Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump: Rand Paul 'negative force' on fixing health care Graham-Cassidy Bill is GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Do you think they can get 60 votes on a bill ten days or more from now when they can't get the 50 they need now?
    They can kill the filibuster any time they want.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you think they can get 60 votes on a bill ten days or more from now when they can't get the 50 they need now?
    Do you think you could be any more dramatic?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Cut the bull$#@!. And look at the dates on these two articles, everybody.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-chance-235877

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/35...peal-obamacare
    One date matters- that is September 30th, end of the fiscal year.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/de...rticle/2633213

Deadline for fast track Obamacare repeal bill expires Sept. 30

Republicans have until Sept. 30 to repeal Obamacare with only 51 votes in the Senate under the current budget resolution, further complicating the GOP's attempts to try again after a failed attempt in late July.

The Senate Parliamentarian ruled on Friday that the procedural tool called reconciliation, which Republicans hoped to use to bypass a filibuster in the Senate, expires on Sept. 30. Reconciliation allows a Senate bill to be advanced with only 51 votes instead of the 60 votes that are usually needed.

The GOP passed a budget resolution back in January that sets up the instructions on how to pass a healthcare bill through reconciliation. The procedural tool has some restrictions for using the budget pathway, including that legislation must slightly reduce the deficit and include only items that impact budget and spending levels.

But that resolution and reconciliation instructions expire on Sept. 30 at the end of the federal fiscal year, which means the fast-track tool for passing Obamacare repeal also expires then.

To continue to use reconciliation past that deadline, Republicans would have to pass a new budget resolution after Sept. 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They can kill the filibuster any time they want.
    If they can get 60 votes to do so. Republicans would need ten Democrats to join them.

That's not the question. The question is whether Graham's bill is the last and only chance to address Obamacare. The answer is clearly no. The establishment vowed they wouldn't come back to healthcare right after the last vote and here they are again already.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

One date matters- that is September 30th, end of the fiscal year.

Republicans have until Sept. 30 to repeal Obamacare with only 51 votes in the Senate under the current budget resolution, further complicating the GOP's attempts to try again after a failed attempt in late July.

To continue to use reconciliation past that deadline, Republicans would have to pass a new budget resolution after Sept. 30.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/de...rticle/2633213
    Oh, the horror. What an impossible hurdle.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    That's not the question. The question is whether Graham's bill is the last and only chance to address Obamacare. The answer is clearly no. The establishment vowed they wouldn't come back to healthcare right after the last vote and here they are again already.
    In theory, yes, they could pass a new bill after that. But after September 30th, they need to pick up ten Democrats to vote with them to do so. Not gonna happen. They can't get 50 votes right now. Think picking up ten more votes will be easy?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-20-2017 at 01:28 PM.

If they can get 60 votes to do so. Republicans would need ten Democrats to join them.
    No they wouldn't.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Regarding process, the GOP majority could at any time deploy the "nuclear option" and end the filibuster, permanently or just for a specific bill.

They don't because then they'd have to find another excuse for their conscious choice to not undertake any meaningful reforms.

Hint #1

When Trump wants something to happen, there is often resistance.

Hint #2

Have you EVER in your entire life heard Trump tweet out, "Me and this other guy are great friends, but he is totally screwing us over right now!" (Please cite examples)
    So disparaging an honest senator for doing what's right by NOT going along with bad legislation is just some form of completely obvious rudimentary reverse psychology.

Gotcha.

Cmon broseph

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    So disparaging an honest senator for doing what's right by NOT going along with bad legislation is just some form of completely obvious rudimentary reverse psychology.

Gotcha.

Cmon broseph
    So can you answer Hint #2??

Trump tweets A LOT. About other people. ALL THE TIME.

Surely, after all those tweets, you can find Trump saying what a great friend of someone he is while talking about how they are screwing us all over, at the same time?

Otherwise, to me, this seems unprecedented and thus to judge it by it's face might not be the best way to think about it.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Regarding process, the GOP majority could at any time deploy the "nuclear option" and end the filibuster, permanently or just for a specific bill.

They don't because then they'd have to find another excuse for their conscious choice to not undertake any meaningful reforms.
    They are reluctant to get rid of the filibuster because they may want to have it in the future should they lose control at some point.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...the-filibuster

McConnell shoots down Trump's call to end the filibuster

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is shooting down President Trump's push for Republicans to change the Senate's rules for blocking legislation.

Asked if Republicans would nix the 60-vote filibuster to allow legislation to pass by a simple majority, McConnell told reporters, "That will not happen."

"There is an overwhelming majority on a bipartisan basis not interested in changing the way the Senate operates on the legislative calendar" on legislation, McConnell said during a weekly press conference.

Trump tweeted on Tuesday morning that voters should either elect more Republicans or get rid of the 60-vote requirement needed for ending debate on legislation.

"The reason for the plan negotiated between the Republicans and Democrats is that we need 60 votes in the Senate which are not there! We either elect more Republican Senators in 2018 or change the rules now to 51%. Our country needs a good 'shutdown' in September to fix mess!" he wrote in a series of tweets.

But McConnell — who pledged last month to keep the filibuster — said the move would "fundamentally change the way the Senate has worked for a very long time. We're not going to do that."

Republicans currently have a 52-seat majority in the Senate, meaning under the current rules they need at least eight Democratic votes to move most legislation. If they went "nuclear" and changed the rules, they could pass legislation with 51 votes.

Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) echoed his GOP counterpart, noting that a majority of senators have backed keeping the higher 60-vote threshold.

"I think the idea of using the nuclear option for legislative stuff is pretty much dead," Schumer said.

There's been little public appetite among senators to nix the legislative filibuster in the wake of Republicans going "nuclear" to lower the threshold to a simple majority for Supreme Court nominees.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), the No. 2 Senate Republican, defended the legislative filibuster after Trump's tweet.

"The rules have saved us from a lot of really bad policy. ... I know we all are into short-term gratification, but it's a real mistake, I think, from a legislative standpoint," he said.

They are reluctant to get rid of the filibuster because they may want to have it in the future should they lose control at some point.
    So they say.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...the-filibuster
    As if the Dems play by the rules?

Both sides love the filibuster because it gives them an excuse to sell out their voters, but the Dems break any rule they want when they really want something, the Repubs never do because they don't really want anything the Dems don't.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Graham-Cassidy... the antithesis of anything worth a $hit.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Paul wasted no time in responding to Trump's accusation, and just moments later responded that "#GrahamCassidy is amnesty for Obamacare. It keeps it, it does not repeal it. I will keep working with the President for real repeal."
    #GrahamCassidy is amnesty for Obamacare. It keeps it, it does not repeal it. I will keep working with the President for real repeal.
    — Senator Rand Paul (@RandPaul) September 20, 2017
    According to the Hill, earlier this week, Paul expressed concern that the Republicans' latest attempt to repeal ObamaCare might pass.
    “There's a big groundswell of people pushing for this,” Paul told Reporters on Monday. “Two weeks ago, I’d have said zero [chance it’ll pass], but now I’m worried.”
    He said the bill "does not look, smell or even sound like repeal" and “I’m kind of surprised this has been resurrected because I don’t think it has been fully thought through." He also said the bill exists "mostly to take money from four Democratic states and redistribute it to Republican states."
    However, just like during the last two failed attempts to repeal Obamacare, it will not be up to Paul but senators John McCain and Lisa Murkowski who will decide the fate of the Republicans latest ObamaCare repeal effort. The two were among the three Republicans, along with Sen. Susan Collins who sunk the last GOP effort to repeal ObamaCare.
    With Paul saying he is voting no and Collins thought to be a likely opponent, the bill would need both McCain and Murkowski to vote yes to pass.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...ately-responds

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump is going to deal. This is what he does.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The House would also have to pass anything the Senate approves- and they would have to vote "as is"- under reconciliation rules they would be unable to change anything in it.

Hint #1

When Trump wants something to happen, there is often resistance.

Hint #2

Have you EVER in your entire life heard Trump tweet out, "Me and this other guy are great friends, but he is totally screwing us over right now!" (Please cite examples)
    Great catch seems like after the Afghanistan push Trump still wants to get re elected and doesn't want to lose the Paul' vote. Ofcourse Rand Paul has been taking advantage of this by pushing liberty policies and ascribing them to "stuff he talked about with Trump in private". You ever wonder why Trump doesn't talk about liberty in public?

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    He is also known to scam good hearted trusting folks like you which can be seen with his Trump university scandal. This is the kind of deals he is good at, don't fall for it

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Paul wasted no time in responding to Trump's accusation, and just moments later responded that "#GrahamCassidy is amnesty for Obamacare. It keeps it, it does not repeal it. I will keep working with the President for real repeal."
    That's a good line. According to the Hill, earlier this week, Paul expressed concern that the Republicans' latest attempt to repeal ObamaCare might pass.
    “There's a big groundswell of people pushing for this,” Paul told Reporters on Monday. “Two weeks ago, I’d have said zero [chance it’ll pass], but now I’m worried.”
    He said the bill "does not look, smell or even sound like repeal" and “I’m kind of surprised this has been resurrected because I don’t think it has been fully thought through." He also said the bill exists "mostly to take money from four Democratic states and redistribute it to Republican states."
    Bad flashbacks of Commissar Roosevelt buying a permanent electoral majority with taxpayer money...

Other similarities: starting as vague populist, drifting gradually leftward as the economic problems he created/didn't fix got worse.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Really great, terrific, and wonderful deals, the best, I'm sure.

Because the anti-Trump fervor is so high that politicians on the left are very weary of supporting anything that Trump supports.

If Trump came out against the bill, then Dems might start supporting it. By Trump supporting the bill, the Dems have to come out against it or they will look bad in front of their constituents.

So in addition to not getting Dem votes, this puts pressure on Republicans to pass the bill. If they can't, then it shows they are weak, and maybe they will get voted out in 2018 in favor of some better candidates. This is similar to my theory last time, that by supporting the bill he can fully place the blame on Paul Ryan later on and this will help get rid of Paul Ryan. My theory has not proven to be incorrect, I was hoping the timing would be sooner but if Paul Ryan can't get these bills through at some point it will be very easy to portray him as a failure.. But if Trump didn't support the bill, it would embolden Paul Ryan because he could come out and say he is fighting the President as well so it doesn't make him look as bad that it didn't pass.

I'm looking for another example of where Trump was so upset at someone who in the very same sentence he called a friend.

Sure, there are pro-Ron Paul tweets by Trump and anti-Ron Paul tweets by Trump, but those are usually years apart. It is not often when in the same sentence Trump condemns somebody while also saying what a great person they are. I just haven't seen much of a precedent for this, which should make you think that something might be up.
    LOL... Don't you ever get tired of this?! The mental gymnastics it takes to keep up the slobbering is impressive, I must say. Better hope you don't get lockjaw.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    You ever wonder why Trump doesn't talk about liberty in public?
    No. I never do.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I forgot if I had said to myself to hold criticism of Trumpster for 6 months or a year.. either way "loose canon" should not allow itself to be allied with neocons and return focus on alt-fakenews, Hillary, ISIS Founding fathers etc. DGPcare should go but Trump needs to once in a while get away from lazy analysis of complex situations.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    No. I never do.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...us-authoritar/

Ron Paul calls Donald Trump a ‘dangerous’ authoritarian: ‘The opposite of a Libertarian’

Former Republican Rep. Ron Paul on Wednesday blasted GOP presidential hopeful Donald Trump as a “dangerous” authoritarian on a power trip who won’t value civil liberties the way a U.S. president should.

“I think he’s is a dangerous person,” saidMr. Paul, whose son, Sen. Rand Paul is running against Mr. Trump for the Republican presidential nomination.

And a lot of people find him sort of funny, and love him, even Libertarian types,” Mr. Paul, who is now a registered Libertarian, lamented on Fox News Radio. “They like him because he’s so disruptive to the party system, and I enjoy that too. But I think he’s a man that if conditions deteriorate, which they can — see I work on the assumption that the world is no more stable than Greece, and if those conditions come, people want to be told what to do: ‘And I know what the answer is, and I’ll do this, and I am the man to this.’

“And [Mr. Trump] comes across this very well, and people listen to him, and I believe he may be raising white horses someplace and he’s going to ride in,” Mr. Paul continued. “Because he is almost the opposite of a Libertarian, because it’s not like ‘I want to give you your freedom and your liberty to run your life as you choose. Your civil liberties are absolutely yours, you can’t hurt anybody, it’s your own money you can spend it any way you want.’ But he sounds like the person, ‘I know the answers and I’m going to do this and I’ve done this, I’ve done this, this and this.’”

“An authoritarian?” Fox’s Alan Colmes asked.

“He’s an authoritarian and that’s the way he claims he made all his money. So I see that as dangerous,” Mr. Paul responded.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Has anyone read this $#@!ing bill ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Has anyone read this $#@!ing bill ?
    Like the last time, they are trying to rush it though without giving anybody the chance to.

Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Dump is making preparations for 2020 I see.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast