal with the traffic and security through private means."
    Last edited by euphemia; 09-25-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  20. #79

    Default

    When I saw those guys down on their knees, I thought they were worshiping the national anthem.

  21. #80

    Default

    Specifically, with regard to the Titans, when they first came here, the late Bud Adams never bought a house in Davidson County, and most players don't live here, either. So they are not pay property taxes to support schools here. The city was connvinced it should build a stadium, but it was a strong opposition. There was a ballot referendum that just barely passed. They tried selling PSLs which worked pretty well in Charlotte, but there were not nearly enough sold to cover the construction costs which were somewhere in the $140 million range.

    Part of the agreement was that Tennessee State would get to play home games there. They never fill even a fraction of the stadium. On the other hand, Saturday's Alabama/Vandy game might have sold out. But not an option, apparently.

    All the sponsorship and concession licensing went straight to Texas. Tennesse was told we would get to name the team. That never happened, either. Bud named it himself.

    Nashville is a small market, and they put the stadium right downtown, displacing poor people and some landmark businesses. There was a lot of infrastructure to allow access to the stadium, again at public expense. Traffic control and security on game days sucks a lot of police resources out of other events and venues that need it.

    It is a big, fat money suck, and I'm really fed up. There are very few people living in Nashville who have any idea what real oppression is. If anyone is oppressed it is the taxpayer. This is nothing but a transfer of wealth from poor taxpayers to a rich entity that funnels a lot of money out of state.

    No protesting and pay your own way.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  22. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    When I saw those guys down on their knees, I thought they were worshiping the national anthem.
    Thread winner!

    If I had a T watter, I would spread it around.
    "Even an establishment Republican like Jerry Moran is far more libertarian you are." Traditional Conservative

    "You're a far more horrible person than she (Bristol Palin) will ever be." angelatc

  23. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    As a former office holder, what do you suggest is the best way to get our city and state to stop funding stadiums, infrastructure, and police presence on game days?
    If it wasn't a popular vote-getter, they wouldn't do it. If you want to make them stop doing that, then make it unpopular with the voters. Unfortunately, there really isn't much other option. You could introduce State-level bills to make such practices illegal, but so long as they were popular with the voters then you would never get enough support to pass such a bill.

  24. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    If a condition of my employment was such that I had to publicly get up and state my fealty to a symbol of State worship, I'm pretty sure I'd find another job.

    +1 rep. Totally agree.

    My question is is standing for the National Anthem actually a condition of their employment? Is it written in their contracts?

    Thousands of posts all over the internet have angry people saying they can 'protest on their own time' but not on their employer's time. But where in their contracts is it explicitly written that they have to do anything more than play football?

  25. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    If it wasn't a popular vote-getter, they wouldn't do it. If you want to make them stop doing that, then make it unpopular with the voters. Unfortunately, there really isn't much other option. You could introduce State-level bills to make such practices illegal, but so long as they were popular with the voters then you would never get enough support to pass such a bill.
    San Diego rejected a taxpayer funded stadium and the team left for greener pastures. (but the team's actions suggested they were going to leave town anyways- though they are not getting a good reception in LA so far so maybe it isn't so green there either).
    "The only thing we have to fear is.... fear itself!" Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
    "Be afwaid. Be berry afwaid" Donald Trump.

    The optimists built this country and made it great- not the fearful. Fear can only destroy.

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  26. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The other problem with this debate is that most ppl who are talking about this dont even watch or care for football.

    Just so u ppl know, the kneeling started with Obama. Trump only made it a presidential issue by opening his big stinking mouth. This was never about the president. Kapernick even said that he did not vote for Clinton.
    That's true that it started with Obama but the players and announcers didn't criticize him. And yes Trump is an idiot but so was Obama.

    But there's no way that this isn't a subtle "vote democratic" message. As far as I know all of the black groups that are protesting want more wealth redistribution and stronger discrimination laws to "fix" the problem. And that's right up the democratic party's alley. That being said I'll bet secretly a lot of the players are pissed off that the government is stealing half of their earnings.

  27. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    +1 rep. Totally agree.

    My question is is standing for the National Anthem actually a condition of their employment? Is it written in their contracts?

    Thousands of posts all over the internet have angry people saying they can 'protest on their own time' but not on their employer's time. But where in their contracts is it explicitly written that they have to do anything more than play football?
    NFL rules don't even require the anthem to be played- they have no rules at all concerning it so it won't be in any player contracts either. (see post #74 above)
    "The only thing we have to fear is.... fear itself!" Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
    "Be afwaid. Be berry afwaid" Donald Trump.

    The optimists built this country and made it great- not the fearful. Fear can only destroy.

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  28. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I'm having a hard time following.

    - You oppose athletes kneeling during the pledge of allegiance during a football game in order to send a message

    - You support and encourage government employees refusing to do their jobs during a football game in order to send a message
    The kneeling doesn't me but the "solution" represented by the kneeling does. Doesn't it bother you?

  29. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Whether or not that makes Tebow a "winner" in a broader sense of the word is much harder to pin down.

    Over 16 career starts, he is just 9-7 overall (including the postseason). Most would agree that a career winning percentage of 56.3 shouldn't be tied to one of the game's true "winners."

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...eally-a-winner
    And Kaepernick was 2-10 last year. But every SJW will tell you he's one of the best QBs in the league...
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  30. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    That's true that it started with Obama but the players and announcers didn't criticize him. And yes Trump is an idiot but so was Obama.

    But there's no way that this isn't a subtle "vote democratic" message. As far as I know all of the black groups that are protesting want more wealth redistribution and stronger discrimination laws to "fix" the problem. And that's right up the democratic party's alley. That being said I'll bet secretly a lot of the players are pissed off that the government is stealing half of their earnings.
    Where are u getting their proposed solution from. As far as I know they are just asking for more police accontability.

    Lastly Trump only got criticized becauee he inserted himself into the debate. Plus he threw the first punch by asking for them to be fired.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

  31. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And Kaepernick was 2-10 last year. But every SJW will tell you he's one of the best QBs in the league...
    There is more to a quarterbacks ability than his w/l record. Also nobody, not even Colin himself thinks he is the best quarter back.
    Last edited by juleswin; 09-25-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast





Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •