Thread: Have you tried living in a tiny house?

Have you tried living in a tiny house?

It sounds appealing and quite off-grid

This sort of thing: https://tinyhouselistings.com/listin...-15-csoyring2/

How did you like it? How did you find a place to locate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    It sounds appealing and quite off-grid

This sort of thing: https://tinyhouselistings.com/listin...-15-csoyring2/

How did you like it? How did you find a place to locate?
    I've made do living in a cabin of of approx. 500 sq. ft. and a studio apt. of 320 sq. ft. In fact, for me, it was spacious. I see nothing wrong with it. It definitely requires downsizing. I don't see that as a negative. The larger the sq. ft. the more $#@! you feel you have to fill it with.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I've made do living in a cabin of of approx. 500 sq. ft. and a studio apt. of 320 sq. ft. In fact, for me, it was spacious. I see nothing wrong with it. It definitely requires downsizing. I don't see that as a negative. The larger the sq. ft. the more $#@! you feel you have to fill it with.
    How did you go about finding the property? The major search engines are geared toward "normal" houses/apartments, and IDK how to find land for a tiny house if I bought one. :/
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Here’s How Many Solitary Prison Cells Fit In Your Apartment - http://www.vocativ.com/usa/justice-u...our-apartment/

How did you go about finding the property? The major search engines are geared toward "normal" houses/apartments, and IDK how to find land for a tiny house if I bought one. :/
    Probably many mobile home parks would let you park it? It's essentially a mobile home, somewhat different form factor (square instead of long and skinny).

I've lived in houses that are tiny, though not in a "Tiny House"(TM). I've lived in 500 sq ft for sure. Less, renting single rooms. 12 by 40 gives 480 sq ft (less usable, due to wall thickness), and you could probably find a used 12X40 mobile home for, well, a lot less than $20k!

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Probably many mobile home parks would let you park it? It's essentially a mobile home, somewhat different form factor (square instead of long and skinny).
    That's what I was thinking. My 18ft travel trailer I lived in for a few years had less than 200sq ft to it and that probably includes the popout queensize bed I built a wall around for year round living. I got by just fine by myself.

Word of mouth. The cabin was on some property a friend was renting. It wasn't in terrible shape, but needed some upgrading. Owner let me, and then me and my-ex, live there in exchange for repair/updating it. He paid for materials and I provided 30 hrs. labor a month, a coupla hours most evenings, instead of rent. It turned out really nice, but then we decided to move to another state.

ETA: Me and my sweetheart are going out of town this weekend and are getting a dog sitter. They are city folk and jumped at the chance to look after the dog in exchange for staying here. We decided to do a top to bottom clean though since it needed it anyway. We are in a cabin that is 1550 sq. ft. I started cleaning at 10 am and am just now finishing. It took a lot less time with the 500 sq. ft. cabin and a lot less chachkis to fill it.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 09-20-2017 at 03:20 PM.

If you plan to stay single, go for it. It might be a good way to have an investment you can afford. On the other hand, if you plan to marry and have children, it might not be a good idea. My daughter, sil, and their four children lived in a 900 sf apartment in NYC. Not a good way to cook for 6 people in that setting or do home school, or have more than one on the potty at the time--most critical when potty training a child. Men seem to like the throne time, so keep that in mind.

You might be able to find an actual small house in a sparsely populated area for about what some tiny houses cost. Just think about that, and think about how customized you would need it to be. You are a musician and a tiny house would not give you much space for your instruments and other electronic support. Certainly no room for social music or having a relationship.
    Last edited by euphemia; 09-20-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    If you plan to stay single, go for it. It might be a good way to have an investment you can afford. On the other hand, if you plan to marry and have children, it might not be a good idea. My daughter, sil, and their four children lived in a 900 sf apartment in NYC. Not a good way to cook for 6 people in that setting or do home school, or have more than one on the potty at the time--most critical when potty training a child. Men seem to like the throne time, so keep that in mind.

You might be able to find an actual small house in a sparsely populated area for about what some tiny houses cost. Just think about that, and think about how customized you would need it to be. You are a musician and a tiny house would not give you much space for your instruments and other electronic support. Certainly no room for social music or having a relationship.
    I don't play big instruments like piano, though. I play winds/strings. I can easily fit all my instruments and amplifiers and gear in a bedroom space (already have to do it and it sucks :P ). For rehearsal, houses are terrible anyway (except for ginormous ones). When I practice with people I use the church or a school or a hall somewhere. Short of marriage, I'm not sure why a tiny house would be bad for a relationship. People in "relationships" live in apartments all the time.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 09-20-2017 at 03:27 PM.

I think it's good that you are looking forward for an investment. I'm just putting out ideas for you to consider based on the life experience we have had. We live in a 960sf home and raised a child and several pets here. It's good for us, and we can have a little bit of company, but it can be a challenge to have all the grandchildren here at once. Not every woman wants to be that isolated--especially if there are kids that might need medical care pronto. I would not want to have to drive 45 min to the grocery store, you know?

We are very accustomed to urban living. We have a decent size yard and can reach any point in the county in 30 min or less. My time is a valuable resource.
    #NashvilleStrong

I want to add that a lot of people in our area did a lot of downsizing and off-grid living because they were afraid of Y2K. Yes, they did. Turns out they were ridiculous, but there you go. They are now stuck with buckets of food they would never eat, hundreds of jars of water, a mobile home or whatever they can't sell, and a lot of traveling to and fro to get to basic necessities like fuel, medical care, and groceries.

I had a friend who was panicking and needed to buy a bike in case she needed to get her kids to medical during Y2K. I'm like, "Hon, you own two horses and a doctor lives right down the street." Plus, if Y2K became a reality, she would not have had access to actual hospitals or medical facilities because they would all be down. The moral of the story is don't go crazy thinking about things that are totally out in left field.
    #NashvilleStrong

Oh, to answer your other question, too: I liked it, it was great! Simplicity and saving money is always great. One just has to stand against the modern zeitgeist and resist accumulating stuff. Stuff, stuff, stuff; endless mountains of stuff. It's an eternal fight we all have. "One in, one out" is clearly the only long-term viable rule, but it takes discipline. Just consider how many times you're getting more stuff: birthdays, Christmas, etc. If you're not tossing out an equal volume of stuff after each gift-receiving holiday.....

I'm sure HB is not "going crazy" about anything here, just attracted to the idea for positive reasons. Oh, and Euphemia, my mother lived in a house growing up with, hmm, I would estimate maybe 600 square feet. With her eight brothers and sisters. So let's not be soft and flabby Modern Gusses.

just another form or tornado/hurricane bait
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

There are regions of the country that don't get hardly any of either.

Plus, if it's on a foundation, it's just as secure as any house with a foundation, and if with a basement, it's just as secure as any house with a basement. More-so, all else equal, because smaller, shorter outline = more aerodynamic.

Buy bigger than you think you'll need....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My smallest house was about 1000 sf with no basement. I like bigger houses.

I read an article a little while ago about the downsides of living in a tiny house. I wish I could find it, but the things I remember most:
    There were 2 people living there, and it meant they were always right on top of each other.
    Smells were magnified.
    Things wore out much faster because they were, by necessity, used more.

The author, who was living in one by necessity and not choice, concluded that the push toward tiny houses shouldn't be encouraged because it was more akin to living in a 3rd world country than anything else. That struck a chord with me, because I realized most of the people on Facebook gushing over these things had 1000 sf kitchens in their own homes.

ETA: Here's a blogger who tried it and didn't care for it: https://clotheslinetinyhomes.com/201...-a-tiny-house/
    Last edited by angelatc; 09-22-2017 at 09:16 AM.