Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The problem with the NFL protestors

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I wasn't talking about the Pauls.
    Maybe not, but many of us did have an opinion about recent violent protests. I had an opinion back in the 60s with violent protests and I had an opinion about the Rodney King riots. I consder violent protest to be a form of terrorism. I don't want to live my life afraid of what some group threatens.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Maybe not, but many of us did have an opinion about recent violent protests. I had an opinion back in the 60s with violent protests and I had an opinion about the Rodney King riots. I consder violent protest to be a form of terrorism. I don't want to live my life afraid of what some group threatens.
    I agree, I really wish the government would quit threatening me.
    "The Patriarch"

My statement was about so much more ballyhooing over a "knee protest" than on the violent protests a couple of weeks ago.
    Last edited by Ender; 10-01-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    There is no spoon.

Government permits such violence by stopping those who would end violence the moment it began...

Police and courts are not the solution, they are the problem.

By that model, the founders would hve been terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    The founders stood up for their own damn selves, they didn't run crying to some "higher authority" to do it for them....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The founders stood up for their own damn selves, they didn't run crying to some "higher authority" to do it for them....
    zactly

No protest at the Panther/Patriots game today. Just a damn good game.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I thought that would come up when I posted. I think the founders faced an entirely different circumstance. They left everything and traveled across an ocean, then started with nothing to form their own communities and whatnot. That is not what today's protesters faced. They may have faced ugly behavior from others, but that does not separate them into some kind of special group. I don't think anyone arrives at adulthood without that experience. Professional athletes are actually part of the privileged class, and if anything, we should tell them to check their sports privilege before they start protesting mistreatment on my tax dollar.
    #NashvilleStrong

Precisely. They did not really protest anything until the Boston Tea Party, and they made some choices to form a brand new nation and govenrment. I think they would be disappointed in the anthem kneelers.

I would kind of like to form protests to take away tax dollars from sports stadiums, and I would really, really like to form a group to travel around to college campuses to take back free speech. Most of those spoiled little people are going to school on our dollars.
    Last edited by euphemia; 10-01-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

I thought that would come up when I posted. I think the founders faced an entirely different circumstance. They left everything and traveled across an ocean, then started with nothing to form their own communities and whatnot. That is not what today's protesters faced. They may have faced ugly behavior from others, but that does not separate them into some kind of special group. I don't think anyone arrives at adulthood without that experience. Professional athletes are actually part of the privileged class, and if anything, we should tell them to check their sports privilege before they start protesting mistreatment on my tax dollar.
    Well, I can agree with that.

I just don't like that word 'terrorism' being offered up so casually these days. These days, I can fart on the train and be labeled a terrorist, unfortunately. The reason for that, I think, is because people all of a sudden tend to have the view that they have a right to have their feelings addressed.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 10-01-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Well, to be honest, your "tax dollar" is unconstitutional and we should all be protesting that. Plus, protesting peacefully against unconstitutional militarized police is fine with me. AND, the politicalization of the teams really took a turn after 911 and spreading democracy became a national institution. Before then, the players never came out until after the flag stuff.

The kneelers haven't hurt or destroyed anything, as of yet.
    There is no spoon.

Well, to be honest, your "tax dollar" is unconstitutional and we should all be protesting that. Plus, protesting peacefully against unconstitutional militarized police is fine with me. AND, the politicalization of the teams really took a turn after 911 and spreading democracy became a national institution. Before then, the players never came out until after the flag stuff.

The kneelers haven't hurt or destroyed anything, as of yet.
    #TaxationIsTheft...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

My statement was about so much more ballyhooing over a "knee protest" than on the violent protests a couple of weeks ago.
    I also think the so-called victory celebrations when teams win championships are horrid. Under any other circumstance they would be called rioting.
    #NashvilleStrong

By Jonathan Berr MoneyWatch September 29, 2017, 2:13 PM

NFL national anthem protest denting ticket sales

Operators of two of the largest U.S. ticket marketplaces say they are seeing declines in orders for NFL games amid festering controversy over the national anthem.
    NFL ticket sales at TickPick slumped 17.9 percent this week compared with the prior week, their steepest decline since 2014, while sales at TicketCity plunged 31 percent.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-nat...-ticket-sales/

