Thread: Deaf community outraged after interpreter signed gibberish before Irma

Deaf community outraged after interpreter signed gibberish before Irma

Deaf community outraged after interpreter signed gibberish before Irma

By Alex Mendoza

September 16, 2017 |

An amateur interpreter for the deaf was tapped at the last minute to provide sign language during a press conference — and things got out of hand.
    Before Hurricane Irma ripped through Florida, Manatee County leaders were preparing to address the public with “crucial” information.
    That’s when, “in a pinch,” they called Marshall Greene to communicate using sign language, according to WFLA.
    Greene, a lifeguard for the county, veered off course when he began signing words like “pizza,” “bear,” and “monster,” among others — words that had nothing to do with the press conference.

“I knew something went horribly wrong,” Charlene McCarthy told WFLA. McCarthy owns VisCom, a company that regularly provides interpreters for the county.
    “It was horribly unnerving for me to watch that, knowing I could provide a qualified, certified interpreter,” she fumed.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/16/deaf-co...h-before-irma/

Related

Sign Language Interpreter at Mandela Memorial Faked It

The unidentified man seen around the world on television next to leaders like U.S. President Barack Obama "was moving his hands around but there was no meaning in what he used his hands for," said Bruno Druchen, the federation's national director.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    McCarthy owns VisCom, a company that regularly provides interpreters for the county.
    “It was horribly unnerving for me to watch that, knowing I could provide a qualified, certified interpreter,” she fumed.
    I hate this woman.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows