Thread: Ad Industry “Deeply Concerned” About Safari’s New Ad-Tracking Restrictions

Ad Industry “Deeply Concerned” About Safari’s New Ad-Tracking Restrictions

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-restrictions/

Apple's latest operating systems for the Mac and iPhone will soon be rolling out, and with that comes new restrictions on ad-tracking in the Safari browser.

Adding a 24-hour limit on ad targeting cookies is good for privacy under Apple's new "Intelligent Tracking Prevention" feature. But if you're an advertiser, the macOS High Sierra and iOS 11 Safari browsers spell gloom and doom for the Internet as we know it. The reason is because Safari is making it harder for advertisers to follow users as they surf the Internet—and that will dramatically reduce the normal bombardment of ads reflecting the sites Internet surfers have visited earlier.

Six major advertising groups have just published an open letter blasting the new tracking restrictions Apple unveiled in June. They say they are "deeply concerned" about them:

The infrastructure of the modern Internet depends on consistent and generally applicable standards for cookies, so digital companies can innovate to build content, services, and advertising that are personalized for users and remember their visits. Apple's Safari move breaks those standards and replaces them with an amorphous set of shifting rules that will hurt the user experience and sabotage the economic model for the Internet.

Apple's unilateral and heavy-handed approach is bad for consumer choice and bad for the ad-supported online content and services consumers love. Blocking cookies in this manner will drive a wedge between brands and their customers, and it will make advertising more generic and less timely and useful.

Full article on link.

---

I have a couple of things to say about how the ad industry looks at us.

#1 - We are PEOPLE, not "Users". Difference here is Users only have a limited set of permissions granted by the ad industry itself. People have RIGHTS. So $#@! you advertisers.

#2 - Safari is not as popular of a browser as chrome is. And Chrome sends everything you do back to Google. Not only that but Chromes default settings offer very little in the way of actual Privacy.

#3 - Cookies are fairly obsolete. There is server side tech that is very close to being unblockable.

What this says to me is that the intentions of the ad industry are nearly the exact opposite of true patriotic American values. Just like Google and Youtube and Facebook trying to censor political points of view that they dont agree with try to shut those voices down. They are doing everything in their power to become the Ministry of Truth.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Chrome is also faster. BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    Chrome is also faster. BTW
    Depends on the way other browsers are configured. Too many plugins in Firefox can slow it down quite a bit. I dont have any experience with Safari tho so cant say much about browser performance. Either way, I dont trust either Safari or Chrome with ANY privacy in ANY form.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Depends on the way other browsers are configured. Too many plugins in Firefox can slow it down quite a bit. I dont have any experience with Safari tho so cant say much about browser performance. Either way, I dont trust either Safari or Chrome with ANY privacy in ANY form.
    I just have too many bookmarks on my chrome at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    I just have too many bookmarks on my chrome at the moment.
    May not have enough ad blocking stuff elsewhere on your computer too. Ads run a ton of scripts and those scripts can cause major slowdown in your browser also.

As always, a very easy solution is an Ad Blocking Hosts File:

MVPS Ad Blocking Hosts File
    winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

If you've never used it before, I guarantee you will be shocked at how much a single static file makes things on your web browsing speed up. Just restart your computer after putting it in the directory appropriate for your OS.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 09-17-2017 at 02:01 AM.
    1776 > 1984