NFL Boycott Declared For Veterans Day Weekend, Nearly 75,000 Vow Support

September 27, 2017 2:52 PM
    PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Tens of thousands upset over NFL players taking a knee during the national anthem are planning a boycott of the NFL.
    A Facebook group now has more than 70,000 members calling for a boycott of all NFL games on Veterans Day weekend, Nov. 12-13.
    The group is encouraging people to avoid watching football on both Sunday and Monday to show support for veterans.
    The Facebook event states: “We will be not be watching or listening to NFL games on November 12th in solidarity with veterans around the country, as football players have continued to disrespect the national anthem, the American flag, and everything our nation stands for.”

Area restaurant boycotting NFL games draws large crowd

Sept. 29, 2017

Beef O’Brady’s file photo
    The owner of Beef O’Brady’s restaurant in Beavercreek said he had a large crowd Thursday night following his declaration that he will not air NFL games while players protest during the playing of the national anthem.
    “The response was just remarkable last night. We had people coming in that had never been to our restaurant,” said Beef O’Brady’s owner Bill DeFries, who estimated the eatery did three times the business it normally does on a Thursday night.

Related

As another NFL Sunday begins, the anthem protest debate continues in Baltimore
    By Mark Maske and Dave Sheinin October 1

Gail Heiss and Micheal Goldberg hold up signs urging players to stand up before the Ravens and Steelers played in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-in-baltimore/

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    NOW you're getting down to reality!! Yes, one can exert violence when they are offended. It's a very real possibility when you consider the brutal reality -- "Man" is a violent dangerous animal. If you "offend" his beliefs (no matter how silly) he can become butthurt and punch you. If that's your strategy for "promoting" your ideas it's an old strategy but a popular one...
    Who said anything about violence? We are talking about criticism, protests and boycotts.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    1. Liberty is unpopular.
    Yes, it is. Very unpopular.

The popularity of the opinion or protest is irrelevant.
    Not if you're a political movement, hoping to get an agenda across.

2. If 85 iq degenerates are right then they're right. A bunch of ad hominem attacks won't change that.
    But they're not right. They're a bunch of overpaid leftist pawns with a persecution complex. And it's not an ad hominem, but I'm not surprised you're unaware of the distinction between an insult and an actual fallacy. It would be ad-hominem if I said that they're degenerates with an IQ of 85, therefore they're wrong.

But of course you won't agree, look who I'm talking to. We all know the real reason you oppose siding with them.
    Well let's see:

1. It's terrible optics that will make the movement even less popular than it already is
    2. It's leftism and leftism is inherently hostile to anything remotely libertarian or pro-civilization
    3. The libertarian movement being a pawn of the left is not only a bad idea, it's a repeated proven failure (just ask Reason)

Need I go on? I don't know why idiots like you think I'm trying to hide some racial point. When have I ever been shy about my views on race? Immigration, for example, is a race issue, and I've never tried to obfuscate my opinions in that regard. If an issue is racial, I've never been afraid to say it.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    But they're not right. They're a bunch of overpaid leftist pawns with a persecution complex.
    I'm not sure if you're aware that that doesn't make them not right.

(Ad hominem, btw)

And it's not an ad hominem
    I'm not certain that you should be defaming anyone else's intelligence...

It would be ad-hominem if I said that they're degenerates with an IQ of 85, therefore they're wrong.
    Let me scroll up to read the rest of the argument that you presented...

... Yep, nothing.

Well let's see:

1. It's terrible optics that will make the movement even less popular than it already is
    2. It's leftism and leftism is inherently hostile to anything remotely libertarian or pro-civilization
    3. The libertarian movement being a pawn of the left is not only a bad idea, it's a repeated proven failure (just ask Reason)
    Still nothing, besides another ad hominem. I bolded it for you in case you aren't sure which part was an ad hominem.

I don't know why idiots like you think I'm trying to hide some racial point.
    I didn't say that you were hiding a racial point.

Seems like you did, though.

https://www.menofthewest.net/point-and-shriek/

Point and Shriek

It’s time to steal a tactic from the Left.

It is no good arguing with SJWs, because they do not argue in good faith. There is no point in appealing to their minds, for there are no facts that will break them from the virtue spiral in which they have immersed themselves. The only thing to do with them is to mock them, to point out their hypocrisy as loudly and publicly as possible. As Saul Alinsky explained in Rules for Radicals, ridicule is mankind’s most potent weapon. They want attention? Give it to them, squared, cubed, and loaded with gee juice.

The primary objective of the mockery is not to break the probably-mentally-ill object of your scorn. The primary objective is to drive a wedge between the leftist and normal people. It is to get the great unengaged middle to say, “These people are obviously insane and I’m not going to listen to them anymore.” It is to inoculate everyday Americans against the cancer that is social justice.

When SJWs overstep – and they must, for by their nature they must continue to out-signal their contemporaries – swat them down. Whether you watch the NFL or not (I haven’t in years), it’s critical to punch back, using the conservative, veteran, male fan base of the NFL to do so. Millions of Americans are on our side in this. They simply do not know they are on any side yet. Let them know.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Who said anything about violence? We are talking about criticism, protests and boycotts.
    Great!! Do all of those you want (and see how effective it is). Just don't try to "legislate" away my rights...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Great!! Do all of those you want (and see how effective it is). Just don't try to "legislate" away my rights...
    If anyone proposes that I will oppose it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

#TaxationIsTheft...
    #StateIsAPresupposedSocialContractAndMoreAnalagous ToAPlatonicFormThanApurelyNominalistMentalConstruc t

Oof.. that what a mouthful.

It is no good arguing with SJWs, because they do not argue in good faith. There is no point in appealing to their minds, for there are no facts that will break them from the virtue spiral in which they have immersed themselves. The only thing to do with them is to mock them, to point out their hypocrisy as loudly and publicly as possible.

Problem is that just about every major institution bows down to SJWs & sympathizers. Corporations, State officials, media outlets, religious authorities, and now sports teams. Over the past several months we've seen an unprecedented amount of censorship, wicked collaboration between private entities, and suppression by these powers; as was the case of GAB. The NFL boycott seems so small in the grand scheme of things where the populace is largely apathetic.
    Last edited by Identity; 10-02-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Fox Sports: We Will No Longer Air National Anthem Before NFL Games

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-sports-no-longer-air-093323656.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I find many things annoying about this whole thing, but one that stands out to me:

If I were to attempt something similar, I would get fired.

All across the corporate world, step out of line in the slightest way and you will be pounding the pavement before you know what happened to you.
    Ummmm.....Colin Kaepernick did get fired. And then Trump made a total jackass of himself and called out the entire NFL and made Colin Kaepernick an overnight hero. Now I don't know your profession. But if all of the best in your profession across an entire industry said "Fvck it. We're not budging".....well I doubt they'd all get fired. Imagine the helluva team an NFL owner would have if the rest of the league fired all of the players standing (well...kneeling) with Kaepernick and one owner broke ranks and said "Screw the flag! Come play for us!"

Now this is what pisses me off. While Obama was president, "patriots" were flying the flag upside down in protest. So....what's the difference? Oh...I know...I know...the flag upside down is a "sign of distress." Well...this country is in distress. And police shootings of unarmed people (and puppies) is a major cause of distress. And yes blacks are disproportionately being shot despite the lies Stefan Molyneux is spewing on the subject. That's because blacks are disproportionately stopped by police. Ron Paul had it right. Blacks use drugs at the same rate as whites but are far more likely to get arrested, convicted and spend longer in prison. So it stands to reason that blacks would be getting shot more. It's a tragedy when some white person, like the Aussie woman, gets shot too. Whites should go to "black lives matter" protests, hold up her picture and say "Her life matters too." Oh but no. The white reaction is "Blue lives matter." Ummmm.....okay. I never saw a blue person in my life (well, except for the blue man group) but okay.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 10-02-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You realize that the athletes who are protesting are doing it because they feel solidarity with people who are not privileged? Kaepernick basically got fired after protesting. A small handful (like 5?) NFL players protested with him. Donald Trump decided to be the dumbass that he is and turned a marginalized fired player into a worldwide cause. The "privileged class" decided to take a knee for the underprivileged class. The only thing wrong with the "black lives matter" movement is that it's not just black people getting shot for no reason by police. It's white people. It's puppies. It could be you or your child next. Seriously. You call in a suspected rape? You walk up to the police car to give your report? The militarized police officer freaks out because he hears a bank? And you could be shot. And the police officer could get off because he claimed he was "afraid." That's some crap. That should not exist in a country that claims to be the "land of the free and the home of the brave." It should not be tolerated among a group of people who claim to "protect and serve." And whatever it takes for this to be seen as unacceptable should happen.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    The NFL players that are protesting over unfair treatment of blacks are annoying to me for a couple reasons:

1. Many of their "solutions" like more wealth distribution and tighter enforcement of discrimination laws are only going to make the problem much worse.
    Don't conflate everyone who protests police brutality with whatever agenda the so called "leaders" of black lives matter put on the internet.

Not if you were black...
    Colin Kaepernick got fired. Trump may help him get rehired though.

Here in Nashville that idea is absurd. Nashville had the first black university. Nashville has a university founded on the idea of strengthening common principles (with a black head football coach). Nashville has a strong black tradition and was very active in civil rights from the start.

The Titans stayed in the locker room today. I put the few Titans items I own in a bag and they are now at Goodwill. I have also fired off a letter to the CEO of the Titans saying I am done with football. Tomorrow I plan to write the FOP and suggest they come down with blue flu next home game and I will also write my councilwoman and state legislator demanding that they end funding for the stadium and infruastructure supporting it.

So says the fat little grandma.
    This could be your grandson.

Wall Street vets are threatening to pull the plug on the NFL

Many brokers and bankers — some of whom are also military veterans — have threatened to pull the plug on pro football for not reining in players who are using the American national anthem as an opportunity to protest by taking the knee.
    And as the protests gather steam this weekend, some vets of the financial markets — a huge employer of former US military service personnel, have unleashed a barrage of criticism in response and could be counted among the estimated 2 million fewer viewers over the first three weeks of the season.
    The NFL protests should stop, these Street vets say — or else.
    “I am going to be flat-out honest — I think the players should be standing up for the anthem. They can lock arms all right, but they shouldn’t be bringing politics into the sport like this,” Chris McCormick, a sales trader at a derivatives broker in New York, told The Post.

The NFL is starting to feel the financial whiplash from Wall Street. Some of the highest rollers at the games these days are deal-makers and stock traders who unwind in the best stadium suites, sponsor the NFL and bankroll the franchise by buying blocks of season tickets.
    “Of course we should respect the American flag,” said John O’Shea, New York-based chairman of Global Alliance Securities, who has season tickets to the Giants.
    O’Shea did not dispute a player’s constitutional right to protest and he hasn’t shredded his season tickets just yet.
    But McCormick is having none of it. “I am now watching way less games than I ever had,” he said.
    And other Street vets are not holding back either.
    “Dragging the national anthem into an anti-President Trump message is very disrespectful to our military veterans,” said financial expert Hughey Newsome, a consultant for
    MorganFranklin, referring to the firestorm that erupted when the president publicly attacked NFL national anthem protests more than a week ago. “The protests are doing a humongous disservice to those who have died in defense of this land, and in defense of everything we stand for,” Newsome added.
    Newsome, an African-American, is a member of the influential Project 21 black leadership network, sponsored by the National Center for Public Policy Research.
    The conservative coalition says NFL players “kneel and protest at their peril.” And it warns of economic consequences if the protests don’t end — noting how anger over the protests has trickled down to businesses that make money through their NFL affiliation.
    Project 21 said sponsor boycotts are also being organized. “Just as people have a right to express their First Amendment concerns, other people have a right to vote with their dollars,” Newsome said.
    On Thursday, Allan Jones, founder of Check Into Cash, said that he is pulling all commercials for his lending companies during NFL games for the rest of the season.

More at: http://nypost.com/2017/10/01/wall-st...ug-on-the-nfl/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Colin Kaepernick got fired. Trump may help him get rehired though.
    This is the very important part most people are missing about this story and that is the fact Colin K to the surprise of many people on this site who think blackness gives one immunity from getting fired, he did get fired for protesting the anthem and he most likely would never be hired ever again in the NFL.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast