Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forced Takeover of Catalan Government Institutions by Spanish Police

Madrid is sending three ships with a total of 6,000 non-Catalan police reinforcements to Barcelona in the coming week. In reaction, the stevedores at Barcelona Port have voted not to provide any services to the ships, which they consider to be “ships of repression.”

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...orse-catalonia
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm thinking, if its a "NO" vote then there will be a general strike. If it's a "YES" vote the Catalan Assembly has promised to declare independence within 48 hrs of the vote and possible marshal law?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If they go IRA they will find a sponsor, there are plenty of people who would love to see Spain and the EU set on fire.
    Anybody in particular?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Anybody in particular?
    Catalonia is pretty chummy with the muslim "refugees" so any islamic terrorist groups are a possibility, China or Russia come to mind, the visegrad group, might like to give the rest of the EU something else to worry about, I'm sure there are more.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Catalonia is pretty chummy with the muslim "refugees" so any islamic terrorist groups are a possibility, China or Russia come to mind, the visegrad group, might like to give the rest of the EU something else to worry about, I'm sure there are more.
    Ok, might even regress to past alliances and secure arms through Mexico. Can you say, drug cartel?

Ok, might even regress to past alliances and secure arms through Mexico. Can you say, drug cartel?
    If Brexit goes sour the UK might want to help too.

And then there is always the Pentagon and the CIA if they feel capricious.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yeah, well, where there's a buck I'll make it.

I'm thinking, if its a "NO" vote then there will be a general strike. If it's a "YES" vote the Catalan Assembly has promised to declare independence within 48 hrs of the vote and possible marshal law?
    If its an honest vote (even if illegal under their constitution) < contradict? I would recognize it as long as its held fairly and open under no duress.

If its an honest vote (even if illegal under their constitution) < contradict? I would recognize it as long as its held fairly and open under no duress.
    That reminds me of something, due to the Crimean issue Russia would be very likely to recognize and support Catalonia (overtly or covertly), everyone on the pro-Ukie bandwagon will undoubtedly side with Spain (at least in public)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That reminds me of something, due to the Crimean issue Russia would be very likely to recognize and support Catalonia (overtly or covertly), everyone on the pro-Ukie bandwagon will undoubtedly side with Spain (at least in public)
    Of course, Russia always wants/needs a warm water port. They have support in Malaga.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Time we pressure the E.U.

Time we pressure the E.U.
    tweet en route...

Defiant Catalans Block Spain's Military Boats From Landing; Spain Seizes ".CAT" Domain

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-23/defiant-catalans-block-spains-military-boats-landing-spain-seizes-cat-domain

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Catalan Police Rejects Madrid Takeover, Vows To "Resist"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-23/spain-crisis-catalan-police-rejects-madrid-takover-blasts-move-unacceptable

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-23/spain-crisis-catalan-police-rejects-madrid-takover-blasts-move-unacceptable
    [sic] Ironically, as Bloomberg writes, while Mossos chief Trapero reports to the regional government, his force’s funding is mostly provided by Madrid and it’s supposed to take orders from judges and prosecutors from across the country. Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution lets the central government take control of a regional administration if it poses a threat to the national interest. Rajoy has already made moves in that direction.

Sounds like the local police force will have to defect/disband and receive authority under Catalan Assembly. Which brings up the issue of wheater or not natioanl troops would defect/disobey orders as authorized under their constitution. I'm expecting to see road blocks and burning tires.

"Go Out & Vote!" - Catalan Separatists Defy Spain, Distribute 1 Million Ballots Ahead Of Referendum

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-24/go-out-vote-catalan-separatists-defy-spain-distribute-1-million-ballots-ahead-refere

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...e-unacceptable
    The Catalan Police (Mossos) have been ordered by the Public Prosecutor's Office to close and occupy all premises that will or might be used as polling stations in the region to prevent them from being used for Sunday's independence referendum vote, suspended by the Constitutional Court.
    The Public Prosecutor's Office confirmed to The Spain Report on Wednesday morning that the document and the orders it contains were genuine.
    Officers must close and cordon off the centres until 9 p.m. on Sunday evening and make it clear that the police cordon is not to be broken, warning people they are liable to criminal prosecution if they do so.

They have been ordered to remove anyone already in the polling stations, and seize any items being used for the vote, "especially ballot boxes, computers, ballot papers and election documents and propaganda".

They may repeat the removals and seizures if people try to break the police line during the day.
    The cordons and closures must be in place by Saturday, September 30.
    Mossos officers must report any infractions of the polling station orders, and may request local police, National Police and Civil Guard back up if they believe they need it.
    The Catalan Police must also prevent people designated as polling officers from being able to access the premises designated as polling stations, which is due to happen from 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.
    Finally, the Mossos have been told to prevent the vote taking place anywhere within 100 metres of the designated premises, "including on public streets".
    Catalan Police chiefs are worried about the public order and manpower requirements stemming from the order, Spanish media reported.
    The prosecutor says that despite efforts by the central government to disable the logistical preparation for the vote, Catalan leaders are insisting some kind of vote will take place on Sunday.
    Also on Wednesday morning, the Catalan First Minister unilaterally called a meeting of the Catalan Security Council, a regional policing body. That move was rejected by the Home Office two days ago.
    A meeting of senior police chiefs in the region is taking place this morning. The prosecutor's office in Catalonia told The Spain Report that the polling station issue would likely be on the agenda.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Madrid goes North Korea:

Over the past week the Spanish government has stepped up its efforts to stop the unilateral vote by deploying thousands of extra police officers to Catalonia and taking control of the region’s finances. …

As well as arresting 14 Catalan government officials and seizing almost 10m ballot papers, police and the courts have been taking down websites connected to the referendum.

On Monday police summoned 17 people for questioning over the development of web platforms related to the vote. … the 17 were suspected of “disseminating a website for people to participate in a referendum declared illegal by the constitutional court”. … they were alleged to have “made it easy for people to get documents … to organise …”.

Catalonia’s regional president, Carles Puigdemont, has tweeted links to websites telling people where to vote on Sunday, but the posts were removed after a court ordered that sites used to share such information be blocked.

On Monday evening the website of the large pro-independence group the Catalan National Assembly (ANC) was taken down by Spain’s Guardia Civil. It reappeared at a different address within an hour. …

It shows that the government cares more about stopping people from voting than they do about preserving freedoms in Spain.” …

What they’re doing by blocking domain name servers is doing what Turkey does and what China does and what North Korea does,” …

Spain’s interior ministry did not respond to requests for comment.

On Wednesday afternoon Spain’s national court announced it was planning to investigate whether sedition charges should be brought against protesters who took part in a 40,000-strong demonstration in Barcelona
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The provinces are "autonomous," meaning they're sovereign in all matters the constitution leaves up to them, and which the provinces articulate in their own constitutions.

Spain is now blaming Russian propaganda for the Catalonia situation

https://www.infowars.com/russian-influence-reaches-catalonia/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Spain Says "Referendum Won't Happen", To Shut Barcelona Airspace After Catalan Separatists Unveil Ballot Boxes

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-29/catalan-separatists-unveil-ballot-boxes-spain-shut-barcelona-airspace-says-referendu

Catalonia Bonds Collapse As Police Warn Of Chaos If Referendum Canceled

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-28/catalonia-bonds-collapse-police-warn-chaos-if-referendum-canceled

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Spanish Government Orders Google To Delete App Used For Catalan Independence Vote

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-29/spanish-government-orders-google-delete-app-used-catalan-independence-vote

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Basque region (Northern Spain) standing in solidarity with Catalan.

https://www.thelocal.es/20170917/tho...ependence-vote

Organisers said 35,000 people rallied in the northern city of Bilbao -- a symbolic protest in a region still marked by decades of violence once waged by armed separatist group ETA, and where the desire for independence remains strong.

The Basque region (Northern Spain) standing in solidarity with Catalan.

https://www.thelocal.es/20170917/tho...ependence-vote

Organisers said 35,000 people rallied in the northern city of Bilbao -- a symbolic protest in a region still marked by decades of violence once waged by armed separatist group ETA, and where the desire for independence remains strong.
    I see a joint rebellion on the horizon.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I see a joint rebellion on the horizon.
    at the very least financial and moral support. I see a general strike coming.

https://www.dn.pt/mundo/interior/cat...l-8809891.html

O máximo representante do governo espanhol na Catalunha anunciou hoje que a polícia já fechou e selou mais de metade das 2.315 assembleias de voto designadas para acolher, no domingo, o referendo pela independência considerado ilegal pela justiça espanhola...
    Basically, the Spanish government has closed more than half of the polling places in Catalonia.
    Stop believing stupid things

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Spanish Government Orders Google To Delete App Used For Catalan Independence Vote

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...ependence-vote
    Google complies and blocks a user app that allows users to share links to polling stations.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Tens of thousands of Basque citizens rally in support of Catalonia referendum

"Pro-independence parties in Basque Country are showing their support for Catalonia’s referendum on Sunday. Tens of thousands of people attended a rally on Friday in the capital of the autonomous community in northern Spain backing Catalan separatists."

Last edited by AZJoe; 09-30-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Catalans Occupy Schools, Blockade Roads Amid Police/Government Threats, "History's About To Be Written"

s tensions come to a boiling point across Catalonia, separatists are occupying more than 160 schools designated as polling stations on Saturday in an attempt to keep them open ahead of Sunday’s referendum on independence from Spain.
    “The history of my country is going to be decided in the next few hours, so there’s no way I’m going to be staying at home in bed and watch it on TV,” said Eduard Elías, 50, a computer science engineer at a school in the Raval neighborhood of Barcelona, adding that he would leave only if the confrontation became violent.

“Imagine you would have been offered the chance to fight alongside George Washington,” Mr. Elías said.

“At that time, revolution meant weapons and war, but we’re now in the 21st century and we will have our paper ballots instead to bring about real change.”

But, as The FT reports, a top Spanish official in Catalonia said that police had sealed off more than half of the 2,315 designated polling stations.
    Spanish national police and their Catalan counterparts have orders to close all polling stations in the region by 6am on Sunday.
    Spanish courts have ruled the referendum illegal and the central government in Madrid has voted to stop it.
    Pro-independence supporters are hoping the police will be unable or unwilling to physically stop them voting them if they gather in sufficient numbers.

Catalan’s regional government, elected in 2015, has said that it will declare independence within 48 hours of a Yes vote.

This could force the Spanish state to step in and temporarily suspend Catalan autonomy, taking Madrid into uncharted constitutional territory.
    During a demonstration in Barcelona on Friday night, regional president Carles Puigdemont said that the Catalan nation had “already won” ahead of Sunday’s vote.

“We have already won, we have won over the fears and the threats of an authoritarian state that didn’t want to let us get this far and tried to make us surrender at the first sign of difficulty,” he said.

“On Sunday we have a date with the future, and on Monday we will begin to take that path,” he said, although he gave no indication of how exactly they would go about trying to take independence in the event of a Yes vote.
    Sunday’s vote is illegal and a declaration of independence would have little international support. However, a strong turnout and a majority Yes vote could embolden the long-term separatist cause.
    Analysts also warn of the danger of increased anti-Madrid sentiment in the region if Spanish authorities crack down hard.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...policegovernme

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What would happen to Spain in case of Catalonia’s secession? As GEFIRA explains, in terms of the debt sustainability parameters laid down by the Treaty of Maastricht, it’d be the Eurozone debt crisis 2.0.
    As Spain now maintains the second year of 3% GDP growth, an even bigger, immediate fiscal threat is looming. After multiple ineffective referendums in the previous years, this time the Catalan government is likely to finally assert independence. What will it look like against the background of the Maastricht financial requirements?
    Debt to GDP ratio

The Treaty of Maastricht says it should be 60%. Spain’s debt to GDP ratio was 39% in 2007, but after the financial crisis it gradually rose to 99.4% today. Should Catalonia leave, there are two possible scenarios:
    1. Catalonia agrees to take a share of the Spanish total debt, as a “divorce bill”, because after all it benefited from the government spending in Catalonia itself;

or

2. Catalonia leaves without taking any share of the total Spanish debt.
    In the first case, nothing would change, assuming Catalonia would agree to take the share of Spanish debt equal to its share in Spain’s total GDP. In that case, Catalonia accounts roughly for 20% of the Spanish GDP, which means it would take 20% of the Spanish debt. Given that the Spanish debt is right now almost the same size as the Spanish GDP, calculations are rather simple.

Source: Statista.
    The second option is rather dramatic. Without Catalonia, Spanish GDP would automatically shrink by 20%, while having to service the entirety of the debt. The debt to GDP percentage ratio would go from 99.4% to 124% overnight.
    Deficit to GDP percentage ratio

The Treaty of Maastricht says it should be 3%. Spain has been way outside it since the financial crisis, with a peak at 11% in 2011. For 2016 it was 4.5%.
    Here the problem is understanding how much more tax revenue Spain gets from Catalonia than it gives. Catalonia says 11.1€ billion, Spain says 8.5€.
    Either way, as the deficit is calculated as expenditure minus revenue, it would be a hole in the revenue of the Spanish government of 8.5 to 11.1€ billion. Last year the deficit/GDP ratio was 4.5%, corresponding to approximately 21€ billion. With the Catalan secession, assuming a 10€ billion hole for simplicity between the estimates of the Spanish and Catalan governments, Spain’s deficit would go up to 60€ billion, while its GDP would shrink by 20%. Result? The deficit to GDP percentage ratio would be 6.7%, back to 2013.
    Conclusion

The doomsday scenario would be Spain waking up with a debt equal to 124% of its GDP and growing, due to the 6.7% deficit, which would take another 4-5 years to be contained. The EU’s response to the possibility of Spanish bankruptcy would be predictable: more austerity. It is important to note that while Spain has been growing for the past two years and unemployment is also decreasing, the recipe chosen by the Spanish government, flexibility of the labour market in the form of temporary jobs, has exacerbated income inequality: as the OECD points out that temporary jobs are low-productivity and thus earn low wages; the precariousness of the job prevents improvements in productivity, thus improvement in wages. The poor remains poor, while the rich gets richer and the gap widens.4)
    Boosting GDP and employment statistics with mini-jobs is thus masquerading an issue common to other Western countries: the collapse of the middle class.
    Catalan independence could prove to be the last nail in the coffin: either Spain goes bankrupt or is forced to implement even more austerity at the risk of facing a revolution from the economically displaced.
    And that's why Madrid doesn't want to lose Catalonia...
    Once before, in October 1934, shortly before the Spanish Civil War (1936 to 1939) broke out, Catalonia had announced its independence from the rest of Spain. This prompted Madrid to sent the army to Barcelona.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...eurozone-spain

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast