Thread: Neighbor Says Despite Pleas, Oklahoma City Police Shoot Deaf Man

Default Neighbor Says Despite Pleas, Oklahoma City Police Shoot Deaf Man

Deaf Advocates Call Oklahoma Police Shooting ‘Tragic but Not Surprising’

by Elizabeth Chuck and Tracy Connor

The fatal police shooting of a deaf man in Oklahoma City has sparked outrage nationwide, particularly among disability rights advocates who say his death could have been prevented.

The man, 35-year-old Magdiel Sanchez, was Tasered and shot dead on a porch Tuesday night after officers saw him holding up a metal pipe. Oklahoma City Police Capt. Bo Mathews told reporters Wednesday that the officers commanded him to put down the pipe.

When Sanchez didn't do so, they opened fire — even as neighbors yelled to police: "He can't hear you!"
    [Neighbor Says Despite Pleas, Oklahoma City Police Shoot Deaf Man]

The case is hardly the only shocking police encounter involving people with disabilities: Sanchez is at least the fifth fatal police shooting of a deaf person in just the last couple of years, according to Helping Educate to Advance the Rights of the Deaf, or HEARD, a volunteer nonprofit that has tracked incidences of police brutality against deaf people going back 40 years.

The group has found many other non-fatal interactions between police and the deaf.

They say Sanchez's killing and the other instances of police brutality against deaf people highlight an urgent need to better educate officers.
    "“We can't presume that everyone can comply with orders on demand.”"

"It's tragic, but not surprising," said HEARD director Talila Lewis of Sanchez's death. "We can't presume that everyone can comply with orders on demand."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rising-n803226
    There is no spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Hold pipe and do not put down = justified murder by state agents

Contempt is an offense punishable by death no matter if you are deaf or not.

It's only going to get worse. I hate that my best advice to young men is to keep your head down, avoid contact with state agents at all costs, and comply without eye contact if you can't avoid the contact. One has to castrate their soul to interact with our wonderful protectors. $#@!'s gotta change.
    I do not consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    Hold pipe and do not put down = justified murder by state agents

Contempt is an offense punishable by death no matter if you are deaf or not.

It's only going to get worse. I hate that my best advice to young men is to keep your head down, avoid contact with state agents at all costs, and comply without eye contact if you can't avoid the contact. One has to castrate their soul to interact with our wonderful protectors. $#@!'s gotta change.
    ^^^1000%^^^
    There is no spoon.