Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with all the farm animals let loose?

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

What would you do with all the farm animals let loose?

So pigs, cows, chickens, turkeys are being slaughtered at biblical proportions everyday yes? What would happen if you released them into the wild? Wouldn't they just destroy the environment, eat up all our crops and go feral in lands they aren't native to like the Asian Carp?
    Last edited by Lamp; 09-23-2017 at 10:25 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Eat The Enemy: The Delicious Solution To Menacing Asian Carp

Asian carp were never supposed to live in North American waterways. Like many other invasive species, they were introduced by humans in an attempt to address another problem, namely to remove algae from catfish farms and wastewater treatment ponds in the 1970s. But sometime in the next two decades, the fish escaped their enclosures -- most likely due to several large floods in the '90s -- and began to spread.
    Over the past 15 years, populations have exploded, as the carp outcompete native fish populations and quickly reproduce through the tributaries of the Mississippi and Illinois rivers while moving north to the Great Lakes. And they've become a huge problem.

The name "Asian carp" is actually an umbrella title for four different species: bighead carp, black carp, grass carp and silver carp. Some of the larger species can weigh up to 100 pounds and have an uncanny ability to jump out of the water. Females can produce upwards of 2 millioneggs, and some of the fish can live for 20 years.
    The Obama administration has spent more than $200 milliontrying to control their spread, including building a series of electrified barriers to try to deter the fish from swimming closer to the Great Lakes. So far, those efforts have failed, and the carp have been seen less than 40 miles from Lake Michigan. Should the animals reach the lakes, they have the potential to devastate local ecosystems and a $7 billion fishing industry. But the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says any fix, if one that works can be found, would be neither easy nor immediate, and it could cost billions morethan has already been spent.
    But an increasing number of scientists, and chefs, are calling for a far cheaper means to help contain the alien species -- putting them on the dinner plate.
    Dr. Quinton Phelps, a fisheries ecologist at the Missouri Department of Conservation, has been on a mission to convince people to take advantage of the underappreciated protein source since he began studying it in in the mid-2000s. He says the fish weren't really on anyone's radar as little as 10 years ago, but these days you can steer a boat down the Mississippi, and as soon as the carp hear the sound of the motor they'll start "popping up like popcorn" out of the water. They can be 100-pound torpedoes that leave boaters with black eyes and broken noses.
    But even more importantly, they act like underwater vacuums, eating huge amounts of plankton and algaethat other fish rely on, which has "this huge deleterious effect," Phelps told The Huffington Post. In some waterways, they now make up nearly 95 percent of total biomass after out-eating nearly every other native species.
    For ecologists like Phelps, convincing people to eat the carp is a no-brainer. They're nutritious, cheap (free if you can catch them -- and they literally jump into your boat) and damn tasty.

A research team at the University of Missouri did a blind taste test last year, and the carp won handily over the far more popular catfish. Phelps' team conducted a similar taste test and found diners preferred the carp 2-to-1 over catfish and tilapia, regardless of cooking method.
    "The best part about it is that you're eating green, you're doing something to ensure the sustainability of other native foods by consuming this critter," he said.
    Eating carp may be a new thing for Americans, but the fish have been a staple in Asia for generations. There's not much of a local market unless you decide to go out and reel in your dinner, but some entrepreneurs have begun catching and exporting fish from the Mississippi River Basin and hawking it. It's often marketed as "Kentucky white fish" and has become a popular alternative to local, farmed carp in places like China.
    But the biggest challenge for Americans is the name. Phelps, whose department leads 20 to 30 workshops on the fish every year, says people hear the name carp and immediately begin to think, "Ew, that's gross." Other chefs have tried to go with the rebranding route, like that of the Chilean sea bass or orange roughy -- formerly known as the Patagonian toothfish and slimehead -- and get approval to call the carp "silverfin."
    In Louisiana, Chef Philippe Parola has made a name for himself by holding invasive-species cooking demonstrations around what he calls the "Silverfin Craze." He's stumped for quite a few other invasives, including alligator, snow goose and nutria, "the best red meat you’ve ever had,” he told Modern Farmer.
    Whatever they're called, Parola says once they're on the plate, carp are indistinguishable from any other mild white fish. And unlike other fisheries on the verge of collapse, populations of Asian carp are booming beyond measure, and something has to be done -- so why not dig in?
    "If you're at the stage where we're at, and you're having the trouble that we are, we've got to start somewhere, and we have a lot of people in this country that are hungry," Phelps said. "This is the perfect protein source. I say, let's eat 'em."

Asian Carp On A StickRecipe provided by Quinton Phelps
    1 pound boneless Asian carp fillets (cut into 5-inch long pieces)
    ⅓ cup soy sauce (low sodium)
    ⅓ cup water
    ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (optional)
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    12 wooden skewers
    Preheat grill to 400 degrees, and treat grill surface with non-stick spray.
    Create the marinade. In a large plastic bowl, combine soy sauce, water, brown sugar, Sriracha sauce, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Whisk thoroughly.
    Marinate the fish. Add fillets to marinade (making sure each fillet is evenly coated) and refrigerate overnight.
    Make the kabobs. Thread the fillets on soaked wooden or bamboo skewers.
    Place the kabobs on the barbecue grill, and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side (or until done).
    Not all invasive species are edible, and some included in this series can be dangerous, including lionfish and wild boar. Please take caution when foraging or hunting for your own food.

Dude, stop posting while you're high.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Dude, stop posting while you're high.
    that was meant for lily

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    So pigs, cows, chickens, turkeys are being slaughtered at biblical proportions everyday yes? What would happen if you released them into the wild? Wouldn't they just destroy the environment, eat up all our crops and go feral in lands they aren't native to like the Asian Carp?
    All of the turkeys and chickens would be eaten within a few weeks / months by predators. Pigs would be feral , breed like rabbits and destroy every crop known to man. I would eat the cows since that is all that would be left . After I ate all of the cows we would hunt feral pigs .
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-23-2017 at 11:48 AM.

that was meant for lily
    After careful consideration, I think my point still stands.

If I was single I could fence in and booby trap my garden against feral pigs and lure in vegan ladies with vegetables . Mrs O would not allow it though .

You're assuming that vegans want all farm animals to be released into the wild, but that's not the case. Those animals are bred into existence, so what vegans are saying is we need to stop breeding those animals.

Secondly, your scenario is unrealistic, because obviously the world is not going to go vegan overnight, and I think most vegans are well aware of that. It is a process that happens gradually. But it is happening, and I have no doubt that it is the future. As the demand decreases, so will the supply. And believe it or not, there have been a number of farmers or ranchers who have had a change of mind and turned their farms into animal sanctuaries.

There are lots of videos about rescued farm animals who were lucky enough to end up in an animal sanctuary. I love watching these videos. I'll post a few here, take a look:

“I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    There are lots of videos about rescued farm animals who were lucky enough to end up in an animal sanctuary. I love watching these videos. I'll post a few here, take a look.
    Someone should tell these people that it's not polite to play with their food.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Most people are generally not rich enough to keep a cow or a pig in their backyard but suit yourself I guess. Their just going to breed themselves in the wild after their irresponsible owners let them go like the millions of stray dogs and cats.

I think you misunderstand vegans. They are not the underground railroad for animals. They are Planned Parenthood for animals. They are mostly city slickers, they don't want a wolf eating their poodle and they don't want a wild cow pooping on their sidewalk, they think all of nature is just happy birds singing not coyotes eating bunnies. They think the environment is being destroyed by sheep passing gas. They would rather farm animals go extinct than to live a life of purpose to give life to starving children in Africa. They don't want happy healthy milk cows. They don't want healthy bulls being pampered to be herd sires. The only thing they care about regarding animals is denying you the right to eat an egg or a steak or even put honey on your toast in some cases. It's more like a religion than anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Most people are generally not rich enough to keep a cow or a pig in their backyard but suit yourself I guess. Their just going to breed themselves in the wild after their irresponsible owners let them go like the millions of stray dogs and cats.
    Then the vegans will lobby for billion dollar programs to neuter them instead of letting hunters take care of them. Shoot one and you will get death row in Veganville. Or more likely a drone strike, that's where control freaks prefer to gravitate towards these days. Who needs trials right?
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

What would you do with all the farm animals let loose?
    Round 'em up and brand the damn things!

Money on the hoof.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I think you misunderstand vegans. They are not the underground railroad for animals. They are Planned Parenthood for animals. They are mostly city slickers, they don't want a wolf eating their poodle and they don't want a wild cow pooping on their sidewalk, they think all of nature is just happy birds singing not coyotes eating bunnies. They think the environment is being destroyed by sheep passing gas. They would rather farm animals go extinct than to live a life of purpose to give life to starving children in Africa. They don't want happy healthy milk cows. They don't want healthy bulls being pampered to be herd sires. The only thing they care about regarding animals is denying you the right to eat an egg or a steak or even put honey on your toast in some cases. It's more like a religion than anything.
    Well. Collectivist mindsets do tend to view humans as members of groups rather than as individuals.

I know vegans who just mind their own business and don't bother anybody.

Stump train them.
    "The Patriarch"

Sigh. Youth is wasted on the young. I should make that my sig. Heh.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They would rather farm animals go extinct than to live a life of purpose to give life to starving children in Africa. They don't want happy healthy milk cows.
    That's one of the most laughable things I've read all week. But I think you were just baiting, so I'm not going to bother showing how wrong that is on numerous levels. Besides, your mind seems to be as closed as Fort Knox, so it would be a waste of time anyway.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Someone should tell these people that it's not polite to play with their food.
    Fortunately that's not the case. But you reminded me of an interview with a woman who has an interesting story. She went from being the wife of a fourth-generation cattle rancher to starting an animal sanctuary. If you have time, you should watch this.... The part you reminded me of starts about 45 seconds in.

― Henry David Thoreau

That's one of the most laughable things I've read all week. But I think you were just baiting, so I'm not going to bother showing how wrong that is on numerous levels. Besides, your mind seems to be as closed as Fort Knox, so it would be a waste of time anyway.
    I'm talking about the vegans I know. You've made it clear before that you are not a vegan. You've said you don't always agree with them either.

But it's true that animals are a vital source of food in the world right now. The poor in destitute countries need nutrition. And there have been happy and healthy milk cows on small farms for thousands of years. Just facts.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I'm talking about the vegans I know. You've made it clear before that you are not a vegan. You've said you don't always agree with them either.

But it's true that animals are a vital source of food in the world right now. The poor in destitute countries need nutrition. And there have been happy and healthy milk cows on small farms for thousands of years. Just facts.
    "The Patriarch"

Actually, if we stopped feeding the majority of crops to livestock that end up in the stomachs of obese Westerners, we could probably solve the world hunger problem. When you think about the massive amount of food being fed to those animals, it's mind-boggling.

I agree that the poor need nutrition, but they certainly don't need to adopt the Western animal-based diet that is linked to cancer and other illnesses.

As for happy and healthy milk cows, that is a lie that we've been sold, for centuries. Even on the smaller farms, the calves are taken away from their mothers, usually on the first day of their life. Why, because we can't have the baby drink his mother's milk, now can we? We gotta have it! That causes distress to both the baby and the mother, it's cruel and unnecessary.

The reality is, most people get their dairy from the grocery store, so it comes from factory farms where the cows are slaves, treated absolutely horribly, until they're no longer of any use, and then violently slaughtered.

― Henry David Thoreau

milk is ok if you make something better out of it like ice cream .

Those nasty Mongolians ( kind of remind ya of Vikings ) fermented mares milk and made liquor out of it . I bet that $#@! is nasty .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As for happy and healthy milk cows, that is a lie that we've been sold, for centuries. Even on the smaller farms, the calves are taken away from their mothers, usually on the first day of their life.
    You are just wrong about the farms I'm talking about that I've actually been to. I guess you just simply can't fathom there is such a thing as a good humane homestead. There are many dairies where the animals are literally treated as pets with names and all. But you never admit to that, you insist on demonizing all farmers who do anything besides crops.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Pablo Escobars Hippos are living in Columbia still last I was there . They will be King of the Medellin countryside .

They would rather farm animals go extinct than to live a life of purpose to give life to starving children in Africa.
    Actually, if we stopped feeding the majority of crops to livestock that end up in the stomachs of obese Westerners, we could probably solve the world hunger problem. When you think about the massive amount of food being fed to those animals, it's mind-boggling.
    Wait, did I miss a step in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Those nasty Mongolians ( kind of remind ya of Vikings ) fermented mares milk and made liquor out of it . I bet that $#@! is nasty .
    Injun style.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Injun style.
    I knew you would not get taken in the rapture .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I'm stunned that there is a food type around the world that Oyarde has not tried. As to Airag, I dunno if its nasty but its been on my "to try" list for a bit. If I ever come across it you can be sure I will have a mug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast